You are here

Is Logic used by many pros vs Reaper and what are its advantages?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Is Logic used by many pros vs Reaper and what are its advantages?

Postby TheLegit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:01 pm

I'm moving from PC/ Reaper to Mac/ Logic and was wondering a) the advantages of Logic over Reaper and b) is Logic used by a lot of pros over Reaper.
TheLegit
Poster

Re: Is Logic used by many pros vs Reaper and what are it's advantages

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:16 pm

TheLegit wrote:I'm moving from PC/ Reaper to Mac/ Logic and was wondering a) the advantages of Logic over Reaper

The only advantage I can immediately think of is that Logic is bundled with a lot of decent virtual instruments. Everything is much the same.

... and b) is Logic used by a lot of pros over Reaper.

Logic is used by a lot of Pros... but then so is Reaper, and Cubase, and Nuendo, and ProTools, and Digital Performer, and lots of other DAWs.

At the end of the day it is just a tool that does a job, like all the other DAWs. The differences between DAWs these days are quite small, and mostly come down to familiarity and personal preferences.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dave B » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:17 pm

To answer your questions :

1. Content. Logic comes with a whole load of content - loops, instruments, etc that can be used to build up tracks. Reaper (as far as I understand it) doesn't. Other than that, most DAWs these days are pretty much the same - although I know some users adore the way that Reaper works (particularly it's macro features). I think that Logic looks prettier. But then Reaper can be skinned.

TBH, the only real reason to change is if you are working with people who also use Logic. Reaper works fine on the Mac. Logic is great, but it's an extra couple of hundred quid - if you've got it then splurge. But I can think of other things to spend the money on.

2. Other users. Logic is used by a lot of pros. And a lot of non pros. So is Reaper. I've heard that some pros prefer the way that Reaper does certain things. But a lot of writers prefer the tools in Logic. Not all mind.

Meh... ;)

Look, if you are happy working in Reaper then I'd say stay with that. It's not like it's a bad product (far from it). I like the way that Logic works but then that's because I have invested many years in becoming fluent in it. If I were to invest some time, I'm sure I could equally good results in Reaper, Mixbus, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc...

Worry about what will enable you to make music first and what other people do second. That's my 2c anyway...

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Dave B » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:19 pm

Damn. Once again Hugh types the same point more efficiently and faster than me.. :D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby TheLegit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Thanks, I know it's one synth but Logic having Alchemy is a huge plus point. How do the stock plugins compare do you guys think, I've never liked Reaper's stripped back look personally either but that's just cosmetic.

I heard Logic is better for electronic music somewhere but no idea if this is the case.
TheLegit
Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:43 pm

TheLegit wrote:Thanks, I know it's one synth but Logic having Alchemy is a huge plus point. How do the stock plugins compare do you guys think, I've never liked Reaper's stripped back look personally either but that's just cosmetic.

Logic's plugins range from Ok to excellent. the EQ & Compressors are really good, it has some very nice reverbs and delays, great synths like Retrosynth, Sculpture, Alchemy, ES2, it's got clav, epiano and organ emulations, Drum Kit Designer (and Drummer), Ultrabeat - *loads* of good stuff to explore...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Re: Is Logic used by many pros vs Reaper and what are its advantages?

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:44 pm

TheLegit wrote:I heard Logic is better for electronic music somewhere but no idea if this is the case.

There are lots of myths like that one kicking around... I'm sure most Ableton Live users would champion their DAW as being better for EM, whilst FL Studio users might say the same.

As Hugh says, with every new version release the DAWs are converging ever more, and familiarity of using one is probably the most important aspect.

"Me, I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk" (Genesis)
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,119 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby TheLegit » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:39 pm

desmond wrote:
TheLegit wrote:Thanks, I know it's one synth but Logic having Alchemy is a huge plus point. How do the stock plugins compare do you guys think, I've never liked Reaper's stripped back look personally either but that's just cosmetic.

Logic's plugins range from Ok to excellent. the EQ & Compressors are really good, it has some very nice reverbs and delays, great synths like Retrosynth, Sculpture, Alchemy, ES2, it's got clav, epiano and organ emulations, Drum Kit Designer (and Drummer), Ultrabeat - *loads* of good stuff to explore...

Great to hear! I think I will go Logic then, if all things are pretty much equal but you get more free sounds / synths with Logic then I'll be heading that route.

Cheers all
TheLegit
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:43 pm

TheLegit wrote:I think I will go Logic then, if all things are pretty much equal but you get more free sounds / synths with Logic then I'll be heading that route.

Er, not exactly no. As others have already said, Logic costs considerably more, but yes, it does come with more bundled sounds/synths than Reaper.

For me, this is the clincher to go with Reaper - lay out a lot less money initially, but then choose what synths/plug-ins I actually want to make my own music, rather than using exactly what every other Logic user does :headbang:

Also, while Reaper doesn't go overboard on its bundled plug-ins, they are actually amazingly useful (despite their singular lack of fancy interfaces), and I've lost count of the number of times I've thought of buying a specific type of plug-in for a project only to discover that Reaper has already supplied one that works incredibly well 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Freelance Subversive » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:37 pm

TheLegit wrote:I'm moving from PC/ Reaper to Mac/ Logic and was wondering a) the advantages of Logic over Reaper and b) is Logic used by a lot of pros over Reaper.

One problem I find with Logic is the lack of a trial option, or light-featured version to help mitigate a potentially costly mistake. Garageband as great as it is, doesn't really seem to be representative of what one can ultimately expect from Logic. Unless you are already intent on moving to Mac (OS) irrespective of Logic, it's also quite a leap from one ecosystem to another for the sake of single piece of software with an attractive sample-synth.

All too often it's tempting to chase after something which appears new and shiny — at least compared to what one's already using — because we're a little bored. Another benefit of Mr Walker's suggestion is, should you eventually decide to try another DAW, you ought to have a reasonably impressive unrestricted, personalised plug-in bundle to migrate with.
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:02 pm

Freelance Subversive wrote:One problem I find with Logic is the lack of a trial option

You can alway trundle into into Apple Store, Logic is pre-installed on all the Macs by default, if you've no other option...

Bu yes, GB *is* Logic-Lite, it's just that Logic has a lot more stuff (and by default, Logic usually has the advanced tools turned off so even *looks* like GB to begin with, to welcome newcomers...)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby TheLegit » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:58 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
TheLegit wrote:I think I will go Logic then, if all things are pretty much equal but you get more free sounds / synths with Logic then I'll be heading that route.

Er, not exactly no. As others have already said, Logic costs considerably more, but yes, it does come with more bundled sounds/synths than Reaper.

For me, this is the clincher to go with Reaper - lay out a lot less money initially, but then choose what synths/plug-ins I actually want to make my own music, rather than using exactly what every other Logic user does :headbang:

Also, while Reaper doesn't go overboard on its bundled plug-ins, they are actually amazingly useful (despite their singular lack of fancy interfaces), and I've lost count of the number of times I've thought of buying a specific type of plug-in for a project only to discover that Reaper has already supplied one that works incredibly well 8-)

Martin

I should have mentioned I have actually have Alchemy already and love it, so an expanded version which is no longer available on PC would be awesome. I also have Omnisphere and Sylenth so wouldn't really be reliant on Logic's bundled ones however the more stuff that comes with it the better I say!

Someone mentioned a lack of a trial option and this is actually pretty key I hadn't thought of that to be fair, would have been great to try it for a week before deciding actually :madas:

I will migrating plugs over like Fabfilter for example
TheLegit
Poster

Postby TheLegit » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:58 pm

desmond wrote:
Freelance Subversive wrote:One problem I find with Logic is the lack of a trial option

You can alway trundle into into Apple Store, Logic is pre-installed on all the Macs by default, if you've no other option...

Bu yes, GB *is* Logic-Lite, it's just that Logic has a lot more stuff (and by default, Logic usually has the advanced tools turned off so even *looks* like GB to begin with, to welcome newcomers...)

Annoyingly my local store didn't have Logic on any of their Macs!
TheLegit
Poster

Postby Freelance Subversive » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:18 pm

desmond wrote:You can alway trundle into into Apple Store, Logic is pre-installed on all the Macs by default, if you've no other option...

Tried that a few years ago, before deciding whether to finally upgrade from pro 7 or plump for something else — couldn't find a computer with it available. If it's installed by default on demo models, John Lewis or PC World concessions ought to be an option too. Still, I'd argue that isn't enough to properly inform such a decision.

desmond wrote:Bu yes, GB *is* Logic-Lite, it's just that Logic has a lot more stuff (and by default, Logic usually has the advanced tools turned off so even *looks* like GB to begin with, to welcome newcomers...)

Just had a look at v. 10 of GB and was of course completely wrong about how closely it resembles Logic X; nonetheless, it's only of benefit if one already owns a Mac.
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Freelance Subversive wrote:Tried that a few years ago, before deciding whether to finally upgrade from pro 7 or plump for something else — couldn't find a computer with it available. If it's installed by default on demo models, John Lewis or PC World concessions ought to be an option too. Still, I'd argue that isn't enough to properly inform such a decision.

It's part of the standard demo install for Apple Stores yes, it's alway been there in every Apple Store I've tried, but that's only about five stores... I'm sure you could ask one of the store staff if necessary.

This doesn't apply to non-Apple stores, which obviously don't have licenses for Logic, Final Cut Pro etc and will just have a standard OS install on them.

desmond wrote:Bu yes, GB *is* Logic-Lite, it's just that Logic has a lot more stuff (and by default, Logic usually has the advanced tools turned off so even *looks* like GB to begin with, to welcome newcomers...)

Freelance Subversive wrote:Just had a look at v. 10 of GB and was of course completely wrong about how closely it resembles Logic X; nonetheless, it's only of benefit if one already owns a Mac.

Sure, but then a downloadable trial is similarly useless if you don't have a Mac to try it on anyway...?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Freelance Subversive » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:57 am

desmond wrote:It's part of the standard demo install for Apple Stores yes, it's alway been there in every Apple Store I've tried, but that's only about five stores... I'm sure you could ask one of the store staff if necessary.

Neither the Regent St. nor Covent Garden shops appeared to have it installed and I couldn't find somebody who knew why. They may or may not have been aberrations, but I haven't been back to find out. It's moot now, as it made more sense to upgrade LP, rather than look elsewhere.

desmond wrote:Sure, but then a downloadable trial is similarly useless if you don't have a Mac to try it on anyway...?

Resisting a pun…

Apple already offer 14 to 28-day no-quibble returns on machines. Anybody changing platform with the intention of adopting Apple's pro apps, under the circumstances, might find an accompanying software trial invaluable; should either computer/app or both not be to their taste, they'd have the option. Of course, GB is available in this situation, but may not offer enough of an impression to a serious user. There are likely plenty of prospective LP/FC users reluctant to take the risk given the potential losses involved.
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:02 am

I'm not making it up. :headbang:

A few weeks back I was checking out the touch bar MBP for the first time, and one of the first things I did was run Logic to see how it used the touch bar.

This was either Covent Garden or Bluewater, been in both recently (my first time in the Covent Garden store, and the Bluewater store has recently re-opened, after being closed for a refurb for some months.)

I pretty much always use Logic (and FCPX) as a performance reference when I'm checking out Mac hardware in the stores...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:55 am

As good as they are, I’ve never been keen on reaper ‘s plain interface. Not for aesthetical reasons, but I like controls to look different so that I don’t need to concentrate to click the right one, and the all samey slide bars don’t do it for me.

From what I’ve seen logic plugs are better that way
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Freelance Subversive » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:49 am

For what it's worth, I dislike intensely the excessively dark interface of LP X — too much of a strain — and would be very grateful for something official, similar to REAPER's re-skinning.

desmond wrote:I'm not making it up. :headbang:

A few weeks back I was checking out the touch bar MBP for the first time, and one of the first things I did was run Logic to see how it used the touch bar.

This was either Covent Garden or Bluewater, been in both recently (my first time in the Covent Garden store, and the Bluewater store has recently re-opened, after being closed for a refurb for some months.)

I pretty much always use Logic (and FCPX) as a performance reference when I'm checking out Mac hardware in the stores...

I'm not doubting you. For a number of reasons, I haven't been to an Apple shop for 3 or 4 years, but when I went to purchase a new computer and demo Logic, aberration or not it wasn't installed. When asked, several staff didn't know why it wasn't there (for that matter, neither was FCPX) and with a shrug said I'd just have to buy it.
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Postby varunbkk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:06 am

Yup, Logic is used by many professionals, besides Reaper.

As already stated, the big advantage of Logic is the price ($199 on App Store)
and the huge library of samples and virtual instruments that come bundled with it.

With version 10.4, it has truly matured into a comprehensive music production package.
The new Chroma Verb is lush and the Neve, Pultec & API emulations sound excellent.
varunbkk
Poster

Next