You are here

Focal Shape 65 vs Shape Twin

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Focal Shape 65 vs Shape Twin

Postby craigtumps » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:36 am

Ok Focal you really thrown the spanner in the works here :lol:

I was all set to buy a pair of Shape 65's. Auditioned them in the shop, they fit my budget and they sound great compared to other options.

But now I see they launched Shape Twin! Both monitors have the same frequency response, very similar price and size.
The twins are not 3-way but "2.5". one of the woofers covers the same full range as the Shape 65. Then there is the 3rd cone that doubles up the low end range. The Shape Twin's have 5" cones and the 65 is 6". Both monitors cover the same bass range to 40Hz.

So what's the story here? Has anyone heard them or can anyone knowledgeable tell me what's the aim with these two very similar speakers? I'm wondering is there some difference in usage for these monitors I should know about?

:?: :)
craigtumps
Poster

Re: Focal Shape 65 vs Shape Twin

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:00 pm

The extra bass driver (and amp) means the Twin has a little more LF headroom and can go a little louder as a result...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby craigtumps » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Thanks, I just did a little reading on amplifier headroom and I understand now. I will have to wait for these to get in the shops and audition.
craigtumps
Poster

Postby blayz2002 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Hi craigtumps,

Did you ever manage to compare the two, or listen to the Twin? The 65's (which are 6.5") are also on my shortlist.

Thanks
blayz2002
New here
2012 27" i7 iMac, 32GB Ram, Fusion Drive, + ext HDD'/SSD, Apollo Twin 2, Logic Pro X, Maschine, Console 1, Behringer X-Touch, Komplete Kontrol, Focal Shape 65, Blue Sky Media Desk, Sen's HD 600 + Room Treatment

Postby The Korff » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:28 am

We are waiting on a set of Shape Twins to review, so they'll get the SOS treatment in due course.

Cheers,

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blayz2002 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:45 pm

The Korff wrote:We are waiting on a set of Shape Twins to review, so they'll get the SOS treatment in due course.

Cheers,

Chris

Oh great, thanks Chris!

Looking forward to that. Do you think SOS will be able do a back to back compare with the 65's, so it's really clear what the key difference is? Especially as they both cover the exact same frequency range.

Regards
blayz2002
New here
2012 27" i7 iMac, 32GB Ram, Fusion Drive, + ext HDD'/SSD, Apollo Twin 2, Logic Pro X, Maschine, Console 1, Behringer X-Touch, Komplete Kontrol, Focal Shape 65, Blue Sky Media Desk, Sen's HD 600 + Room Treatment

Postby fortyguns » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:03 am

Apparently the shape 65 has more infra and low end and the twins have more spl on the whole spectrum

I've listened to both and can say both are good
the imaging is tighter, mids better defined on the twins
mids and low mids are more controlled with better depth and definition but the 65s went a bit lower, or the lows were more apparent
I'm still breaking in the twins so I imagine they will just get batter
fortyguns

Postby blayz2002 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:07 pm

Thanks Fortyguns.

That's interesting about the low end seeming to play lower on the 65's, one would have assumed the Twins would play lower.

So it sounds like you bought the Twins? Also what do you mean by "infra"?
blayz2002
New here

Postby craigtumps » Mon May 14, 2018 5:10 pm

I didnt see the reply sorry for late response.
I bought the Twins in the end. I just went ahead and bought them without listening. I did demo the the Shape 65s and the rest of the shape range and that was enough for me especially considering how close all the other Shape's sounded to each other.

Great speakers, helped improve my mixing hugely. Im having to do a lot less listening on other sources with these, everything transferring really well, so very glad I bought them. Coming from Rokit RP6 these are a real breath of fresh air.

They come with a sticker on them saying 20 hours burn time essential. I would say it took longer than that for the bass to open up fully. Also took me a while to get used to the super focused mid range, Im not used to this kind of sound lol.

I cant really compare the two properly because I listened to the other Shapes in the shop and the Twins at home. So its really difficult. But Im glad I bought these for sure.
craigtumps
Poster

Postby blayz2002 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:41 am

Thanks craigtumps,

I actually bought the Shape 65’s a couple of weeks ago. Couldn’t stretch to the Twin. I’m very much enjoying them. They are very detailed in the midrange and really let you know when your mix isn’t right. A lot more clarity than my HS8’s for sure.

Glad you’re enjoying your Twins. I can imagine (based on what I’m hearing with 65’s) they probably sound great.
blayz2002
New here

Postby craigtumps » Thu May 17, 2018 3:18 pm

Nice one, glad they are working out. Yeah the feedback on them is great. It's like they get angry with you if you are messing it up. :lol:

Also, I know it's the least important thing, but they look really handsome. :D
craigtumps
Poster

Postby blayz2002 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:31 am

craigtumps wrote:Nice one, glad they are working out. Yeah the feedback on them is great. It's like they get angry with you if you are messing it up. :lol:

Also, I know it's the least important thing, but they look really handsome. :D

Yeah, that's a good description of them getting angry with you when your mix isn't right. Especially anything harsh or a frequency poking out on the bass. At first, I thought something was wrong with them, now I know I can trust them. I'm using Sonarworks with them to correct my room, and so far so good, still trying to finish my first full mix on them to be sure.
blayz2002
New here