You are here

Discography by mixing engineer

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Discography by mixing engineer

Postby kemccarthy1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:03 pm

As being fairly new to MIXING AUDIO as a craft I've gone through lots of videos and reading material, all for the good. Of course like most at my level the more I learn the more I see there is to learn but I'm also quite confident based on objective reports from others that I am undoubtedly improving my skills over time.
One of the routines I've developed is listening to and diagramming mixes from renowned engineers, trying to learn from their techniques, tendencies, and identifiable 'sound'.

My question: is there any compendium online that lists discography by mixing engineer? IOW, an index of published music that is categorized by and identifies who is the primary mixing engineer on given songs/albums/drops? I've done some searching and the best approach I've been able to come up with is to google specific engineers by name one by one to see their individual resumes. Not that this isn't helpful by any means, but it would be terrific for those of us who consider themselves to be students of the craft to be able to search by engineer to better identify their styles and approaches.
TIA.
kemccarthy1
Recording engineer, bassist, performing musician in the SF Bay Area

Re: Discography by mixing engineer

Postby James Perrett » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:43 pm

I find the Discogs website to be pretty good provided credits are listed on the artwork. It isn't complete but it is more complete than just about anything else I've seen.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:01 pm

James Perrett wrote:I find the Discogs website to be pretty good provided credits are listed on the artwork. It isn't complete but it is more complete than just about anything else I've seen.

Agreed - as it happen I've just visited Discogs to get exactly this sort of information.

Oh, and welcome to the SOS Forums kemccarthy1! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Zukan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:38 am

I wish we had something like that for sound designers.

The amount of hits that featured sounds from a handful of us sound designers has generally gone unrecognised and yet it was this that attracted me to the music industry.
Zukan

Postby Matt Houghton » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:45 am

Zukan wrote:I wish we had something like that for sound designers.

The amount of hits that featured sounds from a handful of us sound designers has generally gone unrecognised and yet it was this that attracted me to the music industry.

Set one up!
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby James Perrett » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:50 pm

Saw this article today and thought of this thread...

http://www.completemusicupdate.com/arti ... a-website/
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby petev3.1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:20 pm

Discogs seems the obvious place. It's only problem is the difficulty of correcting errors and commissions in ones catalogue, which makes it very helpful but not entirely reliable.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby petev3.1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:21 pm

Discogs seems the obvious place. It's only problem is the difficulty of correcting errors and ommissions in ones catalogue, which makes it very helpful but not entirely reliable.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster