You are here

Is there a mixing service that does this...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Is there a mixing service that does this...

Postby Kinh » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:23 am

Is there a service that shows you how as opposed to just mixing? Say if there was this chorus i heared from a song and im trying to replicate that 'sound' can i pay someone just for them to figure out how and do a protools session file. So id be similar to those who do sound design for specialized sounds , but mixing instead.
Kinh
Regular

Re: Is there a mixing service that does this...

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 am

I always offer to mix with the artist present, and they can follow me and ask questions as I work. And they can have the project files afterwards.

But I refuse to use Pro Tools! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BJG145 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:27 am

Do you mean online...? Any engineer would be able to reproduce and explain mix techniques in an attended session; getting them to document it via email would be a bit more unusual, but you could ask...analysing mixes is what these people do all the time.

*edit*

Elf beat me to it...
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kinh » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:52 am

Yeah, I mean online. They dont necessarily need to document anything, just the session/project itself would be enough.
Kinh
Regular

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:38 am

Sounds like SOS's Mix Rescue column to me! By all means drop me a PM and send over a multitrack...
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:37 pm

I nearly always give the artist everything including the session files so that, if they really wanted to, they could recreate the mix and tweak it. Of course they would need to use the same plug-ins as I use (but I rarely use anything exotic) and any changes should be done in a decent monitoring environment so that the real effect of those changes can be heard.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby LakeWave Music Lab » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:07 am

Hi Kinh,

I think asking could be a good idea, but sharing a session file sounds like a not-so-easy approach... The other user should have licenses for all the plugins used in the mixing session... and we're supposing all the magic is happening fully in-the-box: if some processing goes outside the DAW, then replication becomes even harder.

On the other hand, I think that documenting a session is ALWAYS a good habit for an engineer (even if not requested by the customer, since that kind of records build up a valuable knowledge base for the studio), and sharing (part of) that documentation could be an interesting additional service offered to the customer, whenever they are interested in understanding how the result was attained.

Warning: learning from others' work is important and effective, but forget to find "easy solutions" or "magic spells" in the work done by your fellow engineer: something wonderfully working in one specific case could not necessarily be the correct approach in other cases...

Rock on!

Giovanni @LakeWave Music Lab
LakeWave Music Lab
Poster