You are here

PMC TwoTwo.6 vs Neumann KH310

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: PMC TwoTwo.6 vs Neumann KH310

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:24 am

ShahidM wrote:I went with the PMCs, but had a few issues. Firstly some ground looping that I couldnt get rid of.

To be fair, that's an issue with your system and/or your cabling, rather than the PMCs. There's always a way to resolve ground loops...

Secondly, every time I switched the speakers off the red limiter light would flash. I couldn't get an answer from my retailer when asking if this normal.

Yes, it's normal as the power supply rails collapse.

Furthermore, the monitors arrived with scuffs and cosmetic marks brand new.

Having seen the care and attention at the PMC factory first hand, that seems highly unlikely. The monitors are checked and packed very carefully at the factory and I'd be really surprised if they were marked when they went into the boxes. This is equally true for every other manufacturer I've been too -- speakers and hardware. Everything is normally carefully examined and cleaned before its packed to ensure it leaves the factory in pristine condition.

It's rather more likely that your speakers had an outing at the dealer before moving on to you. Perhaps they were checked or demo'd... You can usually tell because the box sealing will be different from the original factory (different tape or tape instead of staples, for example).

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Re dealers unpacking stock (for whatever reason!*)

Trade secret about to be divulged! Look at the BOTTOM of the box. "We" had to check the very first pallets of A30s and so you carefully cut the bottom and extract the combo. That way all the legends/logos on top stay pristine.

You also have to be very sure box and product serial numbers stay together.

*If I was in the trade I would be tempted to take something tasty I could not afford home for a weekend!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:14 pm

ef37a wrote:*If I was in the trade I would be tempted to take something tasty I could not afford home for a weekend!

When I worked as a Saturday assistant in an electrical shop we would insist on unboxing and setting up every TV we sold so effectively they were all ex-demo. The shop manager was had been trained as a service engineer and had plenty of tales of TV's that failed right out of the box.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:39 pm

James Perrett wrote:
ef37a wrote:*If I was in the trade I would be tempted to take something tasty I could not afford home for a weekend!

When I worked as a Saturday assistant in an electrical shop we would insist on unboxing and setting up every TV we sold so effectively they were all ex-demo. The shop manager was had been trained as a service engineer and had plenty of tales of TV's that failed right out of the box.

I was in at the birth of colour TV and you HAD to take them out of the (BIG M!) box and then spend best part of two hours setting the purity and convergence. Then, when you had the monster installed in the customer's home you had to do it all again! And yes, quite a number failed, either at switch on or after some hours.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:53 am

ef37a wrote:...and then spend best part of two hours setting the purity and convergence. Then, when you had the monster installed in the customer's home you had to do it all again!

Ah yes... happy days... Not! :D

I spent a great many tedious hours aligning colour CRT TVs and monitors in my early BBC career.

Doing the same alignment processes on three- and four-tube studio cameras was even worse and took much longer!

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:19 am

Who was it recently had a b****h about "topic creep"? Anyhoos, there must be steam coming out of ears if he is reading this!

From high end monitors to ancient colour tellies!

(BTW. I wonder where all those colour test programmes went? Plastics was good, anyone remember S.I.D.E? )

Love to see them again.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:24 am

There's a catalogue of them here:

https://www.bvws.org.uk/405alive/info/p ... films.html

... and quite a few up on Youtube

H
Hugh Robjohns