You are here

Most unlikely monitor speakers...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Most unlikely monitor speakers...

Postby KJF » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:16 pm

I saw a video on YouTube this week, the mixer Bob Horn being interviewed. As you can imagine his studio had some lovely kit - not least his selection of monitors. However, next to the $100,000 pair sat a little Marshall bluetooth speaker/ amp that he also uses to check his mixes. It got me wondering (yes...it happens) what unlikely kit have some of you used to get a great mix that translated across the board?

I must confess, I have a vested interested in your replies as I need some monitors but don't want to shell out a small fortune. I also like the idea of using something a little, er, 'left field'. I remember reading an interview with Dave Stewart back in the day and he said he mixed a lot of the Eurythmics stuff on an old ghetto blaster. Not sure how much of it we heard on the radio but it makes you wonder...

Thanks in advance...
KJF
Regular

Re: Most unlikely monitor speakers...

Postby The Korff » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Listening to mixes in the car is common... I also happen to know that Jon Burton (SOS author and FOH engineer for the Prodigy) uses a Minirig for 'grot-box' checking. (Minirigs are also great for recreational kitchen/BBQ/picnic listening; they're quite pricey but they're bombproof and the company are great on things like repairs etc).

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:34 pm

KJF wrote:I must confess, I have a vested interested in your replies as I need some monitors but don't want to shell out a small fortune. I also like the idea of using something a little, er, 'left field'.

There are fundamental and critical differences between a monitor speaker and a check speaker. They are not interchangeable; they complement each other.

A monitor speaker provides a level of clarity and transparency (and, ideally, bandwidth) that allows you to hear accurately what is needed when recording or constructing a mix: for example, the details such as perspective, tonal balance, and stereo imaging when working on mic placement, or precisely what you are doing when processing a signal with EQ, dynamic control, effects etc.

A check speaker provides additional information as to how an already processed and constructed mix is likely to translate to less capable music reproduction systems.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:20 pm

I use the aux in on my Yamaha THX10 as my check speaker, coupled with a mono button on my control surface. But as Hugh says, you wouldn't want to try and mix properly on it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby BillB » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:46 pm

This has been a popular topic on the Forum over the years - for example:

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 15&t=61223
BillB
Regular

Postby KJF » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:28 pm

The Korff wrote: but they're bombproof and the company are great on things like repairs etc.

Thanks for that. Never heard of them but Google is my friend. BTW are their repairs 'bombproof' too :D :D :D
KJF
Regular

Postby Brian M Rose » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:51 pm

OTOH, I use Beyer DT150s when working on voice-overs. They are very 'good' at picking up low frequencies such as traffic noise outside the studio.
But the funny thing is that most of the time, there's nothing to hear either on Tannoy Reveal 501a's in the Edit Suite, or on my Spendor BC1's in the living room. I pretty well only do voice recordings but yes, I also play recordings in the car as well.
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby CS70 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:28 am

I have occasionally used this as a check speaker :-)

CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:37 pm

Whatever works for you CS70! :bouncy:

If listening through this little beauty makes your mixes more transportable, then it's done its job :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby My Own Silence » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:42 am

I use a small BOSE Bluetooth speaker - wasn't that cheap, 150 quid, but I know what it should sound like coming out of it and I also like listening to stuff on it generally. I think anything like that that you listen to regularly can help.
My Own Silence
Regular

Postby ore_terra » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:46 am

I think there was a topic about 'grotboxes' a few months ago?
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:47 am

Cheap and good B&W DM600 S3 if used with a decent amp and a couple of subs to give them a bottom end.

Forget the rest from B&W, it's all woolly and has very poor impulse responses, but those little DM600 S3 are spot-on if you plug the reflex opening.

And you can pick them up for very little money!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)