You are here

New Indie label seeks mastering partner

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

New Indie label seeks mastering partner

Postby forumuser901190 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi all - we're launching a small label (soon to be a big label!) in the cultural hub of Folkestone on the south coast. We're looking for a mastering company to strike up a long haul relationship with. Our first band is a superb folk-rock outfit with melodeon, whistle, drums and electric bass and guitar, and that's our first mastering project. Any suggestions for good mastering houses we could contact? Thanks! Andy
forumuser901190

Re: New Indie label seeks mastering partner

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi Andy, and welcome to the SOS Forums ! 8-)

Good luck with your label, although I can't help thinking that if you're already asking basic questions like 'who can I get to do my mastering' that perhaps you should have joined some time ago to get up to speed before launching ;)

I'd start by looking through my music collection to find good examples of the type of music I want to produce on the label, to build up a set of guidelines that you can mention to the mastering house I end up using.

However, as a label, and assuming you already have access to recording facilities, I'd personally want to find a mastering house that is already familiar with the type of genre you're most likely to be publishing, and is also within travelling range, so I could sit in to hear what the mastering engineer is doing. Otherwise you're buying blind.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dave B » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:41 pm

Out of interest, mastering for what? CD? Vinyl? Streaming services? All of the above?

There's any number of people to recommend. Are you looking for something specific?

More to the point, and, without wishing to be rude, are you happy with paying for the service? Mastering has been hit very hard recently with people believing that prices are 'too high' for a service which can make or break the sound of an album. If you want a pro job doing, then there are pros out there who can do a great job - but it comes at a price.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Assuming you're happy with his prices then I can recommend Eric James of Philosopher's Barn Mastering.

http://www.phibarnmastering.co.uk/
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 pm

In answer to some of the previous replies: most of the labels that I master for know little about the technology - as that's my job. I have to take whatever I'm given and turn it into something that can be manufactured or uploaded with all the correct codes and data if required. Sometimes I'll be given digital files while at other times I'll have to work with analogue formats which can be anything from pristine 30ips half inch masters to dodgy cassettes recorded in a rehearsal. I could also be asked to do something special like create CD's that include video as well.

It is the label's job to find the artists and find the best way to sell the music to the audience. Most of the label owners that I know are big music fans rather than musicians - they know their market because they're part of that market.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby JET-Zet studio » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Hey!
If still interested please check my studio: https://ekmixmaster.com/
There are free mastering preview for new clients, package deals, technical support.
Best
JET-Zet studio
New here
https://ekmixmaster.com - Pro Mixing & Mastering Services