You are here

SSL Nucleus 2

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

SSL Nucleus 2

Postby Zukan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:01 pm

Deities, we gonna get one in for review?

My birthday's in May.
Zukan

Re: SSL Nucleus 2

Postby Dave B » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:11 pm

See, now I know you're deliberately trying to bankrupt me. You do remember having to wipe up the dribble when the original Nucleus was launched, and now you to start it all again?

You're a cruel man, Zukan. Cruel....

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Zukan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:43 am

Dave B wrote:See, now I know you're deliberately trying to bankrupt me. You do remember having to wipe up the dribble when the original Nucleus was launched, and now you to start it all again?

What can I do? Those bastards keep making damn good gear.....

You tried one Dave?
Zukan

Postby OneWorld » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Dave B wrote:See, now I know you're deliberately trying to bankrupt me. You do remember having to wipe up the dribble when the original Nucleus was launched, and now you to start it all again?

Does anyone want to buy my soul? Cost £3849.00 inc V.A.T
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:29 pm

But is it a pure soul OneWorld?

They are worth so much more, but so rare ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Matt Houghton » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:31 pm

As long as it's not an Are Soul... :beamup:
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Zukan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:08 am

Matt Houghton wrote:As long as it's not an Are Soul... :beamup:

lol..
Zukan

Postby Glenn Bucci » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:22 am

I tried the Nucleus 1 and 2. I much prefer version 2 with the additional features including switching between monitors. Its a great DAW controller with two SSL mic pre's. Granted I wish the mic pre's had the VHD drive on it, but its still a great controller. I purchased the Mackie Controller Pro after Steinberg gave up on its' Houston controller. I then added an Mackie Expander and then a 2nd Expander for a total of 24 faders. The Mackie is still the cheapest/best quality controller out there in my book. But for additional features like talkback, monitor controls and mic pre's, the SSL Nucleus2 is hard to beat. By the way, I never liked the white color one in photos, but in person, it looks much better.
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster
revelationsoundstudio.com

Postby Zukan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:32 am

Thanks G.
Zukan

Postby Ramirez » Thu May 17, 2018 3:23 pm

This does look exceptionally good.

I'm not up to scratch with Dante etc, but with a Nucleus 2, it can be a stand alone interface that could be expanded with more I/O, right? And with the original Nucleus, it was limited to 4 I/O as an USB interface?

Aled
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Forum Admin » Thu May 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Glenn Bucci wrote:The Mackie is still the cheapest/best quality controller out there in my book.

Beg to differ Glenn. As a former owner of a Logic Control, my PreSonus Faderport 8 is a better designed, quality unit and Sweetwater have it for only $499.95 compared to MCU Pro's current $1099.95.

The Faderport 16 is even better - and great value at $999.95 (16 faders compared to MCU Pro's eight) -- admittedly, there's no easy way to expand up to 24 faders, though you can have multiple Faderports active at once in Studio One Pro DAW.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,016 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
Gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu May 17, 2018 4:12 pm

The Presonus looks decent for the most part but I don't like the lack of rotary controllers -- IIRC there's only one pan pot for all 8/16 channels, whereas the Mackie and others have a dedicated one per channel. Good price though. The Icon Qcon Pro X looks decent though I've not tried it yet. And there's Behringer of course...

But the control surface I really want still hasn't been invented yet!
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu May 17, 2018 4:30 pm

How many people need to pan every channel in real time? Surely panning is one of those set and forget things -- easily done with virtual or assignable controls.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Forum Admin » Thu May 17, 2018 4:39 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:How many people need to pan every channel in real time? Surely panning is one of those set and forget things -- easily done with virtual or assignable controls.

Exactly!

When the Faderport 8/16 is controlling native or third-party plug-ins, I much prefer using the faders to adjust parameters in real-time than a knob (I used to use my Novation SL's knobs button prefer the Faderport) -- and of course, you can't easily adjust more than one on-screen plug-in parameter with your mouse.

I like the flexibility to work with any combination of mouse in the DAW and faders.
Forum Admin

Postby Forum Admin » Thu May 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:I don't like the lack of rotary controllers -- IIRC there's only one pan pot for all 8/16 channels...

In practice it never feels like any sort of limitation to me. As soon as you highlight a channel in your DAW's mixer or touch one of the Faderport's faders, that channel comes into focus and you just twiddle the single Pan encoder if you desire... or the DAW pan slider/knob, whatever is easiest at the time.
Forum Admin

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu May 17, 2018 7:18 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:How many people need to pan every channel in real time? Surely panning is one of those set and forget things -- easily done with virtual or assignable controls.

Well, really we rarely need to do *anything* like this in real time any more, unless working live, faders included. That said, yes, I can think of stuff I've worked on where I used panning automation a lot.

But that's not really what I had in mind...  I tend not to use the default modes with most control surfaces (in my experience, they rarely make the most of its potential!), but to configure them to do the things I find most useful when mixing, using my DAW's Generic Remote editor. Things like send levels, pans, pre-inserts gain, HPF, compressor thresholds... Assuming the faders are touch sensitive, all these things can become available on any channel once you touch that channel's fader. All on one control surface.

So to me it's a simple equation: more encoders > fewer encoders. In other words, a control-surface system with eight (or 16 or 24...) continuous rotary encoders in addition to the same number of faders means far more things can be instantly controllable than when using a system with only one! :thumbup:
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu May 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Good point well made! :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound