You are here

Rounded Vocal

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Rounded Vocal

Postby LiamH2013 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Anybody know how to get this polished vocal effect.

I feel my vocals are mixed well but very dynamic i am trying to get them sounding alot like the afrobeat tracks.. any ideas on what plugin gives the vocal this polished finish??

i imagen its a compressor but cant master it
is the reverb sent through a compressor? just cant put my finger on it

https://youtu.be/MuHmOA_eaCc
LiamH2013
Poster

Re: Rounded Vocal

Postby Hjlphilp » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Keep in mind, garbage in garbage out... meaning that this guy is probably recording into a u87 and into some real expensive preamps.

So what you do to still MIX in a pop style is monkey hear, monkey do. I've come to find using slight choruses on a send give me that 'shimmer' effect. Counterintuitively, I'm really boosting highs at the end unless I really need to... I'm really tryna get the vocal compressed well and paralell'd well.

The delay and reverb is so crucial it's not even funny... it has to be big but quiet, and obvsly you need to time your delay to where it fits with the song... even if you use one send to stereoize and another for rythmm.

Penultimately, do whatever you have to to monkey hear, monkey do. My teacher gave me the best rule, "If it sounds good, it IS good... and we dont care how you got there"
Hjlphilp
Poster