You are here

master buss hpf rolloff

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: master buss hpf rolloff

Postby CS70 » Thu May 31, 2018 4:16 pm

The Sponge wrote:I noticed in the March issue of this fine publication, Both the Greg Wells and the Mixing & Mastering modern metal article by Mark Mynett talk about hpf at 39/40hz.
My lack of experience has led me to just setting it at 20hz, But I was wondering if there is a rule of thumb on this or is it depended on the program material, Edm at a lower setting than country etc and at what slope ? or do you have a set and forget setting.
thanks all.

On my side, I simply know that my monitors don't really give me much info below around 40Hz so I'd rather lower it down (as the Elf says, on individual channels rather than the master bus). But then I don't usually mix EDM.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Re: master buss hpf rolloff

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:44 pm

I don't see that there's any mystique about this, and I don't subscribe to finding a golden rule - just use common sense. If you need that extreme low end to support the mix then keep it, if you don't then clean it up - it's really no harder than that!

The only reason that metal might generally require higher cut-off values is that its speed and reliance on aggressive mid-range excitement will have an easier time of dominating the mix if the low end is generally less dominant, as it might be in a dance mix.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Previous