You are here

It's the room stupid!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: It's the room stupid!

Postby blinddrew » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:34 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:If you can persuade the domestic powers that be that a home cinema is a good idea you're probably home and searching for a towel.......
"You're going to run wires where?" "You can't put a big speaker there, it can go under the couch" :lol: :lol: :(

I guess the speakers in the tv will have to do!

And, I suppose, if you were successful you'd find her half way through watching Notting Hill for the 47th time just when you had a great song idea...........
To be fair, my set up is pretty indulgent really, so I can't complain: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wgQE4qoVKzaeoOOK2
Just no treatment... :(
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:37 pm

You really need to get those tweeters up to ear level. Unless you have ears on your knees?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:50 pm

I'm really short...

Actually generally I only use the speakers when sitting in the other chair in the room, which is a low armchair that I pull into the right spot. Like I say, it's headphones for me 90% of the time, the THX10 doubles up as a grotbox as well.
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:37 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I totally agree that a well treated room is the holy grail.
I do have a question for those who have been mixing for many years. I am not a great mixer but can still do a good mix in a pinch. I have found that even in an untreated room with low quality monitors and headphones I can still do a good mix that I would not be embarrassed about.

If you have a less than great system that you are really familiar with you can probably produce a reasonable mix on it. Sometimes I'll do an in the box mix on the living room speakers (B&O S45's) but I nearly always need to tweak it a little when I hear it in the studio as the studio monitors are just so much more revealing.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby job » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:54 pm

I just finished off the acoustic treatment i had planned. I started with it behind the speakers, above my head and on the side walls. The difference was interesting. Things tightened is the best way i can think of to describe it, particularly noticeable on kicks. I first put on Eminem and i was like woah, the kick sounds like that does it... The biggest change though came after i just did the final piece as was waiting for additional material to arrive. I ended up strapping a heavy and light slab together and rested them diagonally against the wall under my desk so it's basically the hypotenuse of a triangle (which has the added bonus of hiding all the cables!). This wasn't actually what was suggested to me mind but is it something that might cause negative consequences that i don't know about? It sounds good. In fact the difference is huge. I first put on Muse and... i've never heard Muse sound like this. It's actually like i got a different pair of speakers. It was quite disconcerting at first to be honest but i'm now liking the extra definition and nuances. Playing the staircase (https://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net/as ... WrsWnskYqk), things are much more uniform now, although 17s-19s still sticks out quite a bit so i guess i still have issues.

But here's to budgeting in 2018 for some proper speakers! :thumbup:
job
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:42 pm

job wrote:In fact the difference is huge. I first put on Muse and... i've never heard Muse sound like this. It's actually like i got a different pair of speakers.

Yep... in an untreated room no speaker can deliver what it's designer intended, and the sound quality is often significantly degraded; most people aren't actually realising the true capabilities of their speakers. Yet it doesn't actually cost much or take much effort to improve matters dramatically.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby job » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:46 pm

Yeah it's so cool. I'm honestly blown away by what it's done. I wasn't actually expecting such a big difference. I was thinking sure, i'll be able to hear frequencies better and stuff like that, but it's not an exaggeration to say it's night and day. Things are definite now, like bass and harmonies, i can hear them as precise elements of the mix (as far as my own experience goes anyway). Certainly compared to previously where it was just this wishy-washy something that happened in the background. Things are separated and have a defined location. Hearing elements i've never heard. My speakers are just budget entry level things too. It's just brilliant.
job
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:32 pm

Once you've heard the difference some acoustic treatment can make in typical small rooms it's difficult to do without such treatment ever again.

I still wince when people ask how much difference buying a £1000 mic preamp will make to their recordings, when they admit to having no acoustic treatment in place - a few hundred pounds spent on the latter will probably make everything in your studio sound better :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:34 am

Nice one job! :thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Previous