You are here

Can I connect a mixer straight to my PC without losing quali

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Can I connect a mixer straight to my PC without losing quali

Postby las7h0p3 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:04 am

I'm going to purchase a mixer for live streaming and I was wondering if I get one without usb interface and connect it (analog) straight to my PC (without an audio interface) will the quality be worse? Is it okay to do so?
I'm looking to buy the BEHRINGER XENYX1002FX which is perfect for the budged that I have, but it doesn't have an USB interface.
Or should I stick with the BEHRINGER Xenyx Q1002 USB which is the same price, but doesn't have the build in sound FX like the other one.
las7h0p3

Re: Can I connect a mixer straight to my PC without losing quali

Postby resistorman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:06 am

Do you have a line level audio input into your PC, as opposed to an unbalanced mic input? If so, you have a fighting chance for it to sound OK for streaming with the correct wiring. I’m not sure how the latency will work out, though if you can use wasapi in your app, that can be pretty tight.
resistorman
Regular
future26.com

Postby las7h0p3 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:03 am

Ah, I see... dang it, I don't have the line level audio input :\ It seems that I'll be getting the usb without the fx mixer.

Thanks for your answer! :)
las7h0p3

Postby resistorman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:28 pm

If you’re streaming just your voice, you can get a usb mic pretty cheap, but I assume since you want a mixer you’re working with more than one source...
resistorman
Regular
future26.com

Postby ef37a » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:13 pm

You don't want a bog standard USB mixer, trust me (and find me on this elsewhere) .

The 1002FX will be fine as a mixer and it MIGHT work ok going into the 3.5mm jack on the laptop but it might not. One solution is to also buy the Behringer UCA 202 line (-10dBV) interface.

Oddly, even though the 202 is a basic 16bit device like the mixers, it is much better and delivers a respectable -85dBFS noise floor. There is a variant the UFO 202 which is exactly the same device but also has RIAA corrected inputs for a magnetic phono cartridge.

Of course, the best results would come from a 'proper' audio interface such as the Steinberg UR22 but maybe a mixer suits your intended 'MO'?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster