You are here

Addictive Drums or EZDrummer ?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Addictive Drums or EZDrummer ?

Postby CS70 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:59 am

Probably the most asked question in the history of midi drums, but I've been playing a bit with the demos and would like to hear any user opinons. The AD 2 demo is limited to very few kit pieces so hard to evaluate fully. The EZDrummer 2 demo was full but worked for 10 days so could play around a little more.

Both sound good and have more control than I probably need :-). They seem to be pretty awesome pieces of software, but quite costly (and occupy lots of space), so I plan to buy only one of them. EZ Drummer seems more intuitive to use - for example, you can drag the loop on a MIDI track and plays just like in the interface, while for AD when I drag it, it sounds quite different than in the interface (seems to be using a different kit?); or it wasn't immediate to me to understand which specific midi note was expected for which kit - info I need to program the pads.

EZ Drummer is marginally less expensive, but not so much to be really a factor.

My initial use is mostly for demo, but I'd like to learn to program realistic drums and in perspective even use them for actual productions, so long I manage to make them of the quality I need. Genre goes from acoustic songs to hard rock (no metal). Occasionally I do some fusion/jazz without the band, so there the plan would be to use the package for actual production work.

Basically the questions are like, what can I do with the one that I can't with the other (I mean, without significantly more effort)? About the built-in libraries which come with the basic package, is one of the two more flexible than the other (that's mainly for the demo angle of course). Any other aspects worth considering?

Cheers!
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Re: Addictive Drums or EZDrummer ?

Postby Music Wolf » Thu May 24, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi

I'd previously used BFD but tried EZ Drummer, liked it, I think added an expansion pack, then upgraded to Superior Drummer and I'm now on SD3.

I'm trying to recreate the sound and feel of a real drummer (but without the turning up without their kit, not turning up at all, trying to play under the influence, not keeping tempo, not remembering what they played last time etc).

I really, really, like the way that you can audition grooves and then just drag and drop into Cubase. The quality of the bundled grooves does highlight the weaknesses in my own groove construction so I tend to start with the SD3 groove and adapt. The problem with SD3 compared to SD2 is that the groove library is massive - just too much choice.

The HD space required is also not insignificant. Initially I just downloaded the basic sounds but you do, in my opinion, need the ambient sounds in order to bring things to life. I haven't bothered with the bleed sounds as yet.

If you do go with EZD then I'm pretty sure that the upgrade path isn't too much more than going straight for the flagship package.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu May 24, 2018 3:10 pm

If you have Kontakt then I'd suggest 'neither'. Grab a few decent kits, such as some of the Slate drum libraries and you're done.

Unless you need the MIDI patterns, of course...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Alba » Thu May 24, 2018 7:27 pm

If you do go the Kontakt route then make sure to check out the Natural Studios kit and particularly for the sort of stuff you do. http://naturaldrum.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=59
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun May 27, 2018 8:11 pm

Somehow I ended up with both. eZDrummer does weird graphic glitches on my system but works fine. AD works great. I prefer AD as I have been using it longer and am used to it. If I spent a bit more time with it then I'm sure assembling a song with its midi patterns would be as easy as it is with AD.

and now the confession -

I'm using Logic. The built in drummer and patterns are working really well for me so far. Easier than EZ or AD. The kits, so far, sit well in my mixes. I don't spend the time eqing and adding different verbs to different kit pieces except for rolling off everything below 50Hz. I haven't needed to isolate kit pieces on their own tracks to treat them separately as they work well as a stereo mix. Could my drums sound better? - sure if I was releasing tracks on their own but I'm not, there is usually dialogue, sound effects and other noises over my tracks. Your mileage may vary.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:29 pm

Thanks guys, I don't have kontakt as I'm not really a synth guy but it's an option. I was trying to make my life easier, not harder... :mrgreen:
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Sponge » Mon May 28, 2018 9:09 am

This tread sparked my interest in trying out NI Abby road modern drummer.lets just say after 5 years of Ezdrums I have seen the light.
They sound far more real to me especially the overhead mics.despite my attempt to eq the multi out channels, different room sounds, and trying some expansion packs I could never get them to sound right, But within a short space of time the Abby rd drums just sound better.as the mapping alows for a simple click on the Ezdrums midi map its a very easy process to work with my existing drum tracks.I am now keen to try some of the Kontakt sample avalible from Ndk and drumdrops etc.
The Sponge
Poster
Always Adsorbing even if I think I'm full.

Postby CS70 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Which NI Abbey Road package did u try? There seems to be quite a bit..

And, is it enough to have Kontakt Player?
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Sponge » Mon May 28, 2018 6:59 pm

The modern drummer one.Kontakt works great, as the drum mixer has ssl eq,comp,verb etc all easily tweakable to suit your mix.plenty of midi maps to suit most drums software.The sparkle kit sounds great.
The Sponge
Poster
Always Adsorbing even if I think I'm full.

Postby CS70 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:35 pm

Thanks!
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby My Own Silence » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:14 pm

Of all I used I still come back to Superior drummer. I've made loads of good demos with it. You can use all the EZ drummer expansions in it but honestly the Avatar kit in version 2 was all I ever really needed. I still use version 2 and love it. The included EQ and compression effects are great and the interface is pretty easy.

So I vote EZ drummer if you options are limited to the first 2 as that's also made by the same company.
My Own Silence
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:22 pm

The Elf wrote:If you have Kontakt then I'd suggest 'neither'. Grab a few decent kits, such as some of the Slate drum libraries and you're done.

Unless you need the MIDI patterns, of course...

I too have a lot to say for some of the NI offerings, I use Studio Drummer, Abbey Road and African Drums.

I haven't done it for a while but even though in Studio Drummer you can drag a MIDI loop onto the DAW, I sometimes set a MIDI track input to be the output from Kontakt - eg MIDI Track 1 out is Kontakt Studio Drums, and MIDI track 2 input is the output from MIDI track 1

I am not sure you can do that with Kontakt Player though, I use the full version of Kontkt

What I didn't like about some of the NI products, drums loops in particular, made my CPU wheeze, up to 50% and I have an i7. But I read on the internet products like Studio Drums loads with all the dynamics, and FX loaded by default - turn them off and sure enough the CPU use dropped to less than 10%
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)