You are here

driving akg 712

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

driving akg 712

Postby paleface » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:26 pm

hello folks

ive just bought a pair of akg 712 from thoman

i currently have a focusrite 2in4

will the headphone amp on the focusrite be able to power the akg 712 ?

all answers appreciated
paleface
Regular

Re: driving akg 712

Postby Wonks » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:55 pm

I don't see why not. I've got AKG 712s and they were/are fine with my MOTU A/I, Samson C Control and my iPhone 4 and 6 headphone outputs.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby paleface » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:55 pm

thank u wonks

i had read some stuff claiming it would be underpowered
paleface
Regular

Postby Wonks » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 pm

I suppose it all depends on how loud you need them to be. Without trying them specifically on that interface it's always going to be some doubt, but I really don't foresee a problem unless you want them ear-damagingly loud.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Roelfie » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:08 pm

Hi paleface
I can’t really comment on your equipment. In my case, with audio from a Yamaha Synth.
I use a FiiO A3 - Portable Headphone Amplifier around (60 US$). It’s a great little product.
It made a huge difference in sound quality and volume levels. Of course, I’m careful with volume, and only listen at moderate levels, but will not do without this little amplifier.
Roelfie

Postby Ramirez » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:23 pm

I'm using the K712 witht he Focusrite 18i20 (1st generation) with no problems. Although I think the 2i4 might be USB bus-powered, so it might not have the same juice for the headphone amp?
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:39 am

Just to pick up on one bit of possible confusion :

Whilst I would baulk at the term 'underpowered', it is worth noting that most interface headphone amps are fine for a few years ago, but do need to be pushed a little when you are mixing with lots of headroom (as we do now). If someone could give us a tad more range, then I'd be a happy bunny. But that's far from being 'underpowered' - at least in my book.

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:24 am

Dave B wrote:Just to pick up on one bit of possible confusion :

Whilst I would baulk at the term 'underpowered', it is worth noting that most interface headphone amps are fine for a few years ago, but do need to be pushed a little when you are mixing with lots of headroom (as we do now). If someone could give us a tad more range, then I'd be a happy bunny. But that's far from being 'underpowered' - at least in my book.

This problem crops up quite often. A newcomer to PC audio just gets convinced that it is better to track at -18dBFS ish and then finds the AI headphone level is too low, especially if there is competition from other sounds.

As Dave says, it is not a lack of "power" in the headphone amp but lack of gain.

BTW I found the October article about headphones (Sam Inglis, Heads Up) MOST illuminating! Can I out in a request for similarly in depth article about the design philosophy of headphone amplifiers? There seems for instance to be two camps?
Those that are happy to drive headphones from a relatively high source resistance of 33 to 100 Ohms and those that say the amplifier must have a Z out close to zero.
Personally I can see little point to the latter concept and it makes the design more difficult.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:52 pm

ef37a wrote:
Dave B wrote:Just to pick up on one bit of possible confusion :

This problem crops up quite often. A newcomer to PC audio just gets convinced that it is better to track at -18dBFS ish and then finds the AI headphone level is too low, especially if there is competition from other sounds.

As Dave says, it is not a lack of "power" in the headphone amp but lack of gain.

I adopted the -18dBFS ish approach some years ago, but now slot in an Airwindows PurestGain plug-in on my master channel to bring everything up just before going to my A/D converters, so I don't have to run my headphone amps with such high gain settings.

www.airwindows.com/purestgain

A big plug for the Airwindows range by the way - if you're happy to dispense with fancy GUIs to concentrate on stunning audio quality and great user/developer feedback, look them up - I'm using more and more of them, and have starting supporting their developer Chris Johnson via Patreon donations.

Martin
Martin Walker