You are here

Gullfoss vs. Intensity?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Gullfoss vs. Intensity?

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:11 pm

This is one of those how can you compare apples and oranges questions, although it might lean a bit towards comparing almost similar products.
I'm asking because even if I download and install the demos that at my advanced age I have some high frequency hearing loss so I would appreciate the thoughts of someone who may have a greater range than I.

Paul White's reviews of both products in these pages are very thorough. It sounds like both of these products would help my mixes in a good way, either placed on the master buss or individual instruments. He suggests at the end of the more recent Intensity review that Gullfoss doesn't quite do as much.
If anybody else has experience with any of these plugins I would love to hear any comments, especially if you have had the chance to compare them.

Personally I'm trying to avoid anything ilok- yes I know it's better than before but in my experience things sometimes stop working or crash only when a producer comes over for a playback! Been there a few times.
Thanks for all thoughts!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Re: Gullfoss vs. Intensity?

Postby molecular » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:54 pm

This is based on only 20 mins mucking about with both, as I saw your post and wanted to muck about with something! And just on one track I am doing a quick pseudomaster on, but with those caveats:

My gut reaction is that I would take Gulfoss home out of the two demos. They are definitely doing very different things, so as you say they are apples and oranges. But as all-round "improvers" I found Intensity to be always forcing the aggressiveness of the sound, however I had it set up, and I didn't manage to get a result I liked. Gulfoss, on the other hand, I got to achieve a genuine "unveiling" of the mix, without any unwanted harshness or pushiness. Particularly by using the range limiters to keep it's effects to the mids. If you are worried about the high end, I would definitely say that Intensity would be more likely to get you into trouble without you realising, as it's more of a "one magic button" kind of deal, and there's nothing in the way of metering to help you figure out what's going on.

That's my two cents!
molecular
Frequent Poster
Location: The turn off where the main road goes over the river. If you're at the post box you've gone too far.
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Re: Gullfoss vs. Intensity?

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:16 pm

Thanks Molecular!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster