You are here

Need some feedback please on a Hindi ballad track

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Need some feedback please on a Hindi ballad track

Postby ashutoshu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:45 am

We created this track with Reason 9.5 a few days ago. Looking for some feedback/ suggestions on the work done. Song is in Hindi language and basically based on the realization that as we grow older we forget the child within us.

https://youtu.be/LEHPk_uT6Yk

Please feel free to comment on quality of mix, master or any other things you want to suggest :)

Thanks.
ashutoshu

Re: Need some feedback please on a Hindi ballad track

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:41 pm

It's certainly very polished, for me there's a couple of things I'd do differently perhaps.
The vocals are quite toppy, it's a bit too present for me. I think I'd also be tempted to bring down some of the synth levels as well - there's a couple of places e.g. 1:46 where they drop out and the simpler production works very well.
Just my tuppence worth... :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ashutoshu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:59 am

Thank you, @blinddrew.
Did you notice any distortion in the track as well ?
ashutoshu

Postby CS70 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 am

Second Drew on the vocal level, to me as well it's a trifle high, at least on the DT990. A little touch down on the fader or even better a hi shelf reduction on the highs would glue things a little bit more. Very radio friendly this way tough!

Otherwise good production.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ashutoshu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:20 pm

CS70 wrote:Second Drew on the vocal level, to me as well it's a trifle high, at least on the DT990. A little touch down on the fader or even better a hi shelf reduction on the highs would glue things a little bit more. Very radio friendly this way tough!

Otherwise good production.

Thanks - Do you feel the amount of reverb is fine on Vocals ? any distortion in the mix ?
ashutoshu

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:31 pm

I didn't notice anything amiss with reverb levels but I was only listening on headphones, and I always find that a bit more tricky to judge.
Likewise I didn't notice any excess distortion in the overall mix - but there are much better ears than mine out there. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby DC-Choppah » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:30 am

Hey man really enjoyed the song!

Beautiful lush sound and well played. I get the feeling of what you are saying even though I don't understand the words. You conveyed some real emotion hear in a sophisticated way.

I really enjoyed the guitar sound and the way it was played and how the vocals and guitar interacted. This does not sound like it was punched-in, and sounds like most everyone played at the same time. That is no easy feat to pull off.

I listen with an open mind and am your audience, so please understand what I say next from that point of view...

When the drums came I was disappointed somehow at first. They lacked the emotional content of the other instruments. They sounded flat and stuck on. They lacked the same lush ambiance that the other instruments found themselves in. So the drums made me realize immediately that we were hearing a punch in of a MIDI track tacked on top. This lead to a feeling of disappointment.

Then as the song climaxed, the drums were unchanged, again telling me the track was synthetic and robbed of some emotion.

Finally at the end, the drums just stopped without any change or build up. Again the drums robbed me of the emotional experience.

What I hear in my head is what a real drummer would play who feels the song as it is being played and flows and changes his mood as the song progresses.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster