You are here

When a mix is stubborn...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

When a mix is stubborn...

Postby Hjlphilp » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:32 pm

Anybody ever have a mix that just wouldn't lock in? You did all your best tricks and it just still didn't sound like what you imagined... just asking

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hjlphilp
Poster

Re: When a mix is stubborn...

Postby Alba » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Yep. I learned to just leave those ones alone. If it requires force then it will always sound forced... IMVHO.
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:35 pm

There's no such thing as unmix-able. All that needs to be done is to find the source of the problem and deal with it. If there truly was a mix that couldn't be mixed then I think I'd have found it by now.

There's always a way forward, even if sometimes it has more to do with diplomacy than anything technical...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Hjlphilp wrote:Anybody ever have a mix that just wouldn't lock in? You did all your best tricks and it just still didn't sound like what you imagined... just asking

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What the Elf says. At worst, you re-start from scratch and you do only the simple, most obvious things and fit in a track at a time.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:04 pm

The Elf wrote:There's always a way forward, even if sometimes it has more to do with diplomacy than anything technical...
:bouncy:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Jack Ruston » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:41 am

It’s usually not the mix. It’s usually that the writing or production is not working on some level. The mix then gets tied up. It’s like making a meal. If any of the handful of main ingredients are of average quality, or missing, it doesn’t matter how good a cook you are. But conversely if they’re all of the finest quality you can often get away with small errors and still get a superb result, even if not quite what Marcus Wareing etc could do.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hjlphilp » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:26 am

Jack Ruston wrote:It’s usually not the mix. It’s usually that the writing or production is not working on some level. The mix then gets tied up. It’s like making a meal. If any of the handful of main ingredients are of average quality, or missing, it doesn’t matter how good a cook you are. But conversely if they’re all of the finest quality you can often get away with small errors and still get a superb result, even if not quite what Marcus Wareing etc could do.

J
And its even harder when it's your own music. That's why I have trusted friends that mix for local artists and are also briefed on the state of the art.

I find it helps to mentally think, "Recalibrate", mainly because when you hear something over and over you get used to it and now you can't hear the details... you're absolutely right, if I was a doper producer my mixes would be way easier LOL
Hjlphilp
Poster

Postby joeyondakeys » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 am

Oh ya. Sometimes I just cannot achieve my initial intention for a song, despite knowing exactly what I want to accomplish. I've had panic attacks editing a 10 second segment of a track over and over and over (using trial and error, critical thinking, etc).

The concept of settling really bothers me and is completely at odds with my personality. But in order to actually get things done in a reasonable amount of time - and not become overwhelmed with frustration - I've had to learn the art of compromise.

You're not alone, trust me
joeyondakeys
Poster

Postby Zukan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:44 am

Let us have a listen to this twitchy mix.
Zukan

Postby Hjlphilp » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:55 pm

https://youtu.be/q5Mom5wWzmI

Not even close to what it could be... how sad
Hjlphilp
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:54 am

You may not be happy with the mix but that's still a great song. :clap:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi Leland!

I agree with Drew - this is an inspiring track, and a good video, but I can hear how the beats don't somehow 'gel' with the rest of the arrangement, which nevertheless does have some fascinating elements. Some buss compression might help to glue it together more, possibly with some side-chaining.

However, I suspect Zukan (who posted above) could well be able to offer the perfect advice, as he's a real expert on both low end and vocals.

Are you still around Eddie?

In the meantime, Eddie has loads of tutorials available - here are some free ones that you may find useful: www.samplecraze.com/free-tutorials/

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Zukan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:39 pm

I iz here Myth, I iz here.

The track is well cool. Just needs a better mix as it sounds very muffled with poor separation, low end and width.
Zukan

Postby Hjlphilp » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Issue with mixing 2-tracks and a vocal is that it's hard to get that separation you're looking for... if you heard what I had to start with yall would be like "good job zeesh"
Hjlphilp
Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:16 am

Not a genre I'm really into - but sounds good.

With the above in mind !!
To me first problem to be sorted is the Kick - to me it's flappin about like a loony?
I'd like to here it sounding - smaller, more precise and dry as a the sahara

...Then I'd make the bassline louder

Probably, should keep my mouth closed so I can't get my foot in it!

Best of luck!
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:18 am

Hey my man, digging your stuff on SoundCl0ud bruv, if’n you’re up for a collaboration let me know.

Click the Youtube link below & give ‘Tell Me How You Feel’ a lissen, ‘tis a new genre ‘60’s Indie House,’ I’m doing another real soon titled, ‘Two Can Play That Game’ it’s crying-out for a rap man, if you’re up for anything and don’t mind spitting over some white-boy rock track, it could be giggle, I’m aiming for airplay, Radio friendly choons bruv…

Postby Hjlphilp » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:08 pm

Keep in mind fellas... this was before I LEARNED my apollo twin XD

and where's the link bro?
Hjlphilp
Poster

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:26 am

Hey sir, zis is da track I’m on about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL21rhJUHHU

The guitars were re-amped through a vintage neve desk and amps, hence the weighty bass sound, I’m committed to doing some more guitar-based stuff like this.

This is a new departure for me as I’ve mainly been doin’ House for the past 30 odd years, club music…here I’m aiming for national chart exposure, all you need is the right track, a hit, it’ll sell itself with a little paid push from a pro promo company… I’m on da case. Like in your ‘Where’s Jack’ track, dat riddum at 1:40, dat’s Hooksville maaan…

When we got the right track I’ll also be running off some bangin’ club mixes to promote it before official release date…

I’d also be into knocking up some wicked rap, house, D&B etc beats wiv strong melodic hooks for you to spit over, I’ll also give you the option of co-producing these ones too if need be, even if it’s only pointing me in the direction that you wanna go… these would/could be done under just your moniker, me just the co-writer/producer, no ego here man.

I’m not hung-up on one genre, good music is good music regardless, I’ll beg, steal or borrow from any genre past or present, it’s the finished product that counts, provided no children or defenceless animals were hurt during the process of course.

I’d like you to give these three rap remixes I wrote & produced a while back a li’l whirl too.

Snoop, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1V5oMxwCZc

Saigon, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbDmjbE2l3s

Chuck D, Sizzla, Method Man, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NmYzxp_P-o

I also film and/or edit the videos meself.

If you dig my stuff man, us working together is just another side road for us to travel, only it’s together, it don’t stop you doing your own thing, nor me mine, my hooks are as good as anybody’s, same goes for your rapping maan, a force to be reckoned wiv I’d wager.

Hit me up on Soundcloud if’n you’re up for it bruv, and we’ll get cracking, er, cracking da charts that is.

Already have something nearly finished but it’s lacking, needs some more vox, at the mo’ it only has some lovely voiced Maasai children singing the verse… I use a lot of African/Asian vox and instruments in all my work…

Fingers crossed, looking forward to making some more than half-decent music wiv you sir.

Philpot, Philpot? Wot kinda moniker is dat???

Postby Zukan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:45 am

Nice remixes there Lash..
Zukan

Postby Hjlphilp » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:11 pm

THIS BOI SAID MONIKER XD

Zukan got some great resources... as of late my vocals been way beefier, parallel compppreeesssion. And lots of it!

I do my "referencing" in my head doe... call it a pride thing but I need to feel that pocket not copycat! I'm glad yall liked the song, I got what kinda name is that 2 on the way
Hjlphilp
Poster

Next