You are here

RX6 help please...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

RX6 help please...

Postby Mick C » Tue May 22, 2018 9:17 am

Hi All,
I'm new to RX6 Standard and after watching many iZotope and Groove 3 tutorials I'm not seeing the answer to this:

Context:
A multitrack live gig and I've already done a load of performance type edits, so the audio files are all sliced up and cross faded etc. I now want to tackle feedback across all mics in a number of the songs - this is when I took the plunge in buying RX6 having seen what it can do. Spectral Repair seems to be the right tool but as it's not available as a module to be used as a plugin like many of the other modules are, it seems I have to use RX6 in stand alone mode. For reference, my DAW is Studio One Pro

Question:
If in Studio One I create regions around the problem areas of all the tracks I can then bounce those regions and drag and drop the new bounced files into RX6. I can then make the necessary changes, but on saving I (think?) I have two options:

(Option A): save with the same file names so it overwrites the originals. The benefit is Studio One reads from those corrected files without any additional steps required, but this feels a bit risky, given my inexperience with RX6. I know I could make duplicates of the files for safe keeping before doing any RX6 changes, but that's another layer of admin and a lot of new files to be managed over many songs and tracks.

(Option B): save with new file names so the originals aren't affected (as I've seen in the tutorials). But then I have to drag all those new files into the session timeline of Studio One and position them perfectly. Apart from laborious, this feels like high cock-up potential

So am I going about this the right way or am I missing something? From what I've seen and read so far I get the impression that the workflow is to use RX6 before doing other edits, but I'm way too far down the line for that with this project!

Thanks!
Mick C
Regular
Mick

Re: RX6 help please...

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Mick C wrote:(Option B): save with new file names so the originals aren't affected (as I've seen in the tutorials). But then I have to drag all those new files into the session timeline of Studio One and position them perfectly. Apart from laborious, this feels like high cock-up potential
Can't answer the other bits but I assume that Studio One allows you to insert markers on the track? Set these up for the start of each edit point and use these to define your cut/copy points, then they become your paste points when you re-import stuff. They should be perfectly aligned.
Does that make sense? Or have I misunderstood the question?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 22, 2018 7:36 pm

In Reaper I hit F2 to bring up the region properties and then click on the Choose new file... button to choose my treated file. Does Studio One have something similar?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby job » Wed May 23, 2018 6:13 am

You could also use the Connect plugin... send each clip seperately to RX and save each sent clip as an .rxdoc. This way you can send the edited clips back to their original position as well as have the undo history of the original in case you need to go back.
job
Regular

Postby andy cross » Wed May 23, 2018 10:27 am

Is there an option (C) - save the files with the same name but in a different directory? Copy the original files to another directory too, then you can choose to put whichever files the DAW is looking for in the appropriate place, while keeping the alternative versions safe.
andy cross
Regular

Postby Mick C » Wed May 23, 2018 7:53 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Mick C wrote:(Option B): save with new file names so the originals aren't affected (as I've seen in the tutorials). But then I have to drag all those new files into the session timeline of Studio One and position them perfectly. Apart from laborious, this feels like high cock-up potential
Can't answer the other bits but I assume that Studio One allows you to insert markers on the track? Set these up for the start of each edit point and use these to define your cut/copy points, then they become your paste points when you re-import stuff. They should be perfectly aligned.
Does that make sense? Or have I misunderstood the question?

Thanks. That does make sense and it is an option. It's a bit laborious but it does work, though I was hoping for a more streamlined workflow
Mick C
Regular
Mick

Postby Mick C » Wed May 23, 2018 8:05 pm

James Perrett wrote:In Reaper I hit F2 to bring up the region properties and then click on the Choose new file... button to choose my treated file. Does Studio One have something similar?

Thanks James. That sounds great but I can't find the same facility in Studio One.

andy cross wrote:Is there an option (C) - save the files with the same name but in a different directory? Copy the original files to another directory too, then you can choose to put whichever files the DAW is looking for in the appropriate place, while keeping the alternative versions safe.

Thanks Andy. This is also possible but again I was looking for something a bit less laborious, thinking I was missing the RX6 workflow I should be using. Maybe I'm a bit spoiled with the ARA integration of event effects, melodyne etc in Studio One.

job wrote:You could also use the Connect plugin... send each clip seperately to RX and save each sent clip as an .rxdoc. This way you can send the edited clips back to their original position as well as have the undo history of the original in case you need to go back.

This really got my hopes up! I checked it out and it looks ideal, but it turns out not to be supported in Studio One (though it is for virtually every other DAW!). I've now found feature requests for it in the Presonus website
Mick C
Regular
Mick

Postby Forum Admin » Thu May 24, 2018 3:52 pm

I just found this workflow video on Studio One Expert site which gives some pointers on how to use Studio One with RX4 in standalone mode, using RX's Monitor plugin. Few years old now but the principle may just still be valid with RX6 ?

https://youtu.be/Hqt4AZ8exzA

The Move To Origin function on S1's Edit menu might also prove useful in adding RX'd audio events back into S1, as it puts them back on the timeline in their originally recorded position.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,026 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby Mick C » Thu May 31, 2018 9:54 pm

I've found the workflow that works for me. And the Move to Origin is really helpful - thanks.

The RX4 video you posted is useful on single tracks but is a bit slow when you need to batch process multiple events (like removing feedback from multiple mics) because of having to add the RX6 into each track's event FX, and then you still have to drag the modified file back into the session anyway.

I found this one is quicker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8nhAz7tvjc

You can bounce all the effected events and drag them into RX in one go. Using the composite view in RX you can process all files at the same time, then delete the originals from the session and drag the fixed files in from the pool - using Move to Origin for easy positioning.

Despite the video title being "Destructively Editing..." it's not really destructive, i.e. not "scary" like the title suggests, because you can always delete the fixed file from the session and rejoin the original media and start again - that's the benefit of using the bounce in the first place. A benefit of using Bounce over Export to Stems is you don't have to worry about what fader settings and effects you might have routed - easy to forget when you decide RX fixes are needed when you're already in the middle of a session!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and I hope others will find this information useful.
Mick C
Regular
Mick

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:28 am

Mick C wrote:I've found the workflow that works for me. And the Move to Origin is really helpful - thanks.

...this one is quicker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8nhAz7tvjc

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and I hope others will find this information useful.

Glad you found a workable solution. And thanks for posting the link to that video.

Ian G
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,026 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv