You are here

Which DAW do you use?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Which DAW do you use?

Postby audio_jungle » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Which Digital Audio Workstation do you use and why?

I am particularly interested in anyone doing podcasts and/or audio journalism.

Thanks,

Audio Jungle
audio_jungle
Regular

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Logic.

It’s the first DAW I started to use back in the mid 1990’s and I haven’t seen reason to change.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:05 pm

Reaper, I used a dodgy version of Cubase back in my impoverished days. Then I spent a few years using hardware before I got a Mac and went back, partly at least, in the box. I chose Reaper as I was, effectively, starting from scratch, it was well regarded on these pages and partly because buying a licence was not a 'second mortgage' event.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dave B » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:35 am

My primary DAW is Logic. I used to be a long time Cubase user, but switched as I wasn't happy with the company - product is fine, just certain attitudes jarred with my sensibilities. Logic is what it is and has many handy features for dealing with writing and mixing.

My secondary DAW is Harrison Mixbus and I'd be tempted to steer you towards that. It is quite simple to use and isn't cluttered with lots of things that you will probably never use. And the sound of the Harrison eq / dynamics is very good. They regularly have price reductions, so I'd keep an eye out for these and get it at a bargain price. It's well worth it.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 am

Sonar user here.

Been with it since Cakewalk Pro Audio days. (1997 ish)

Did a test on most of the current DAWs a couple of years ago and decided to stick due to:-
a/ I found it easiest to integrate my hardware synths.
b/ I didn't want the hassle of learning a new DAW

Sonar was bought by Bandlab and is now free !
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Brian M Rose » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:37 am

Just to be 'different' Adobe Audition.
It seems to be aimed squarely at film/TV/Radio post production, rather than music.
It's very powerful and has some excellent noise reduction facilities etc
It's quite easy to use, very intuitive and therefore fast.
I use it for producing radio interviews, speech podcasts etc.
The downside is that it's rather expensive - especially as it's now subscription only,
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby John Willett » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Sequoia (the pro version of Samplitude).

Why - because of non-destructive object based editing, 4-point editing, the ability to change edit slopes to many different styles to get the perfect edit, the ability to copy/paste for easy correction of a mistake, the ability to make a DDP directly in the software, the ability to burn a CD directly from the program, the ability to add CD text, the ability to include ISRC does, etc., etc...
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Ariosto » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:33 pm

audio_jungle wrote:Which Digital Audio Workstation do you use and why?

Thanks,

Audio Jungle
I think many, if not all DAW's, would work well. I do audiobooks and use Reaper, which is pretty cheap, and works well for music and speech. But there are many more critical issues apart from a DAW which need to be addressed such as room acoustics (room treatment), mic and pre-amp used, and mic technique as well as good editing skills. You need a very low noise floor for good spoken voice recordings. (i.e. signal to noise ratio). Using a LUFs meter is pretty important too, otherwise work may be rejected.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby John Egan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks,

Audio Jungle

I switched to Reason from Sonar around 10 years ago and have stuck with it ever since, but mainly for my own Blues/ Country/ Rock/ Pop songs.

Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:17 pm

John Willett wrote:Sequoia (the pro version of Samplitude).

Why - because of non-destructive object based editing, 4-point editing, the ability to change edit slopes to many different styles to get the perfect edit, the ability to copy/paste for easy correction of a mistake, the ability to make a DDP directly in the software, the ability to burn a CD directly from the program, the ability to add CD text, the ability to include ISRC does, etc., etc...

I use SADiE 6 for exactly the same reasons... but I also use Reaper quite a lot for bigger multitrack and MIDI jobs, and both Adobe Audition and iZotope's RX6 for little top & tail and file-tweaking jobs.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby desmond » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Broadly speaking, it doesn't matter which you use, they all do more or less the same things and only differ in details.

For what you want to do, podcast editing, recording, and polish, they are all pretty much equally sufficient and capable.

Pretty much all the Mac-based podcasters I know use Logic for podcast editing and output, but it's an Apple product so it's in some ways an solid, easy reliable choice (if you're not into the audio world), it's not expensive and contains everything most people need (unless you want to invest in something like iZotope RX for cleanup - which again, a lot of these people do.)

Podcast recording is more of a random grab bag, depending on need. Some podcasts are literally one or two guys in a room, in which case an audio interface and some software recorder or DAW is all you need. Those requirements get more complex when you start to have multiple people, local and remote, you're recording multiple mics locally, and you're recording from multiple apps, all to separate files and a backup recording of everything, and incorporating double-ended recording when podcast guests are also recording their own ends locally and sending the files afterwards, and you're feeding in audio clips from a sound board app, and/or other sources like YouTube, and whether you're also doing a video feed with switchers etc etc. The complexity rises with more complex needs, as you'd expect.

Personally for recording audio feeds from apps, I've used (and swear by) Audio Hijack and have used it forever, although virtual audio devices such as Soundflower (and Loopback) will also work, at the expense of being more complicated and fiddly to set up, but potentially more powerful if your needs are complex. Loopback is really designed for handling in-computer routing in relation to podcast recording, so should handle a lot of this stuff.

So what DAW do *I* use? I'm not sure why you want to know or why it matters, but if you hang out here and get to know us, you'll have those questions answered... ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:15 pm

What is this "DAW" of which thou speakest? :lol:

As I've said elsewhere I don't use such a thing, but the musicians equivalent of the HiFi audio separates - i.e. several quite separate bits all linked (both audio and MIDI) with the Jack Audio Connection Kit.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby James Perrett » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:41 pm

I started off with SAW (Software Audio Workshop) many years ago which was very idiosyncratic but amazing for what you could do on a 40MHz 386 computer. I later moved to Cool Edit Pro which was bought out by Adobe and renamed Adobe Audition. Audition went through a bit of a bad patch when they brought out version 2 which coincided with Reaper's ascendancy so I moved over to Reaper for multitrack work but still use an old copy of Audition for some things. I've also recently bought Izotope's RX which is useful for noise reduction and a few other editing functions but isn't a full DAW.

I also used Voyetra's Digital Orchestrator mainly for MIDI as I was a Sequencer Plus user for many years before DAW's arrived. I don't think anything has quite lived up to Sequencer Plus's legendary reliability (it never misbehaved in around 6 years of professional studio use) although Reaper has come closest (I had it crash in the past but I can't remember the last time it did).

I've tried a few others like Cakewalk (not compatible with my mixing desk) and Traktion (too different from anything else - I could never remember how to use it). I also bought Cubase in its very early days on the PC and found it very unreliable (and the company were arrogant and unhelpful).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby MarkOne » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:00 am

Another Logic user here.

Started off with Steinberg Pro24 on an Atari (Well I actually STARTED by saving up and clubbing together with other band members when we could afford it and going to a studio that had 8 track tape and an ex-BBC console - because well, computers weren't something ordinary people had then! 8-) )

Later when I had my first PC I got an early version of Logic back in the E-Magic days (This was before it had audio capability!)

A friend at the time got me using Cubase around the Cubase SX days, which I stuck with for a number of years, but found myself using a mac for work and got one for home use, so jumped back onto Logic (which was like finding an old friend) Been on Logic ever since.

I'm also using DSP Quatro, for mastering and CD authoring but I really have never got properly to grips with its workflow...

Interesting isn't it that nobody around here is using protools. - When so many of the interviews/articles in SOS feature producers using that. (I've been tempted to look at it a couple of times, but think I'm now too entrenched in my Logic workflow to change)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby The Elf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:15 am

Cubase user here. I'm lightning fast with it due to my familiarity - there's little point in me trying to become as familiar with any other DAW at this stage, though I often use Pro Tools (which I loathe) and Reaper (which I like a lot, but don't find as simple).

Big advantages of Cubase to me are VariAudio, which is Cubase's integrated pitch/timing editor, and the slickly powerful MIDI/audio editing features. The bussing and routing are pretty much top notch.

The bottom line is that pretty much all DAWs will get the job done in one way or another. After that it's just down to platform and personal preference.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:11 am

I do mainly music and use PreSonus Studio One Professional (on Mac) for mixing and composition. I also own Logic Pro X and keep it up-to-date, but S1 is my DAW of choice. Excellent mixing tools, native Virtual Instruments and Plug-ins, and the Pro version offers Project (its mastering screen for compiling songs/audio files) and its song composition tools (Arranger, Scratch Pad) are very fast and intuitive to use.

I also dabble in GarageBand, which comes free with every Mac. It's got a Podcasting template, and if you own a Mac is ideal to get you started. If it's of interest, take a watch of this YouTube podcasting tutorial -- which also puts across the typical scenario of how to build a podcast and would apply even if you use a PC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcUBZHOljzU
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,216 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:15 pm

The Elf wrote:The bottom line is that pretty much all DAWs will get the job done in one way or another. After that it's just down to platform and personal preference.

I agree. I'm also a Cubase user and have been since at least the launch of VST in the late 90s. I upgraded as far as SX but dropped off the upgrade path at Cubase 4.0 re-joining at 8.0. I got a free upgrade to 8.5 and I don't expect to upgrade again in the near future.

My abilities are definitely the limiting factor, not the DAW.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:41 pm

Music Wolf wrote:My abilities are definitely the limiting factor, not the DAW.
This applies for me too but with Reaper rather than Cubase.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Alba » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:54 pm

Reaper 2.58. Does everything we need and never crashes.
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby mrdavedog » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:28 pm

Another Studio One user here, though I use Pro Tools and Logic when asked to.

If you're just doing podcasting you probably don't need anything too heavy. Audacity which is cross platform, free and open source would probably have anything you need. I use it too when I'm just doing some quick editing.

-Dave
mrdavedog

Next