You are here

Using .REX file data or Recycle markers

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Using .REX file data or Recycle markers

Postby Elephone » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Hello. Is there any way to use the markers from one Recycle session (.REX file) and apply them to another? I know the splices can be saved as MIDI information in Recycle.

I also know you can bring .REX files into Reaper 5.4, and actually manage them as a single loop, yet change the tempo without Reaper applying timestretching algorithms!

Anyway, this got me thinking about recycling my drum stems...

Say, for instance, I have a dry snare stem and a wet (reverb) snare stem (of the same session).

The reverb tails would cause different markers (than the dry snare stem) to be auto-generated by Recycle or Reason.

So I'd like to use the markers from the dry snare track and apply them to the wet snare track... at least as a starting point. This is so the tracks line up after I've changed the tempo.

Can saving the splices as MIDI information be used to generate splicing markers in Reaper?

I was wondering there was a way to trick Recycle into using the markers from one file but loading another file, for instance. There doesn't appear to be a more sophisticated program out there, unless Reaper can do something similar. It wouldn't surprise me.

Also, does anyone know what algorithm Recycle uses to alter the pitch of events? I'd have thought re-sampling would be better than timestretch preservation, since we're dealing with individual beats.
Cheers!

P.S Also, I've noticed that my Recycled drum tracks are not always put in metronomically in time. Is this something to do with the 'stretch' function in Recycle?
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Using .REX file data or Recycle markers

Postby Slash7 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:10 pm

I haven't used Recycle for years. In Studio one stuffs like detecting transients and slicings gets done automatically and I guess this feature is so common that Propellerheads must have brought it to their products. Maybe you want to ask your question in a propellerheads forum
Slash7
Regular
slash7

Postby ken long » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Elephone wrote:There doesn't appear to be a more sophisticated program out there, unless Reaper can do something similar.

Try an editor, not multitrack software.

Wavelab, for example, can do what you are asking easily.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Elephone » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:50 pm

ken long wrote:
Elephone wrote:Try an editor, not multitrack software.

Wavelab, for example, can do what you are asking easily.

Does it then allow you to change tempo, correct timing, dynamics, etc, non-destructively? Recycle also has a slider to increase or decrease splice sensitivity quickly.

I'm surprised the .REX format is only popular with Reason users, since it preserves the audio quality of the material, both when re-pitching and altering tempo. All alterations are non-destructive.

Unfortunately, their favoured use is restricted to short loops rather than long loops or stems, so the only quick way to correct timing issues within a loop is to bring it into Reason and trigger the samples via MIDI, then quantize the MIDI. However, I don't think Reason players allow loops longer than 100 splices so it means chopping stems all up into short loops.

Reaper can import these loops but it seems difficult to even out the timing within loops, only alter the overall tempo. I tried quantising the splices but they seem stubborn and have to be cut and pasted sometimes. Then you'd have to grab all splices from that point and paste them at the bar lines every now and again.

I know I'm not using .rex files for their intended purpose but surely the limitations are unnecessary. They're just splices of audio.

I think you can do something with Reaper with that 'beat position only' function, which preserves the position of items so that when you change tempo, the splices space out accordingly without any timestretch algorithms being applied. So I think that's my next move.

Cheers!
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Elephone » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:15 pm

Incidentally, Recycle is free. You can use it to quickly chop rhythmic audio into splices, process them, re-pitch them (via sample rate) and then save them.

I now intend to bring them into Reaper and treat them as items that can then affect parallel tracks.

Strangely, I can make better decisions 'by eye' than any of these programs can do via analysis. Perhaps programs should simplify the waveforms into solid forms and do the splicing optically(?)
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:08 pm

Elephone wrote:Incidentally, Recycle is free.
Showing as $99.
https://www.propellerheads.se/recycle
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Elephone » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Agharta wrote:
Elephone wrote:Incidentally, Recycle is free.
Showing as $99.
https://www.propellerheads.se/recycle

Oops! Sorry. I've had my version for many years. I thought I heard they'd re-released it for free recently.

£99 for such archaic and limited functionality is a rip-off actually! Even though I do use it a lot I don't think I'd pay that, especially if I wasn't familiar with it. I might pay that if it allowed more than stereo tracks and allowed VSTs.

I'd probably go with the splicing in a DAW then applying the equivalent functions I mentioned, along with gating, compression, EQ.
Elephone
Frequent Poster