You are here

Ableton vs. Pro Tools

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Ableton vs. Pro Tools

Postby earthh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi
I'm just before a huge dilemma and a complete newbie
I'm going to create sounds and record vocals to it
I've read that Pro Tools is more intuitive with mixing etc but oh Ableton... Such a creative space
What should I choose?:)
earthh

Re: Ableton vs. Pro Tools

Postby molecular » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:21 pm

I use both (Ableton less often) and they are completely different things, to my mind. You are asking whether you should buy a hammer or a saw.

If you are mostly recording instruments and vocals and just need to edit and mix your performances, I would suggest PT (or Logic, or Reaper). Ableton is capable of that, but is really much more powerful as a composition and arrangement tool. For certain kinds of music it excels and for other kinds it is simply the wrong software.

In short, you need to demo both to find out which is the right thing for what you want to do.
molecular
Frequent Poster
Location: The turn off where the main road goes over the river. If you're at the post box you've gone too far.
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Postby earthh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:16 pm

Well Ableton is good for creating and Pro Tools is good for mixing and better for recording vocals

And I'm going to do both of these things ( creating and also recording and mixing )

so that's why I'm all confused : )
earthh

Postby Agharta » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:39 pm

earthh wrote:Well Ableton is good for creating and Pro Tools is good for mixing and better for recording vocals
And I'm going to do both of these things ( creating and also recording and mixing )
so that's why I'm all confused : )
You are quoting one set of opinions and others will disagree which is why it's best to try for yourself.
A lot will depend on the genre and complexity of what you are doing also.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby resistorman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:23 pm

Agree with the others... try it out. And... you know what they say about opinions, but here’s mine. I’d try Reaper over Pro Tools. Much more powerful and cost effective... and it has a future.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby molecular » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:25 pm

I think resistorman makes a good point. I'm a big fan of PT, but if you love the way that you can create in Ableton, then spend your money there and get used to Reaper for occasional recording and editing. Reaper is a great alternative to Pro Tools for those jobs, but there is no real cheap alternative option to Ableton, as far as I know.
molecular
Frequent Poster
Location: The turn off where the main road goes over the river. If you're at the post box you've gone too far.
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Postby jfolino » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:16 am

If you want to mix, especially vocals, you would do well to use Pro Tools. It is the industry standard hands down for mixing audio. If you really want to mix, Pro Tools is it. Mixing with Ableton is cumbersome at best.

For your instrument tracks, it depends on your music. If you want to make EDM for example, I would go for Ableton. It’s great for midi and automation. If you are keeping it simple, you can get away with just Pro Tools but plan on buying some plugins.

Another option is to go with Logic X. It has decent mixing and midi capabilities and is cheaper than either.

If you can, I recommend making your music with Ableton and then mixing in Pro Tools.

Please visit www.jimfolino.com

Thanks,
Jim
jfolino

Postby My Own Silence » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:14 am

Here is my take.

I've used both, but I have also used Logic and quite a few other DAWs. If you want a good all-round DAW I would choose Logic, but this is dependant on having a Mac. I used Ableton but found the mixing side to be difficult. It works and is very good. Ableton has a slightly more geeky creative feel to it, lots of call plugins and instruments. Logic is more of a producers/musicians tool in terms of all round creativity.

Here's how I would choose.

Pro Tools - great for tracking bands, editing audio and working with audio. Midi is not bad but not as nice to work with.

Ableton - Great for creativity specially with EDM. Not as easy for audio and editing, but competent enough. If you make beats it's very cool. A good combo would be to own both PT and Ableton. However I feel Logic does bridge this gap.

Logic - Good for creativity and more pop-rock style production all the way to more classical arranging. Also very good for mixing. A more classical approach compaired to Ableton which you might prefer. I also like the way it looks. More seasoned users might disagree though as it has gone through many changes.

Cubase - Very good with Midi. It's been a long time since I've used it, but probably shares quite a few things with Logic as the 2 grew closely together for many years.

Reaper - excellent value for money, very tweak able. I found it too tweak able but don't let that put you of. Easy to try and learn as it's evaluation is very generous. it might be all you need!

If having that control is all to much, maybe look at FL-Studio. Yes it's not a typical DAW in so much that the others fall into, but some prefer it for just creating.

Budget, musical styles, computer make and requirements can dictate which one you go for. If you have a feeling that you will work with live sound much I would look away from Ableton but if you think that just a bit of audio tracking is all you need it might hit the spot perfectly. There is a lite version of Ableton to try.

You may find yourself trying a few before you settle on a workflow. This ifs fine and normal and a healthy excersise. You can also sell on an Ableton License if you find you don't need it.
My Own Silence
Regular

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:40 am

resistorman wrote:Agree with the others... try it out. And... you know what they say about opinions, but here’s mine. I’d try Reaper over Pro Tools. Much more powerful and cost effective... and it has a future.

/snark! I abandoned PT years ago. Horrid company.

BUT, my view is learn how to use every tool available, it's not an either or question.
Watchmaker
Regular
"one feels most reassured hearing an expert's opinions on the matter..."

Postby bill555 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:32 pm

to each their own but IMO PT is one of the most overpriced, overrated, user-UNfriendliest apps ever (as is the company); it is for masochists only. PS I think this "industry standard" claim is one of the most pervasive myths ever. I've yet to see anything that backs this up, only people parroting something they heard elsewhere.

/rant :) back to the OP, your question is rather vague but I would offhand suggest Reaper. very inexpensive, free to try, and very easy and friendly to use.
bill555
Regular