You are here

RME UFX mute on start up for 5-8 mins

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

RME UFX mute on start up for 5-8 mins

Postby hooty2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:40 am

Hi,
after a few years of trouble free audio...two days ago, UFX started being mute on start up, as in no audio output from phones 9/10 11/12 or stereo main outs...despite all meters showing audio present. (obviously did the usual checks and balances with cables/phones etc)
audio plays out of monitor speakers ok from the DAW (screen monitor to be clear) .
Absolutely (famous last words..!), nothing seems out of place...no mutes active no talkback no solos..
and
if i wait 5-8 minutes the audio appears again?
This morning, audio dropped out for 5 mins mid session.
anyone care to make a suggestion.
I'm worried in case it's a precursor to something bigger.
regards
hooty2
Regular

Re: RME UFX mute on start up for 5-8 mins

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Is it running on its internal clock, or synchronised to something else?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby hooty2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:43 pm

Hugh,
Clock source is ADAT .... in the drop down options (my recording is from ISA 828 Clock as adat source.
When ISA preamp is OFF next to the ADAT clock source in the box appears the words
CURRENT INTERNAL

I have always left the set up as ADAT 1 as clock source & operarted without issue when the ISApre is off.
does that help?
hooty2
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:02 pm

So does it do the same mute thing if you configure it to use its internal clock?

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby hooty2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:06 pm

Away from studio now.
Morning priority
Thanks
hooty2
Regular

Postby hooty2 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:35 am

RME admin on RME forum stated:
"sounds like a dying power supply"

You will know from my previous forum contributions, these things are one of the many areas in which my comfort zone is challenged to put it mildly!

a google search for RME UFX power supply suggested this:
https://www.thomann.de/fr/rme_cardbus_netzteil.htm

Is this correct or should i be sending the unit to a pro' service/repair?

This morning (to Hughs question)....the mute was active in both cases...clock source adat/internal and with adat source (isa828) on & off.
However, while juggling between the two without switching RME off and waiting a while...
the audio jumped back after 1 minute...coincidence...relevant?

Nb: if i switch on and await return of audible signal and then switch RMEUFX off...when switched on again straight away...the audio is present without mute?
hooty2
Regular

Postby hooty2 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:39 am

a 2 year itch!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... eeded.html

I'm not so sure about the power supply in the link above (prior post)

Anyone recommending a good repair place?
hooty2
Regular

Postby hooty2 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:44 am

bear with me please:
i'm thinking i could do this myself:

if i get one of these, with proper precautions, is it a diy fix?
https://www.synthax.co.uk/rme/rme-spare ... -10602-37/
hooty2
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am

It's got an internal power supply, so the external one won't work.

Looking at the replacement internal power supply, all the connections are plugs, so it should be an easy job to do. Take photos of the old power supply connections so that you know where the plug go and the correct orientation for them.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:25 am

The clocking thing was just to check whether it was trying to lock up to a flakey external clock... but it seems not.

So the next most likely reason is a failing PSU. I'd have a conversation with Synthax about it. It may be possible for you to swap out the PSU yourself -- I'm not sure how that particular model is put together -- or it may be that you'll need to return it to them for service.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby hooty2 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:28 am

Thanks to all.
Especially for putting up with my rolling updates as I got to grips with it.
Your help is massively appreciated and acknowledged.
hooty2
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:00 am

Synthax do state "We supply this as a spare part and do not take any responsibility for installation", so I'd assume that it is meant for a DIY repair.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby OneWorld » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Wonks wrote:Synthax do state "We supply this as a spare part and do not take any responsibility for installation", so I'd assume that it is meant for a DIY repair.

£69.00 for a power supply doesn't seem too bad, but a lot of course if that's not the source of the problem. I do not have any particular experience of swapping power supplies out but for the main part I have managed to do it, and even managed to adapt one, one for an EMU XL1, and saved myself something like £30.00 into the bargain.

If you end up doing the job, take a pic before removing the PSU, showing the wiring and I do a drawing as well, and if required, mark the cables/connectors, although it's difficult to connect sockets and plugs the wrong way round (if I walk up to a pull door I push it and if it's a push door I pull it, I'm sure I was born the wrong way around) it's always better to mark them
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:36 pm

hooty2 wrote:Hi,
after a few years of trouble free audio...two days ago, UFX started being mute on start up, as in no audio output from phones 9/10 11/12 or stereo main outs...despite all meters showing audio present. (obviously did the usual checks and balances with cables/phones etc)
audio plays out of monitor speakers ok from the DAW (screen monitor to be clear) .
Absolutely (famous last words..!), nothing seems out of place...no mutes active no talkback no solos..
and
if i wait 5-8 minutes the audio appears again?
This morning, audio dropped out for 5 mins mid session.
anyone care to make a suggestion.
I'm worried in case it's a precursor to something bigger.
regards

I doubt this might be the problem, but I have an RME FF800 and I all of a sudden had a similar problem, just appeared out of nowhere - I thought oh no, here we go, another £x I have to stump up. But the mains cable looked a bit tatty so I swapped it out and yahey! Fixed!

WHat I could not understand was how come sometimes it worked and others not, and how could it turn on yet be muted (unless a MB/Chip/Component fault), defies logic, but the new mains cable fixed it
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:59 pm

If you are thinking of replacing the power supply the first thing I would do is to measure the output voltages of the present supply. If you don't have a meter buy one of the cheap digital meters available all over the place for a fiver or less - they're good enough to measure the sort of voltages you'll find in your unit (though I wouldn't try measuring the mains or poking around in valve amps with one).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:21 pm

Personally I think the power supply is an unlikely culprit but of course I have no knowledge whatsoever how the circuitry works.

I can say that mute circuits have been a bother and a trial in my servicing life! All sorts of kit had them and had them fail. Cassette machines, hi fi amps even guitar amps. Usually a FET that dies or, the like scenario here, goes heat sensitive.

However, since both channels are muted it is unlikely that two FETs (or anny' switches) would fail at the same time, each time! That means a control device and I know of such a case in a git'amp where the control transistor jeeeust had too little gain at 19C but came alive at 21C! The fix was a small increase in collector current.

I would set things up and once audio is playing, attack the box with a hair dryer or Deck n Blacker gun ON COLD! If cooling it down cause the fault it is a control device problem. That may of course run right back to a main CPU?

In a workshop I would have the top off and get in with a can of freezer but I don't advise that to the uninitiated. I would also cycle it hot and cold.

Maybe first check for firmware upgrades?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:18 pm

OneWorld wrote:WHat I could not understand was how come sometimes it worked and others not, and how could it turn on yet be muted (unless a MB/Chip/Component fault), defies logic, but the new mains cable fixed it

A poor IEC connector might have caused arcing in the contacts, resulting in noisy power rails and corruption of the control processor... Or it could have had a poor earth connection.

It's always worth swapping out the IEC lead though, because it can sometimes be the problem and spares are usually readily available and quickly swappable!

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby hooty2 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:40 pm

update:
followed advice and precautions and replaced the power unit.
Straightforward even for me.
Unit works....problem persists.

Scouting now for service/repair options and further diagnostic.
main concern is unit going down big time especially as the season is nearly on us...a few important concerts on the horizon.
hooty2
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:44 am

Might be time to talk to the people at Synthax.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:48 am

James Perrett wrote:Might be time to talk to the people at Synthax.

Indeed. I just looked them up and Synthax are just past St Albans, not too bad a schlep for me (NN5 5**) but I can't see OP's 10/20?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Next