You are here

X32 foh and Bus eq.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

X32 foh and Bus eq.

Postby themix » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:42 am

Anyone tell me

How to set Eq on the x32 to be independently adjusted ie : foh not adjusting monitor mix eq
themix

Re: X32 foh and Bus eq.

Postby molecular » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Use the graphics in the effects rack. If you initialize the console it will start you off with dual graphics in slot FX 5, 6, 7 to send the monitor mixes through, and a stereo graphic in slot 8 to use on FOH.

In the effects screen you need to select Mix LR as the bus that the EQ is used for, but you also need to activate it as an insert.

Probably need more info to help more than that. I didn't think it would be possible to have the same EQ affect both the main mix and the monitor outs, so I'm wondering if you've done something else unusual along the way...

What's the exact problem you are having?
molecular
Frequent Poster
Location: The turn off where the main road goes over the river. If you're at the post box you've gone too far.
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Are you are referring to the channel eq? It is a single instance of eq so can only process a single signal. If you want to send a signal to FOH and monitors with different eq it is possible by assigning an input to two channels, send one of them to FOH and the other to monitors. Bear in mind that the X32 can process 32 full channels and 8 'line' channels, using this method will use up two channels for each split input. Obviously, as molecular has said you can use insert eq but with only 8 available that limits you to four stereo or eight mono processors (or a max but that's assuming you don't need the fx slots elsewhere).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby molecular » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:16 pm

Oh I see, yes. How to EQ one instrument differently on it's way to each output.

Agreed, you'd need to reassign a whole other channel to it one way or another, and then use one only for FOH and one only for the monitor.

I doubt any desk offers that as a go-to thing as on a 32 channel desk that would result in, I think, 512 separate instances of EQ between those channels and the 16 busses. That's a week long sound check!

I guess my feeling would be that if I had set up the Graphics on the FOH and mons well then if a musician was asking for eq changes to their individual instrument, they ought to know what it should sound like and those changes should apply across the board.

But maybe there's something more specific you're trying to achieve?
molecular
Frequent Poster
Location: The turn off where the main road goes over the river. If you're at the post box you've gone too far.

Postby ore_terra » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:30 am

but with the graphic EQ on the FOH (or the bus) we wont be EQ'ing the individual track but the whole mix.

is it not the same to just the built in EQ in the monitor bus, and the built in EQ for the FOH bus?
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby molecular » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:55 pm

ore_terra wrote:but with the graphic EQ on the FOH (or the bus) we wont be EQ'ing the individual track but the whole mix.

Yes. I originally misunderstood the question and thought he had somehow applied the same overall EQ to each mix :/

ore_terra wrote:is it not the same to just the built in EQ in the monitor bus, and the built in EQ for the FOH bus?

Well, both are just EQing the whole mix, but the graphic is more suited to the job in a live situation when you might just want to make a series of notches - also the parametric EQ only has 4 bands I think.
molecular
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:28 pm

The OP hasn't being back but, for the benefit of anybody who finds the thread later, the graphic eq's on FOH and monitors are to tailor the specific speaker rigs both to the room and their specific task, the channel eq is for making each instrument sound good. If, as molecular suggests, a musician is asking for a different sound it should, if monitors and FOH are set up correctly, apply to both (I would want, ideally, to hear my 'sound' in my monitors just as it sounded in the FOH). It doesn't usually happen as the requirements of FOH and monitors are so different though......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........