You are here

Double Track Guitar

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Double Track Guitar

Postby JRocker » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:07 am

Hi,

Hope I'm in right forum was not sure if I should post here in mixing or recording forum...

Have recorded a double track rhythm guitar part. Problem is the second part is not the best so I have tried re-recording numerous times but cannot capture the "essence" and "spirit" of the first take, I always like double tracking as I like to pan my rhythm guitars left and right in stereo spectrum...but is there any way to copy the first part and paste it and make it work like a double tracked part? I remember reading somewhere once that it is possible to do this by adding a slight delay to the second part or just by moving the audio event slight forward...advise please.
JRocker
Poster

Re: Double Track Guitar

Postby The Elf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:56 am

The most common method for adding a fake double is to add a short delay to the original audio. The original and the delayed parts are then often panned at opposite sides of the mix to enhance the illusion and to add width to the mix.

You can simply copy the original and delay the copy by moving it in your DAW, or you can use a delay processor (hardware, or plug-in). I would begin with a delay of 10ms and adjust it to taste - much more than 25ms and you will begin the hear the 'double' as a slap echo.

You can further enhance the technique by applying a slight pitch shift, or modulation to the copy. There are plug-ins (e.g. Waves' 'Doubler', or Boz Labs' 'Imperial Delay') that allow for all of this in the one package.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:59 am

Yes, you can delay the part a few ms (or nudge it forward, it’s exactly the same) and add a pitch shifter tuned to a few cents of difference. An auto-tuning pass also works. It gets you a chorusy feel. Whether or not it sounds how you want depends on the track but there’s no harm in trying.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:45 am

What I generally do in this situation is create a fake double by duplicating the original track and then re-ordering it, for instance by swapping the guitar from verse 1 and verse 2, chorus 1 and chorus 2, and so on. As long as they're recorded to a click, most songs have enough repetition to make this possible with a bit of imagination! To my ears this sounds a lot more natural than any ADT or doubling effect.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Darren Lynch » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:41 am

Sam Inglis wrote:What I generally do in this situation is create a fake double by duplicating the original track and then re-ordering it, for instance by swapping the guitar from verse 1 and verse 2, chorus 1 and chorus 2, and so on. As long as they're recorded to a click, most songs have enough repetition to make this possible with a bit of imagination! To my ears this sounds a lot more natural than any ADT or doubling effect.

I have used the delayed track option often, or used Logic's Sample Delay for the same purpose. However, beware - this effect needs a percussive element (essentially a guitar strum) to make the brain think it is hearing two distinct events. On sustained guitar parts, you'll hear the two signals drift back together. Try it and see (hear) for yourself. Sam's suggestion will eliminate this, because running a reordered guitar track alongside the original track features genuine events happening at different points in time and with subtly different tonality.

It is worth establishing a couple of fake double track techniques which work for you. As the OP mentions, sometimes a mono guitar track is just too damn good to repeat with precision. In fact, it's probably the lack the precision which makes it good in the first place!
Darren Lynch
Regular

Postby andrushkiwt » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:14 pm

Playing it again is your best option, though you can certainly do the above methods regarding playing with delay and time. If it's a chord-heavy rhythm section, try playing it slightly different - move up the neck or detune and play the chords transposed. It gives a nice change in tone while staying cohesive.
andrushkiwt

Postby Terrible.dee » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Dude...listen to your ears!

DON'T DOUBLE IT

Today people feel obliged to "double this" "Triple that" "Layer these"

NO! YOU DON'T NEED TO DO ANY OF THAT!

If it sounds "right" with one guitar then your ears are telling you "That's it! We're good!"

LISTEN to them
Terrible.dee
Poster

Postby JRocker » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 pm

Thank you all for the advice and replies, much appreciated and very helpful. Cheers.
JRocker
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Terrible.dee wrote:Dude...listen to your ears!

DON'T DOUBLE IT

Today people feel obliged to "double this" "Triple that" "Layer these"

NO! YOU DON'T NEED TO DO ANY OF THAT!

If it sounds "right" with one guitar then your ears are telling you "That's it! We're good!"

LISTEN to them

I LIKE that advice a lot Terrible.dee - I suspect you should change your moniker to Helpful.dee :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker