You are here

RX6 help needed, i've made a real mess - wind noise

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

RX6 help needed, i've made a real mess - wind noise

Postby Andy at Focallocal » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:50 pm

I posted in a reddit forum and they suggested someone here might be able to help me.

I spent ages creating intro videos for projects my charity runs, and the kind volunteer filming didn't have the lapel mic working. Not likely i'll find another film-maker soon to re-do them, What would you do for this wind-noise? Dub them? repair them? Give them up :/

The guys in the forum said RX6 might be able to restore them, but obviously its too high an investment for just one job (ignoring that i currently live in a van to keep living costs as low as possible).

Here's the files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V4hWo ... d2yaPRifmR

Their other suggestions were for me to add subtitles and background music once the wind noise is reduced, that part i can do myself without any extra software needed. Would you agree with that advice?
Andy at Focallocal

Re: RX6 help needed, i've made a real mess - wind noise

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:28 pm

I feel for you, poorly recorded dialog is a crappy situation that is really hard to recover from. :(

I wouldn't recommend going out and buying RX6 and expecting a magic one-click cure to make the audio great - it has great tools, but it doesn't require a certain amount of skill to really use effectively (restoration is an art in itself.)

Haven said that, someone with good skills would be able to make some improvements in the audio you have, but there's quite a lot of audio to process, and the audio is not trivial to improve. I took a section and tried a few quick processes on it to see what would be possible. I'm not sure I would be particularly happy with any of them, and because the wind noise is louder than the dialog, it's very hard to end up with unaffected clean dialog than you can turn up and be happy with - but I don't know how this is intended to be used...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:15 pm

Got to be honest...

I'd say borrow an SLR camera and a tripod and do it again. It's going to be less painful. If you were in my part of the world I'd lend you mine.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:16 pm

I haven't listened to your files yet as I'm out and about, b if the dialogue is buried in wind noise the chances of getting much usable are slim. If you have access to the original 'actors' then re-voicing (ADR) is probably the best bet -- where they listen to short loops of the dialogue and re-record their voices clean. You then stitch it all back together and dub on an appropriate background atmospheres and sound effects. It's time-consuming, but no longer than trying (and failing) to clean up a very poor sync track, and the results should be better.

As you've discovered, though, there's no substitute for getting the sound right on location, and it takes more skill and experience than most people appreciate!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:25 am

After listening to the files, I agree there's not a lot can be done to fix this. A fair bit of the deep wind noise as it hits the mic seems already filtered out, leaving little more to do. Much of the other loud noise is general wind noise in the location which is very difficult to remove without also removing the voice.

When shooting it's a good idea for the camera operator to wear headphones so they can hear what is actually being recorded to the soundtrack. With headphones here it would have been obvious from all the background noise that the lapel mic wasnt being picked up, only the camera's internal mics.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:58 am

The Elf wrote:Got to be honest...

I'd say borrow an SLR camera and a tripod and do it again. It's going to be less painful.

Agreed.
There were two lapel mics on your T-shirt, I guess neither were plugged in?

Everyone's an expert after the event- but next time, record one and listen back to it before doing the rest of the inserts.

Good luck, and I hope you're not too discouraged!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Brian M Rose » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Just a thought...
Are you absolutely sure that you don't have the channel for the lav mics? Check this out. Otherwise I agree with others; reshoot.
Now as negative as it sounds, it is really important that everyone knows what they are doing. I've had many years experience of trying to 'rescue' material that was more than useless, shot by well-meaning volunteers or friends trying to gain experience.
It was, for me tragic, especially as this was very expensive equipment rented to new producers (generally at very generous rates). These days you can shoot with equipment capable of very high quality results at a fraction of the cost of what was available only a few years ago. But you still need the skills.
So, on your reshoot, 'TEST,TEST,TEST'. Make sure that everything works as it is supposed to do. And yes, I speak from very bitter experience.
Also, a small point about the picture quality. Try shooting in less contrasty lighting, it will be far more flattering for the presenter.
As I said, we've all been there. My own 'best?' I suppose I will never live down rushing off to the airport on a very hot story, and finding when I arrived that I had left the cameras in the office! :-)
Brian M Rose
Regular