You are here

Mix Feedback - Rock

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Mix Feedback - Rock

Postby Henry-S » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:32 am

Hey everyone long time no see!

I've been involved in a new band and have been doing a lot of the recording/mixing. I was wondering if I could get any feedback from the recording I've done.

Now honestly I'll probably end up sending a few away to get mixed 'properly' but until that point I just want something that someone will listen to and enjoy.

The style I guess is Rock/Alternative and one thing which is bugging me a little is I think I need to tone down the sibilance on the vocal. I have got to the point listening so much that I can't tell if the S's are normal... or if they stick out too much :headbang:

Anyway I know SOS will give honest critique so if something is proper awful your end please let me know!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnt5v929kgtg3t7/cic-emptywords-110218.mp3?dl=0
Henry-S
Regular
There is nothing Grim about this Reaper

Re: Mix Feedback - Rock

Postby blinddrew » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Good work! Not my genre and already well past my best so no general comments from me.
Specifically with regard to the sibilants, the lead vocal sounds fine to me - they sound natural as part of the upfront vocal, could maybe ducked a bit? But i'm probably only noticing it because you mentioned it.
I would be tempted to do something about them on the backing vocals though.
As usual though, I will refer you to the comment in my signature... ;)
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dave B » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Vocals seem ok on these domestic speakers.

I'd just comment on two things :

1. The opening acoustic guitar sounds 'flat'. Quite dull sounding but that might be the guitar used. Seems a shame

2. The mix is bass light. Especially for music like this, it needs a good pounding bassline running through it. That seems to be too low to be heard properly.

HTH
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Henry-S » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:22 pm

Hey thanks guys,

I'll have a little shifty through the backing vocals and see if i can lessen it, but the main thing is that the main vocals doesn't sound over sibilant really. It can be hard to tell after listening to a lot of music and then your song on repeat!

I'll also have a look at the bass part, it might just need to come up a couple of db, i'm just very aware that bass heavy mixes really sound horrible so i've probably aired on the side of caution instead of cranking it up a little bit!

Also the acoustic guitar i've thought about maybe tracking it again and instead of using the onboard, use my condenser to get a nicer sound. I wanted the vocal to be the main focus really.. so I kinda liked the darker sound of the guitar. But if anyone else thinks this might be worth redoing it!
Henry-S
Regular
There is nothing Grim about this Reaper

Postby petev3.1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 pm

i like the opening guitar but it is quite plain. I'd just tweak it slightly. The rest is great. I'd agree that the bass is light but would also agree with your comment about it. It may be just me, but the track takes me back to Leatherface and HDQ.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster