You are here

A lesson learned

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

A lesson learned

Postby redlester » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Just a short tale which could save the unaware some time in future...

Be very careful about putting any VST effects on your Master Bus. I spent about an hour and a half yesterday wondering why I had quite severe audible latency, which I don't normally have at all, and why I couldn't eliminate the problem no matter what buffer settings I tried. I was getting particularly worried as I've just spent a lot on upgrading to a UA Apollo 8 thunderbolt interface, so the last thing I was expecting was latency issues.

Turned out I had, in a previous session, slapped iZotope Ozone on the Master Bus in my DAW. As soon as I removed it I was back to no audible latency.

Doh!!
redlester
Regular

Re: A lesson learned

Postby desmond » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:08 pm

I don't know what DAW you're using, but in Logic at least, there is a "low latency mode" button you can put on your transport, the sole function of this is to temporarily bypass any plugins that report more than a desired amount of latency.

So in cases where you have large latency-inducing plugins on busses and outputs (which will always shift the entire audio path later to compensate), hitting low latency mode will bypass the worst offenders (without you having to know which ones, and where they are), so you can record some new tracks, and then disable low latency mode again to be back where you were...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby redlester » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:26 pm

It’s Ableton Live 10 and I believe it does have that feature. What was confusing me was I had never had to bother using it because I’d never had a problem before.

Perhaps Ozone is a particularly bad offender in this respect, although I realise it’s meant for use in mastering, where obviously latency isn’t a worry.
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:31 pm

Some of the newer limiter algorithms in more recent versions of Ozone are heavily latency-inducing, so perhaps you were using those..?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:32 pm

redlester wrote:Perhaps Ozone is a particularly bad offender in this respect, although I realise it’s meant for use in mastering, where obviously latency isn’t a worry.

Anything with linear-phase EQ or lookahead will do this. Lots of convolution-based things as well, including Acustica Audio stuff (unless you use their ZL versions which eat even more CPU). While hitting buttons to disable things can work, the best answer is to keep anything that adds latency well out of the way of your busses or monitoring chain until after you've finished doing the things that require low-latency operation (eg playing virtual instruments via keyboards/v-drums etc). And certainly to keep them off your project templates, since you tend to forget that you have them in there!
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby DC-Choppah » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:53 am

Any plugin that is meant for mixing or mastering shouldn't be used when recording. They assume that latency doesn't matter when mixing and mastering so they can take all the time they want and you can set a really large, maximum buffer size too.

These high end plugs are NOT equivalent to hardware since they have so much latency, you can only use them for mixdown or mastering, not in real time processing. This is why high end outboard gear is still relevant. You can push signals through a real Massive Passive and the sound will come out instantly. Meanwhile the plugin is great for mixing, but you can't track through it. All the high end stuff is like that. It is totally NOT hardware equivalent. It may sound the same, but after a huge time delay. So it is totally not the same thing.

What if you spent $1000 on a used Massive Passive and I told you you couldn't track through it, you can only mix through it. You'd ask for your money back.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster