You are here

Getting from Multiple Tracks down to One Track

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Getting from Multiple Tracks down to One Track

Postby audio_jungle » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:55 pm

I am trying to create a introduction soundbite (?) for my IVR system, where I am speaking and have music playing in the background.

The problem is that my VoIP company is telling me that nay recordings I upload have to follow this format: Windows WAV, PCM 8kHz 16 bits Mono

(BTW, this seems like an *extremely* limiting format, but I guess that is how telephony and VoIP works...)

So I recorded my vocal track as a mono track. And then the music I am using was recorded as a stereo track.

In Audacity, I now have 3 tracks and things sound good and it is time to mix things down to create a file that I can upload to my VoIP account.

My question is whether I should first collapse the music track down to mono, and then collapse the vocal track and the mono music track down to mono, or if there is another sequence of events that is better? (Hope that makes sense?!)
audio_jungle
Regular

Re: Getting from Multiple Tracks down to One Track

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:15 pm

Just bounce down to mono on export, you don't need to worry about making the stems mono beforehand.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:03 pm

+1

All that matters is the format you choose for the final rendered mix output. What DAW are you using?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CJmastering » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:28 pm

The problem is that my VoIP company is telling me that nay recordings I upload have to follow this format: Windows WAV, PCM 8kHz 16 bits Mono

(BTW, this seems like an *extremely* limiting format, but I guess that is how telephony and VoIP works...)
My question is whether I should first collapse the music track down to mono, and then collapse the vocal track and the mono music track down to mono, or if there is another sequence of events that is better? (Hope that makes sense?!)
You need to remember that when you bounce it down to a mono track, that you make sure it doesn't clip.
Because going from a stereo to mono can raise the levels depending on your Pan Law Settings

CJ
CJmastering
Poster
Online Audio Mixing and Mastering - Pro Online Mixing & Mastering, TV Commercials & Audio books

Audio Mixing Tips

Postby audio_jungle » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:24 pm

The Elf wrote:+1

All that matters is the format you choose for the final rendered mix output. What DAW are you using?

I don't have a DAW - I am using Audacity.

There isn't technically a way to convert multiple tracks into one mono, but there is an option to convert all tracks to another track which would be mono - semantics really.
audio_jungle
Regular

Postby audio_jungle » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:26 pm

CJmastering wrote:You need to remember that when you bounce it down to a mono track, that you make sure it doesn't clip.
Because going from a stereo to mono can raise the levels depending on your Pan Law Settings

CJ

Okay, I will beware of that in the future!
audio_jungle
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:32 pm

audio_jungle wrote:
The Elf wrote:+1
I don't have a DAW - I am using Audacity.

There isn't technically a way to convert multiple tracks into one mono, but there is an option to convert all tracks to another track which would be mono - semantics really.
Audacity is your DAW. I don't know anything about Audacity, but I bet it has an audio export feature for your finished mix. If that doesn't include the option for mono then you may need to pass your rendered stereo mix file through another process - Switch Sound File Converter, for example, allows conversion to mono.

Any users of Audacity out there that can provide more knowledgeable advice?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby audio_jungle » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:02 pm

The Elf wrote:Audacity is your DAW. I don't know anything about Audacity, but I bet it has an audio export feature for your finished mix. If that doesn't include the option for mono then you may need to pass your rendered stereo mix file through another process - Switch Sound File Converter, for example, allows conversion to mono.

Any users of Audacity out there that can provide more knowledgeable advice?

I was being pedantic. Yes, I found a way to convert multiple tracks into one track which I suppose means that it is indeed creating a mono track.

I just wasn't sure if doing that degradated the quality...
audio_jungle
Regular

Postby Ariosto » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:46 pm

In Audacity just go to File> export and choose the three (or two) tracks and choose mono for the export. It's very simple.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:56 pm

The File>Export thing is the same in Reaper (and, I expect, many other DAWs).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:03 am

audio_jungle wrote:I don't have a DAW - I am using Audacity.

You do - it's called Audacity. :lol:
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Jadoube » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:45 pm

CS70 wrote:
audio_jungle wrote:I don't have a DAW - I am using Audacity.

You do - it's called Audacity. :lol:

DAW --> Digital Audio Workstation

Acronyms... :headbang:
Jadoube
Regular
David

Postby Mary1990 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:08 am

For some reason sometimes Audacity doesn't want to perform some actions, but if I quit the program and start it again, it works perfectly well. I guess it conflicts with something.
Mary1990

Postby ef37a » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 am

If this is a one off task you might like to download the 30 day trial of MAGIX Samplitude Pro X3? Sam has a very comprehensive formats export/converter which I at least find very inuitive to use.

And err? "Loss of qualtity"? For an eight bit file???!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster