You are here

Can Large Screens prevent Eye-strain?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Can Large Screens prevent Eye-strain?

Postby Elephone » Mon May 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi. Just went from a 19" square screen to a 27" wide screen and realised I've only gained a few inches each side. Doh! My budget wouldn't allow a larger screen anyway.

The idea was to get a larger screen so I can step further back. Differences in anatomy probably means some have more problem than others in this regard. My eye test shows I don't need glasses, but I'm far more comfortable looking further than closer. I've never got eye-strain watching TV, although when I switched to a LED flat-screen TV, I did notice my eyes got a little more tired... perhaps the blue light.

So, obviously the switch to a 27" might not make that any difference. There is a 'blue light OFF' feature which might help, especially since I wear anti blue light specs.

It seems everything is calibrated for sitting down near to the screen. Certain software is worse than others (Kontakt, Harrison Mixbus, etc).

So, has anyone here invested in a super large screen, who stands further back and has found it cures the problem?

I know the 20-20-20 thing helps, but if I could eradicate eye-strain altogether, I'd probably double my output.

Cheers
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Can Large Screens prevent Eye-strain?

Postby Forum Admin » Mon May 21, 2018 5:10 pm

If your computer has an HDMI connection, then you might wish to try using a *big* UltraHD TV screen further away from you. Curry's are always running sales on these, and Amazon... I plugged my trashcan Mac Pro into one recently, to test it, and am sorely tempted to swap from my dual setup Apple 27" HD screen and Philips 27" UltraHD monitor (which I have to run in lo-res mode to match the Apple screen, as my eyes can't cope with two different resolutions side-by-side).

I've tried the large screen thing before on my living room big TV but it's dated and HD-only, and there are halo-like artefacts on small fonts when connected HD via HDMI. However, the 55" UltraHD TV I recently tried was stunningly good, crisp and well-defined when used with my Mac. It was an LG model.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,026 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby OneWorld » Mon May 21, 2018 7:46 pm

+1 for that.

I found all the detail of a DAW + VSTs etc too cluttered for a smaller screen and ended up buying an LG 40" 4K monitor and it's beautiful!

Before I got the LG I was using a 40" 4K telly and yes the image was surprisingly crisp and the value added was I could watch the shennanigins of the Jeremy Kyle show!

I do prefer the LG monitor over the TV though because of all the different inputs and USB hub etc
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby 3rdConstruction » Tue May 22, 2018 2:14 am

As you had suggested, it is distance from the screen that will reduce eye strain. Your eyes have to work to focus in on closer objects and looking further away allows your eye muscles to relax. Closing your eyes relaxes them as well.

My understanding is that you'll get the most benefit if you can manage to keep your monitor no closer than about 1 meter away.

When working arrangements don't allow a big enough monitor to be kept at a distance, then allowing your eyes to rest a bit every 20-30 minutes by either looking into the distance, out a window, or closing your eyes briefly can help reduce strain.
3rdConstruction
Poster
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.

Postby ef37a » Tue May 22, 2018 6:21 am

As one whose left eye is buggered due to ARMD can I add some comments regarding eye health?

DO check each eye singly from time to time. They should match! Things to check are, no dimming of dead central vision and that straight edges, side/ top of screen say, are not kinked.
Get an eye test every year EVEN if you don't yet need speccs.

Wear good quality sunglasses unless skys are really dull and they say, eat a good diet, plenty of 'coloured' veg, toms, carrots, peppers.

The injections for ARMD are not at all painful but they ARE bloody terrifying!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed May 23, 2018 7:37 am

You may not need glasses for normal day to day use but by the sound of things you could really do with a pair for use with VDUs. You don't say your age but as you get older your ability to accommodate, that is, to focus on nearer things, decreases. Your vision may be 20-20 otherwise.

I need glasses for normal use but I get eyestrain if I look at a screen for more than a minute or so. So I had the optician make a pair for me to use specifically with screens, something they do all the time. Result, no eyestrain and I can use computers for hours on end if I need to. These glasses are useless for anything else (things at any distance are blurry) but they work for screens, which is what I need.

So, hie yourself off to the optician and describe your specific problem. They'll sort you out. Much better and probably cheaper than buying whopping great screens.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Zukan » Wed May 23, 2018 10:57 am

Ele, I went for a bog standard Hisense 42" from Tesco's. One HDMI cable and my life has changed. Seriously dude, think about this option instead of multiple tiny screens.
Zukan

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed May 23, 2018 11:06 am

LG Ultrawide here with bifocals. The optometrist made one of the bi's focus at arms length so the screen would be crisp and it is. The screen sits below window level where I am distracted by birds at the feeders outside. This keeps my eyes moving back and forth which I am told is good for eye health as mentioned above.
I've heard some people keep a tv on in the corner with the sound off. This pulls the eyes away from the main screen.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby job » Wed May 23, 2018 4:09 pm

Win 10 has blue light reduction built in if it helps. They called it night light. It has configurable settings.
job
Regular

Postby Elephone » Thu May 24, 2018 2:36 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I'm keeping about 1m away from my screen and I've noticed the sharp pains have gone, but my eyes still get tired from having to strain to see smaller text and buttons.

I think the sharp pains were due to muscle fatigue from having to converge. (I'd love a massive screen but my budget won't allow for it.) Then there's staring at a flat, fixed point for hours, and then the retina having to cope with sprightly light. (For Reaper 5 users, there are some excellent darker themes that are easy on the eyes!)

I'll see if the optometrist can help, but I'm not sure what's different about glasses made specifically for displays. Do they work like reading glasses... but for further away objects?

Cheers
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu May 24, 2018 4:16 pm

On the Mac I use the Accessibility preferences to configure a screen zoom using a modifier key and scroll up/down on the magic mouse. It takes the strain away when you need a little help for a densely-packed plugin with small dark grey on black style writing, etc.

Is there something similar on Windows you could use?
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,026 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby James Perrett » Thu May 24, 2018 7:01 pm

If you have to use computer screens at work then your employer should be paying for VDU eye tests every couple of years and should also provide suitable glasses if needed. Some employers insist on you using their specified optician while others will allow you to use any optician (but make sure the optician specifies that they've done a VDU eye test on the receipt). My old employer would contribute something like £90 for a pair of glasses.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 24, 2018 8:03 pm

Elephone wrote:I'll see if the optometrist can help, but I'm not sure what's different about glasses made specifically for displays. Do they work like reading glasses... but for further away objects?

You've got it. The optician will check with you the exact distance from you of your display - so make sure you know that in advance - and will devise a prescription tailored to that range. After that the size of the screen is irrelevant - the screen will be sharp anyway. The true usefulness of a 27" screen will then appear, which is just how much stuff you can show at once on one. Once you've got one you won't go back, in fact you might even get two. Acres of display space is kind of addictive.

James Perrett wrote:If you have to use computer screens at work then your employer should be paying for VDU eye tests every couple of years and should also provide suitable glasses if needed.

James is dead right on this, employers are required to do so, so take advantage of it.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby craigtumps » Tue May 29, 2018 12:55 pm

Bear in mind that the resolution of the screen is as important as the size of the screen. Even on a relatively large screen if its 4K resolution then the text could be really small and still cause you problems depending on how bad your eyes are.
Need to get the balance right of resolution and screen size that you feel comfortable with. Personally I like 2K screens, most software scales without any issues up that size.
craigtumps
Poster

Postby Agharta » Tue May 29, 2018 2:28 pm

craigtumps wrote:Bear in mind that the resolution of the screen is as important as the size of the screen. Even on a relatively large screen if its 4K resolution then the text could be really small and still cause you problems depending on how bad your eyes are.
Need to get the balance right of resolution and screen size that you feel comfortable with. Personally I like 2K screens, most software scales without any issues up that size.
I have a 32" 2560x1440 which has a fairly similar PPI to my 24" 1920x1200.
For 4K even 43" has a 10% higher PPI plus the corners are further away so maybe for equivalency one needs a 45" or so which would mean 49" or 50" in practice!
Even 43" is too large for me though unless I get a bigger room. :)
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby craigtumps » Wed May 30, 2018 11:20 am

Yeah a nice size 2560x1440 is a good way to go. :thumbup:
craigtumps
Poster