You are here

M-audio - One good, one bad

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

M-audio - One good, one bad

Postby Folderol » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:19 pm

Recently I bought an M-audio M-track 8 and an M-audio Midisport 4 x 4

First the good.
The M-track 8 was plug and play. Round trip latency at 48k 64 frames/period 2 periods/buffer is 8.02mS measured with jack-iodelay.
Inputs and outputs are clean and quiet.

Just to clarify a point. In the linux world you can have a variable number of periods per buffer but must have at least 2 (whereas I believe for other OSes its fixed at 2). This is mostly a legacy from USB 1. Internally, 3 periods of 32 frames at 48k gives 2mS, but 2 periods at 64 gives 2.67, yet the former is less likely to give Xruns as it sits exactly in the USB 1 frame size.

Now the bad.
The Midisport 4x4 has a serious design problem.

If you start up your hardware synths before the unit is not only up and running, but also is connected to software, it either has ridiculous latency or fails to operate at all. This is quite unsuitable for a fixed recording studio situation, so I will be returning it.

The original Midisport 2x2 doesn't have this problem and has worked for years in this exact configuration so I'll be going back to that. I had been hoping to be able to do away with daisy-chaining synths (with the attendant risk of congestion).
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Re: M-audio - One good, one bad

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:18 am

All a bit beyond me Will but I wonder? Would a 2496 card be of any use to you? I have one to spare.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:12 am

Ummm. I've already got one of those Dave :)
However, in the not too distant future I will be moving to a machine that doesn't have PCI slots. The current one is getting rather cranky, and (like me) sometimes doesn't want to get started these days.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:18 am

Folderol wrote:Ummm. I've already got one of those Dave :)
However, in the not too distant future I will be moving to a machine that doesn't have PCI slots. The current one is getting rather cranky, and (like me) sometimes doesn't want to get started these days.

Bummer! I shall never quite forgive M-Audio for not making a PCIe verison of the 2496 or better the AP192!

FYI I have been helping a guy over at HR forum who is having bother with a 2496 and W10 (YES! Would you believe that!) and he is almost certainly going to jump for the ESI MAYA 44.

I have asked him to please report back if and when he gets the card. I guess the ESI will run under Linux?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster