You are here

iZotope Elements Suite - Advice

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

iZotope Elements Suite - Advice

Postby John Egan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi everyone,
I just bought Elements Suite from Izotope. As you know this comprises the RX, Neutron and Ozone Elements plugins.
I have used some Izotope plugin before, but that has been the stuff which is bundled with Soundforge, so I have used it at the album creation stage to finsh (I hesitate to call it mastering) and consolidate the tracks.
I can see that, in principle, RX has tools for processing individual tracks, Neutron is a mixing tool and Ozone is intended mainly for mastering.
However the documentation is not particularly good for the relatively clueless old codger segment of the market.
In particular, with Neutron, do I strap it across the mix, put an instance on every track or include it on those tracks I consider to be the core of the mix ? So far, I have taken the latter approach and I have used Track Assistant to give me a starting point. However I would like to know if this is a reasonable approach before I waste too much time.
I am using Reason, which seems to accommodate VSTs pretty well now and my stuff doesn't use many tracks.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Re: Izotope Elements Suite - Advice

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:23 pm

I don't know about the other parts of the suite but I was very disappointed in RX Elements when I bought it (but it only cost me £25 so I wasn't too upset). I really couldn't find anything that worked better than the software that I was already using. However, everyone says how good the full version of RX is and so, when Izotope offered an upgrade at a price that I couldn't refuse, I decided to take the risk.

I would have to say that the full version of RX is much more useful than RX Elements - the spectral denoising is far more effective and less obtrusive than the alternatives and spectral repair is also more versatile than others that I've tried.

I don't know whether the other parts of the Elements package are similarly crippled but, if you are underwhelmed by any of it then it would be worth trying the demos of the full versions (and then waiting a few weeks or months until they offer you a good upgrade deal).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby John Egan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:57 pm

James Perrett wrote:I don't know whether the other parts of the Elements package are similarly crippled but, if you are underwhelmed by any of it then it would be worth trying the demos of the full versions (and then waiting a few weeks or months until they offer you a good upgrade deal).

Thanks, James. I'll keep an eye out.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby gregvon8 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:44 pm

Hi John,

Actually the RX is the tool to bacisally denoises your tracks or removes any unwanted noise, or a crowd or any noise you don't want to.

About Neutron, you can basically use it in a lot of ways : on a single track, on a group bus, or your master track as a mix plug in. It's pretty versatile and I like to use it mostly on guitars and drums bus track and the master track too.

Ozone is the tool for mastering you name it. It is pretty complete and the preset or/and the assistant track on both Ozone and Neutron can give you starting points.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Greg
gregvon8

Postby John Egan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:37 pm

gregvon8 wrote:Hi John,

Actually the RX is the tool to bacisally denoises your tracks or removes any unwanted noise, or a crowd or any noise you don't want to.

About Neutron, you can basically use it in a lot of ways : on a single track, on a group bus, or your master track as a mix plug in. It's pretty versatile and I like to use it mostly on guitars and drums bus track and the master track too.

Ozone is the tool for mastering you name it. It is pretty complete and the preset or/and the assistant track on both Ozone and Neutron can give you starting points.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Thanks Greg, that's helpful.
It's Neutron that was puzzling me most, but I discovered the Mike Senior review of the package which, unaccountably, I had missed before. That is very helpful too. I am slowly getting the hang of it with the stuff I'm working on at the moment.
Thanks once again - and to Mike Senior too.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:23 pm

James Perrett wrote:I don't know about the other parts of the suite but I was very disappointed in RX Elements when I bought it (but it only cost me £25 so I wasn't too upset). I really couldn't find anything that worked better than the software that I was already using.

If, like me, you had no software of the kind in RX Elements then what you do get comes as a bit of a revelation. It certainly left me receptive when, just a month after buying RX Elements for 25 quid I had an email offering me a big reduction on the full suite on account of being a loyal long term user ... So James is right, hang on a bit and a good offer will come along in due course.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:54 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:So James is right, hang on a bit and a good offer will come along in due course.

If you are patient enough to wait for 6 months an even better offer comes along - I wonder how long you have to wait until the upgrade is free :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:
James Perrett

Postby John Egan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:02 am

James Perrett wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote:So James is right, hang on a bit and a good offer will come along in due course.

If you are patient enough to wait for 6 months an even better offer comes along - I wonder how long you have to wait until the upgrade is free :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Thanks Concertina Chap and thanks James.
I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled.
The software will, I'm sure prove very useful, provided I can avoid the initial temptation to go overboard with the processing.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:35 am

John Egan wrote:The software will, I'm sure prove very useful, provided I can avoid the initial temptation to go overboard with the processing.
Regards, John

I find Neutron great on individual tracks. It's generally pretty intelligent on acoustic stuff but has a tendancy to add a low bass boost to vocal tracks where you'd usually expect it to cut. Ozone can make a huge difference on the master buss but most of the pre-sets (on elements & the full fat version) are massively over-cooked. I'd recommend dialing in around 50% as a starting point otherwise it can get uncomfortably harsh. The iZotope videos are much better for getting started than the documentation that comes with it.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
#indyref/bestof3

Postby John Egan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:58 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:I find Neutron great on individual tracks. It's generally pretty intelligent on acoustic stuff but has a tendancy to add a low bass boost to vocal tracks where you'd usually expect it to cut. Ozone can make a huge difference on the master buss but most of the pre-sets (on elements & the full fat version) are massively over-cooked. I'd recommend dialing in around 50% as a starting point otherwise it can get uncomfortably harsh. The iZotope videos are much better for getting started than the documentation that comes with it.

Thanks for the tips, Mike.
I'll watch out for the bass boost in Neutron. I haven't done much with Ozone yet, but I had noticed that it was better dialled down a bit. I'll also have another go at the videos.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Fleer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:56 am

Just got the Suite myself. Includes the new Nectar Elements as well now.
Fleer

Postby redlester » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Both Neutron and Ozone are on special offer at the moment, for upgrades from Elements to Advanced at $199 each (or $99 from Elements to Standard). Although beware iZotope’s web site pricing does not include VAT which only gets added on right at the end.

When I logged into my iZotope account these upgrades were not available on my account upgrades page, I had to email them to point this out before I was able to upgrade at the advertised prices. If you look at the home page for either of Neutron or Ozone, and click on “Pricing” you will see the offer prices there.
redlester
Regular

Postby John Egan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:02 pm

redlester wrote:Both Neutron and Ozone are on special offer at the moment, for upgrades from Elements to Advanced at $199 each (or $99 from Elements to Standard). Although beware iZotope’s web site pricing does not include VAT which only gets added on right at the end.

When I logged into my iZotope account these upgrades were not available on my account upgrades page, I had to email them to point this out before I was able to upgrade at the advertised prices. If you look at the home page for either of Neutron or Ozone, and click on “Pricing” you will see the offer prices there.

Hi Redlester,
Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at the website to remind myself of the difference between "Elements" and the other packages.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Zukan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:13 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:
John Egan wrote:The software will, I'm sure prove very useful, provided I can avoid the initial temptation to go overboard with the processing.
Regards, John

I find Neutron great on individual tracks. It's generally pretty intelligent on acoustic stuff but has a tendancy to add a low bass boost to vocal tracks where you'd usually expect it to cut. Ozone can make a huge difference on the master buss but most of the pre-sets (on elements & the full fat version) are massively over-cooked. I'd recommend dialing in around 50% as a starting point otherwise it can get uncomfortably harsh. The iZotope videos are much better for getting started than the documentation that comes with it.

Glad to see someone else noticed the hike in the low end when using Neutron.

I have created a nice master buss chain but using Ozone. Happy to share when Magnums are produced.
Zukan

Postby James Perrett » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:The iZotope videos are much better for getting started than the documentation that comes with it.

Yes, I've noticed that with the RX videos. The only problem is that they don't explain why they chose particular settings - they just show you what they consider to be the best setting without giving you any idea of how you should vary it to get the results you want.
James Perrett

Postby John Egan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:45 pm

Zukan wrote:
Dynamic Mike wrote:
Regards, John

I have created a nice master buss chain but using Ozone. Happy to share when Magnums are produced.

Hi Zukan,
At present, I have only used Neutron Elements when mixing individual songs, with an instance on each track. This seems to work pretty well, and it's easy to control the level of bass.
I will use Ozone when I have an album of songs to master, using Soundforge Pro 12 Suite. Pro 10 did come supplied with a version of Ozone 7, so I'll be interested to see what the differences are in Ozone 8 using Elements. It may be some time before I am ready for this, since things are slow on the writing front at the moment.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby John Egan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:58 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Dynamic Mike wrote:The iZotope videos are much better for getting started than the documentation that comes with it.

Yes, I've noticed that with the RX videos. The only problem is that they don't explain why they chose particular settings - they just show you what they consider to be the best setting without giving you any idea of how you should vary it to get the results you want.

Hi James,
I must confess that I find video tutorials very difficult to work with in the very early part of the learning curve. They go too fast to stick in the memory (this maybe just age, of course). I like a good manual ( now mostly defunct, sadly) or even a .pdf will do.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Slowing down/speeding up YouTube videos

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:40 pm

John Egan wrote:I must confess that I find video tutorials very difficult to work with in the very early part of the learning curve. They go too fast to stick in the memory...

If those iZ videos are on YouTube, you can always make use of YT's really useful speed up/slow down Speed setting (located in the cogwheel settings popup). It doesn't work well on all content types, but worth a try.

This YT video explains it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUymMkTpScw
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby James Perrett » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:17 pm

John Egan wrote:I must confess that I find video tutorials very difficult to work with in the very early part of the learning curve. They go too fast to stick in the memory (this maybe just age, of course). I like a good manual ( now mostly defunct, sadly) or even a .pdf will do.
Regards, John

I'd agree about manuals vs videos - but I probably come from the other end of the problem as there's usually just one little gotcha that I'm trying to get over and I don't really want to have to sit through a 10 minute video just to find that one vital piece of information that they missed out in the help file.

Having used Visual Studio for development I found that I came to depend on the F1 key for context sensitive help and I sometimes wish that other manufacturers would make as good use of it as Microsoft's Visual Studio does.
James Perrett

Postby Zukan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:57 pm

John Egan wrote:
Zukan wrote:
Dynamic Mike wrote:
Regards, John

Hi Zukan,
At present, I have only used Neutron Elements when mixing individual songs, with an instance on each track. This seems to work pretty well, and it's easy to control the level of bass.
I will use Ozone when I have an album of songs to master, using Soundforge Pro 12 Suite. Pro 10 did come supplied with a version of Ozone 7, so I'll be interested to see what the differences are in Ozone 8 using Elements. It may be some time before I am ready for this, since things are slow on the writing front at the moment.
Regards, John

Hey John,

I also run single instances of it at the channel stage but every time I get the hike in the low end and specifically for vocals. What makes the profiling even worse is the fact that the hikes at the low end are always shelves and almost always up to around 150-200Hz.
Zukan

Next