You are here

Desperate for mixing critique

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Desperate for mixing critique

Postby dooger94 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Hey guys, so I’ve been producing for a little over a year, and I feel like I’ve made some progress, but it’s very slow. I think it’s in part due to the fact I have no one to guide me on how to improve, learning everything on my own. Thankfully, the internet is a thing and can hopefully help me out a bit. Anyway, I recently did a remix of a Madonna song, and I’ve been sending it to blogs to be shared and hopefully get promotion for it, but it keeps being declined, and the feedback (for the mix) I get is too vague. I would very much appreciate some critique on my mix, and would love to know how I can improve and progress in this craft. Thanks in advance!!!

https://soundcloud.com/seanpatrick1814/madonna-borderline-the-breeze-remix
dooger94

Re: Desperate for mixing critique

Postby resistorman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:42 am

Everyone has an opinion, and here’s mine. The original song is boring and dated, it has not aged well. Album filler at best. You’ve done some clever tricks to a musical corpse. Take what you learned doing this and apply it to something original of your own, or maybe a friends’ tune.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Intro and verse sounds interesting but for me the chorus doesn't work - the musical chord progression is fighting the vocals and the arrangement doesn't help. The chorus dips where it should lift.

I think you've also mislabelled the genre - this probably isn't something a DJ would play as the rhythm isn't strong enough for much of the song and the sax part is fine once, but isn't really strong enough to be used as much as you are using it.

This is just my opinion though and bear in mind that I haven't done much DJ'ing for over 20 years so I may be out of date.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby DC-Choppah » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:10 am

Fun treatment of the verse. Sounds fresh. Playful version of the classic tune.

Chorus is unpleasant to listen too. Sorry. That analog bass just sounds out of tune. All of the emotional energy of the tune from the verse is sucked away at the chorus. This is not working harmonically or rhythmically. This chorus is not dance-able! I am not sure what you were thinking here!
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:17 am

So, I had a listen when the post first went up and decided to see if some others could give sensible advice first. Because I'm struggling a bit with what you are aiming for here. What are you trying to achieve?

If it's bringing an old 80s tune into the 21st century, then I'm fairly ambivalent - some of your instrumentation is cleaner sounding and creates a mismatch in sounds.

If it's just re-working a tune for the fun of it, then I'd say that the vocals are too low. Vocals should always be the focus imho.

If it's turning it into a modern dance track, then I'm totally out of my comfort zone here. For all I know, the balance you have is the new, happening sound that I'm just not up on.

So is this supposed to be in a certain genre? Or is it just having a playground with an old vocal line?

FWIW, if you're just doing it for the sheer fun of it, I'd advise stripping it back and re-building it a few times to get variations of approach and see which fits the song best. But I like to fiddle :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby BJG145 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:49 am

Dave B wrote:I'd say that the vocals are too low. Vocals should always be the focus imho.

I had a quick listen and that was my first thought.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby dooger94 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:07 pm

Dave B wrote:So, I had a listen when the post first went up and decided to see if some others could give sensible advice first. Because I'm struggling a bit with what you are aiming for here. What are you trying to achieve?

If it's bringing an old 80s tune into the 21st century, then I'm fairly ambivalent - some of your instrumentation is cleaner sounding and creates a mismatch in sounds.

If it's just re-working a tune for the fun of it, then I'd say that the vocals are too low. Vocals should always be the focus imho.

If it's turning it into a modern dance track, then I'm totally out of my comfort zone here. For all I know, the balance you have is the new, happening sound that I'm just not up on.

So is this supposed to be in a certain genre? Or is it just having a playground with an old vocal line?

FWIW, if you're just doing it for the sheer fun of it, I'd advise stripping it back and re-building it a few times to get variations of approach and see which fits the song best. But I like to fiddle :)

My intentions were to have fun, but create something that would still sound good and hopefully be something people would enjoy as well. I guess I wasn't really going for a dance track, although I can see how it sounds super dance-y during the verses. I was inspired by a genre called Tropical House, which is usually more chill music (and honestly I may have botched it and just created my own distorted view of it). I see the contradiction between the verses and chorus, but that's what I like about it, the contrast. But that's just my taste sometimes lol. When the chorus hits, it just kind of chills out, but still has a good groove to it, imo. I'm afraid I didn't notice the bass sounding out of tune because I heard it over and over and just sort of got used to it and comfortable with it, but idk. When you say some of my instrumentation is mismatched, does that seem to be a mixing issue? Because I feel like I'm still like, total novice when it comes to that. I'm afraid I listen to it so many times while creating and then mixing that it all starts to sound good and normal, even though it's not. Anyway, thanks to all of you for the replies, it's great to hear professional feedback, I really appreciate it!!! :D
dooger94

Postby dooger94 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:15 pm

dooger94