You are here

Sound craft ui16

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Sound craft ui16

Postby rdc123 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi guys. Hoping someone can help me out. I'm new to this so apologies.

I have a Soundcraft UI16 and am looking a bit of help on post recording production. The problem I have is that when I record directly off the UI16 facility it only records onto 1 WAV file. Our band are using up to 6-8 channels recording at the same time. So after recording I can't really do anything with the 1 WAV file. I'd really need the 6-8 individual files so i can adjust or re-record bits.

Can I buy software like Ableton or something else that could connect to the UI16 and allow me to record individual channels and then allow me to do some post production on them?

Thanks for your time.
rdc123
New here

Re: Sound craft ui16

Postby CS70 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 pm

Apologies for the bad news, but from what I read it is not possible: you only get a stereo out to usb. Many mixers claim they record to usb in a little deceiving way, as they can’t record individual tracks but only the stereo mix. An exception is the one I use, an Alesis Multimix USB 2.0, and there are a few others.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:04 am

Welcome! :thumbup:

CS70 is correct I'm afraid....

The manual states:

The Ui mixer has built-in media factilities.... The Ui16 can play and record. The player can be used for backing tracks or for background music in between sets, for example, while the Record facility records the main stereo mix.

If you want multitrack recording you'll either need to upgrade to the UI24R or go to a different make and model... The bigger similar Behringer models do multitrack, but only to an external device.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
The older I get, the better I used to be

Postby rdc123 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
Would buying something like Ableton or Cubase help then? Could i route the UI16 through the software so that the software would pick up the individual tracks?
Thanks
rdc123
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:53 am

No. The limitation is within the mixer. The USB interface is only a stereo in/stereo out interface.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby rdc123 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks for all your replies. Not really the outcome i was hoping for! Looks like i will have to decide on buying a new mixer that will give me the functionality i am looking for in being able to record individual WAV files for instrument tracks and then maybe some post recording production software. Expensive!

Thanks again.
rdc123
New here

Postby Kwackman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:26 am

rdc123 wrote: Looks like i will have to decide on buying a new mixer that will give me the functionality i am looking for in being able to record individual WAV files for instrument tracks and then maybe some post recording production software. Expensive!
Maybe not so bad as you think.
Mixer? Depending on what your workflow is, you might not need a mixer. An interface with 8 or more inputs might fit your requirements.
DAW software can be got for very little money.
If you're on a Mac, GarageBand is free (I think), and many people round these parts like Reason which is not expensive.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 pm

I guess some of this hinges on whether you want to record without a computer or whether a 'record to computer' option is acceptable.

If you don't want to use a computer then either the Behringer UFX 1604 or Presonus AR12 or 16 might suit.

I use a QSC Touchmix8 which is not only a superb digital mixer, but also has onboard multitrack capabilities. It's a bit more expensive though.

If you're happy to go with a computer solution, but want to retain live-mix capabilities then you may want to look at the Behringer XR18... comes with free software too!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby molecular » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:19 pm

If you went for the soundcraft because you wanted the wireless mixing ability this might not be for you, but the new Zoom Livetrack L-12 might be worth looking at.
molecular
Frequent Poster
Location: The turn off where the main road goes over the river. If you're at the post box you've gone too far.
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:30 pm

molecular wrote:If you went for the soundcraft because you wanted the wireless mixing ability this might not be for you, but the new Zoom Livetrack L-12 might be worth looking at.

Excellent point! I'd momentarily forgotten all about that... good price too.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby rdc123 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:04 pm

Guys thank you for all the advice. I had a look at all those and the QSC looks awesome. I do like the Sound craft set up so was even thinking of the Sound craft Signature MTK 22. This has a multi track USB which I think is what I'm after. I also need a couple of additional aux outputs for speakers in front of the band as well as the main outputs to the PA system.

If anyone has any other similar products I'm open to other options.

Once again thanks for all your help. I would have been going down the wrong road without the advice on here.

Thanks
rdc123
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:32 pm

I have had a Mackie DL1608 almost since they came out, it's a brilliant mixer and the app is the best out there (IMHO). But others have improved on it (it was the first to market TBF). The DL is still my goto as it is so easy to use but I have also bought two Behringer X32s (Compact and Rack) for bigger gigs and an XR12 for my little bar gigs.

Observations :-

The Mackie has the best app, especially for the 'hard of iPad mixing'.

The X32's were streets ahead of anything else in their price range when they came out, I'm a little out of touch now but I suspect others are catching up.

The XR12 is great in most respects but the onboard wifi is not good so budget for an external router (I use an Apple Airport's with the Mackie and X32s which are excellent).

Behringer's mixing apps are pretty good but not as good as Mackie's. I haven't used the QSC app but it (and the mixers) are well regarded. I have used the various Allen & Heath apps and they are as good but no better than the Berry apps (again IMHO).

My recommendation would be to look at an X32 Rack if you can afford it or an XR16/18 otherwise but the QSC has a lot to commend it at a premium price.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Bob Bickerton » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:27 am

I haven’t used the Soundcraft MTK desks myself, but going from the specs, they would be my first choice if I were after a USB multitrack solution from what would otherwise be an analogue desk.

The QSC TouchMix is excellent in that you don’t need to lug a computer around with you. Just plug a hard drive in and press record. I recently replaced one that was damaged though with a Midas MR18. This is the up market version of the Behringer XR18 and well worth the upgrade. Unlike the QSC you can adjust the channel gains remotely which is very useful if you’re mixing from an iPad across the room.

From what you’ve described though, the QSC would seem to be an excellent solution.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby rdc123 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Thanks for all your help. After looking into them all i think I will get the QSC. It looks to have everything I am after.
Really appreciate it.
rdc123
New here

Postby rdc123 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:11 am

Hi again.
Has anyone any thoughts on or any experience with the Stagescape M20D? Ive seen one for a very good price and was thinking of this as another option?
Thanks
rdc123
New here

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:29 am

This seems to have been a 'big push' by Line6 that didn't get many takers and appeared to fizzle-out quite quickly. That's why they're going for bargain prices.

I don't have one and know no-one who's got one. However, I've picked up from other forums that those who have them have experienced problems. Most of the posts I've read have been of the "... and Line6 don't want to know/never respond to my emails" variety.

In summary; not mainstream and not had a good take-up. Your choice of course, but I'd think hard before splashing cash...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster