You are here

Soundbed basics

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Soundbed basics

Postby audio_jungle » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Not sure where to ask this...

I am setting up an IVR system, and I was thinking of recording my voice over some soft background music.

I think that is called a "soundbed"?

My question is whether you have any basic tips on how to do this and get good results.

For instance, if my IVR starts off with, "Thank you for calling the ACME company. For Sales press 1..."

Would it be better to have maybe 1 second of prelim msuic and then cut it off to the voiceover?

Or I was thinking of just having a soundbed playing in the background during the entire IVR prompt.

Of course all of this is subjective, but I just want to get something set up quickly to feel like I have made some progress. (I'm sure there are books out there on this.)

Also wondering about volume level of the music and my voice and how to get good results.

I think I have learned enough here so far with Loopback and Audacity to be semi dangerous with multiple channles/tracks, and so I figured this might be a fun proof-of-concept, plus I can show off to some people at work! :D

Thanks,

Audio Jungle
audio_jungle
Regular

Re: Soundbed basics

Postby blinddrew » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:58 am

I find, when putting backing music on videos, that it's best to let it run throughout, but heavily attenuated when the speaking starts. 18dB is a rough starting point for me but it will all depend on the job in question.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Soundbed basics

Postby CJmastering » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:06 pm

Would it be better to have maybe 1 second of prelim msuic and then cut it off to the voiceover?

Or I was thinking of just having a soundbed playing in the background during the entire IVR prompt.
The best way is the way that you like it the best. Try both and see what you like. The options you can do are countless when it comes to the levels of both how long you want the music before the voice starts and ends.
It also depends on the cadence of the vocals and how long you want it to be.
Its like asking someone else what flavor of ice cream do I like
CJmastering
Poster
Online Audio Mixing and Mastering - Pro Online Mixing & Mastering, TV Commercials & Audio books

Audio Mixing Tips