You are here

Knobby midi controllers...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Knobby midi controllers...

Postby Zukan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:06 am

Been after an aesthetically inspiring midi controller like this:
https://www.circlefade.com/products

However, that looks a bit dear to me. Any funky suggestions to help an elderly out with some shiny knobbage and tings?
Zukan

Re: Knobby midi controllers...

Postby Matt Houghton » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:51 am

I know you're a man with time on your hands, so... BCR2000. Design and print a nice new overlay. Or get a metal one milled and screen printed. Replace the encoder caps (they just pull off) with metal ones... Replace the ugly side cheeks and front handrest with custom hardwood ones. And Roberta's your auntie! :lol:
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:53 am

Matt Houghton wrote:Replace the ugly side cheeks and front handrest with custom hardwood ones. And Roberta's your auntie! :lol:
I have actually been thinking about doing that on my behringers! :lol:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Matt Houghton » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:04 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Matt Houghton wrote:Replace the ugly side cheeks and front handrest with custom hardwood ones. And Roberta's your auntie! :lol:
I have actually been thinking about doing that on my behringers! :lol:

Me too. I have a pair of BCRs. The wooden cheeks bit is easy if you have the tools... You just have to rout it out in the right places to make it fit.

It's the top plate that really annoys me, though. Creating a stylish looking overlay that is durable and doesn't protrude too much from the surface isn't easy (you can print and laminate/cut out one to give you nice graphics but it will always look a bit cheap...). My dad has a CNC milling machine which I'm looking into, though ;)

Replacing the knob is slightly tricky too — physically easy but they're obviously continuous encoders and almost all the stylish knobs in the world have a position marker on them for use with pots. (I had in mind to put coloured knobs on one for use as an SSL channel strip controller...)

Marvellous controllers on the whole. Just wish they looked a bit prettier...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:18 pm

Well if you're knocking up a template for a cnc machine consider me a potentially interested customer. ;)
I use my bcr as a channel strip as well (inspired by your original article on it). :) What about anodized aluminium knobs in the different colours? Might have to have a shufti at some point. I'll need a new project once I've finished making my guitar. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:28 pm

Haha. Will do... My plan is to knock something up in Photoshop and let my Dad sort if from there... though in reality this is probably one of those myriad projects that will sit on the backburner for some time — garage-studio conversion almost complete in terms of the building side of things... and I now have a whole load of other setting up to do before I turn my attention back to the BCR project... there are the SSL EQs to rackmount... the Telefunken modules to resurrect... the isolation cab to build... the endless acoustics issues to attend to... the console to recap and plumb in... the vintage bass to breath life into... the vintage GEC ribbon mic to repair... the new PC to build... and this is all ignoring the solving of unforeseen problems!

Glad the article inspired you btw :)
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:44 pm

"unforeseen problems"

Is that code for the never ending Honey-Do list? (Assuming there is a better half in the equation)
:bouncy:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:52 pm

blinddrew wrote:I use my bcr as a channel strip as well (inspired by your original article on it). :)

To help those looking for this article, it is here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/hardware-controlled-channel-strip-cubase
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,026 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:42 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:Haha. Will do... My plan is to knock something up in Photoshop and let my Dad sort if from there... though in reality this is probably one of those myriad projects that will sit on the backburner for some time — garage-studio conversion almost complete in terms of the building side of things... and I now have a whole load of other setting up to do before I turn my attention back to the BCR project... there are the SSL EQs to rackmount... the Telefunken modules to resurrect... the isolation cab to build... the endless acoustics issues to attend to... the console to recap and plumb in... the vintage bass to breath life into... the vintage GEC ribbon mic to repair... the new PC to build... and this is all ignoring the solving of unforeseen problems!

Glad the article inspired you btw :)

Well if I get any further on it before you I'll share anything I find. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby ore_terra » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:35 am

it would be cool to get one of those with the same layout as Mixbus 32c strip
ore_terra
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:03 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:I know you're a man with time on your hands, so... BCR2000. Design and print a nice new overlay. Or get a metal one milled and screen printed. Replace the encoder caps (they just pull off) with metal ones... Replace the ugly side cheeks and front handrest with custom hardwood ones. And Roberta's your auntie! :lol:

Yep, that's what occurred to me. I got a UC-33 for £30 and with MIDI learn had a controller up and running with 10 minutes or so, seems I just need some big fat chromy knobs on it!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:06 pm

ore_terra wrote:it would be cool to get one of those with the same layout as Mixbus 32c strip

As far as I know the Behringer X-Touch has Mixbus templates

And how would this controller be compared to the Softube controller?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:10 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
blinddrew wrote:I use my bcr as a channel strip as well (inspired by your original article on it). :)

To help those looking for this article, it is here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/hardware-controlled-channel-strip-cubase

I can vouch for those articles, demystified the subject for me, very informative and intuitive examples :-)
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ore_terra » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:02 pm

OneWorld wrote:
ore_terra wrote:it would be cool to get one of those with the same layout as Mixbus 32c strip

As far as I know the Behringer X-Touch has Mixbus templates

Too many buttons. I’d just like one only strip

And how would this controller be compared to the Softube controller?

The console 1 is not a midi controller. It just controll its own software (and some UAD plugins)
ore_terra
Regular

Postby Matt Houghton » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:53 am

ore_terra wrote:The console 1 is not a midi controller. It just controll its own software (and some UAD plugins)

To be fair, the MkII does a bit more than that -- as well as Softube and UAD, there's now also direct control of some aspects of Studio One, Cubase, Cakewalk and Reaper -- and I expect there's more in the pipeline.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby BillB » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:43 am

Regarding BCR2000 appearance and overlays, this may be of interest.

http://www.taktility.com/overlays/bcr2000/
BillB
Regular

Postby ore_terra » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:21 am

Matt Houghton wrote:
ore_terra wrote:The console 1 is not a midi controller. It just controll its own software (and some UAD plugins)

To be fair, the MkII does a bit more than that -- as well as Softube and UAD, there's now also direct control of some aspects of Studio One, Cubase, Cakewalk and Reaper -- and I expect there's more in the pipeline.
Yes. track name and number, solo, mute, pan and level.
ore_terra
Regular

Postby ore_terra » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:30 am

BillB wrote:Regarding BCR2000 appearance and overlays, this may be of interest.

http://www.taktility.com/overlays/bcr2000/" target="phpbbpopup

This is another option if you run out of knobs :lol:
looooong link
ore_terra
Regular

Postby Matt Houghton » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:42 am

BillB wrote:Regarding BCR2000 appearance and overlays, this may be of interest.

http://www.taktility.com/overlays/bcr2000/

Yeah, seen those before. The white ones are useful for prototyping. Last time I checked, though, when you downloaded the template for the custom ones it was for the BCF not the BCR :headbang:

There are some nice wooden stands available for mounting multiple BCRs too. (Search eBay... I won't link here as you never know how long the link will last!)

Ideally, though, I want a thin brushed metal and engraved/printed overlay...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Zukan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:51 am

When you start a thread about cool midi controllers and they drop Behringer in there....

Zukan

Next