You are here

Spoken word mp3 download loudness for iTunes

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Spoken word mp3 download loudness for iTunes

Postby forumuser653351 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:54 am

Hello
I am producing a series of spoken word recordings for a yoga teacher. They will be mp3 downloads on her website and I imagine most people will play them in iTunes (or some sort of mp3 player).
Q1) When mastering what loudness should I be aiming for?
Q2) When converting to mp3s are there any considerations to take into account for people listening on iTunes (or mp3 players in general)?
Many thanks for your comments and help :)
forumuser653351
Poster

Re: Spoken word mp3 download loudness for iTunes

Postby CJmastering » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Loudness in what measurement? There are many measurements that are used. (LUFS, RMS)
Q2) When converting to mp3s are there any considerations to take into account for people listening on iTunes (or mp3 players in general)?
You are producing them, so let the mastering engineer handle all that. when its mastered correctly, it will translate well on all playback systems

Cj
CJmastering
Poster
Online Audio Mixing and Mastering - Pro Online Mixing & Mastering, TV Commercials & Audio books

Audio Mixing Tips

Postby James Perrett » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:49 pm

CJmastering wrote:
Loudness in what measurement? There are many measurements that are used. (LUFS, RMS)
Cj

If we're talking LUFS what level would you aim for when mastering this sort of material? Would you go for the same sort of level used for music or lower?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CJmastering » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:36 pm

If we're talking LUFS what level would you aim for when mastering this sort of material? Would you go for the same sort of level used for music or lower?
I would go with the same LUFS as the music you hear that is mastered. But you need to make sure your short term peaks and long term peaks are good also, and not only rely on the meters.
Your ears are needed to gauge the loudness also. 2 different songs with the same levels can be louder than one another.
Its a lot of things to take into account, That;s why its not as easy as dealing with just looking at one level.
CJmastering
Poster
Online Audio Mixing and Mastering - Pro Online Mixing & Mastering, TV Commercials & Audio books

Audio Mixing Tips

Postby forumuser653351 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:11 am

Thank for your replies, it's greatly appreciated. I shall be mastering as well, so I'll need to do a bit more home work.
forumuser653351
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:15 am

Your best bet is to ask your client for reference tracks -- the kind of thing he/she expects it to sound like -- and then measure the true peak and integrated loudness of those to serve as a guide for your own mastering efforts.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby forumuser653351 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Your best bet is to ask your client for reference tracks -- the kind of thing he/she expects it to sound like -- and then measure the true peak and integrated loudness of those to serve as a guide for your own mastering efforts.

H

Great advice, many thanks :)
forumuser653351
Poster