You are here

best replacement for my PreSonus Central Station

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: best replacement for my PreSonus Central Station

Postby Jadoube » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The Avocet is a very good monitor controller indeed, but at more than 2.5x the OP's top price, not likely to be in the running...

H

Yeah, the avocet seems more like something my mastering engineer would buy!
Undoubtedly better but not THAT much better. That's a lottery ticket buy. :thumbup:

I am definitely leaning away from any passive designs because I think they require more care and attention that I am realistically willing to commit too. I just want it to work and I think the Drawmer is very strong in this regard.
The new Mackie also if they sound ok... but I lean away from this because I don't listen to enough different things to easily recognize issues until it's too late... like 6 months down the road. In this regard, I rely on the experienced opinions like the folks at SOS who are exposed to a large breadth of good, great and otherwise kit.
Jadoube
Regular
_________
David

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:28 pm

Just to mention (again because I was very impressed by this) when I had a problem with my MC2.1 I wasn't talking to people following scripts in a call centre, I was exchanging emails with the product manager and the service manager. And though my problem was definitely somewhat weird and recalcitrant (a bit like me, maybe) they plugged away at it until eventually my controller was once again working as it should. And they did all this for free even though it was well out of warranty (apart from my shipping charges to them, which I regard as fair enough). I don't know what sort of price you can put on after sales support like that but Drawmer have my deepest respect and that should count, IMHO, in buying decisions.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Jadoube » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:03 am

Hey all... I am going to pull the trigger on a new Drawmer MC3.1. I tried to get happy with my old Central Station again... but I think it's time to part ways. Before I exercise the ol Mastercard.... anything else looking good? Or is Drawmer still the favorite? I certainly love any Drawmer stuff I have owned and this one checks all the boxes... but it is also the most expensive option. Anything new come along in the last couple of months that is worthy?
Jadoube
Regular
_________
David

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:52 am

It might appear the most expensive option, but it punches way above its price point and will serve you well for a great many years. You'd have to pay well over £1k to find anything significantly better, either in terms of sound quality or features. I reckon it's a total no-brainer...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Jadoube » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:20 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote: I reckon it's a total no-brainer...
H

Well then... I qualify! Thank you sir... ordered... and a bit back ordered here in the colonies but hopefully, it won't be too long.
Jadoube
Regular
_________
David

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:04 am

:thumbup:

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Jadoube » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:45 am

Finally got the Drawmer setup... and I like it. Quite a lot! I am a bit surprised how much cleaner it is than my older PreSonus central station... Did not expect that. Thanks for the advice SOS forum peoples... very nice. I think I will now spend the next 4 hours re-listening to a bunch of stuff to get my bearings.

:thumbup:
Jadoube
Regular
_________
David

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:38 am

Welcome to the Drawmer Fan Club!

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:37 pm

Jadoube wrote:I am a bit surprised how much cleaner it is than my older PreSonus central station...

:thumbup: :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous