You are here

Allen & Heath QU-16 and QU-24

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Allen & Heath QU-16 and QU-24

Postby OneWorld » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:55 pm

I am thinking of buying either a QU-16 or QU-24, but as per usual, am confused.

Regarding the QU-16, it says on the A&H website.........

"Qu-16’s built-in audio interface streams up to 24 selectable tracks to your Mac or PC and returns from the computer can be easily assigned to the Input channels."

so it has 16 faders + 1(master) yet can stream 24 channels and each channel can "be easily assigned to the Input channels." well how does it manage that if there are only 24 faders?

I have in the past owned an 01V96 and 02R96, and these had separate layers, eg on the 01v96 16 faders but 2 layers, hence could control 32 inputs. I get that.

But the blurb for the QU series says they don't have fader layers? so 24 into 16, don't go, or does it?

Additionally I have been watching a tutorial video on YouTube and it seems to say the EQ cannot be applied to a single channel, you apply EQ to a group bus, of which there are 4, if memory serves me right. I thought I must be hearing wrong, but I noticed amongst the comments that others had understood it the same as myself - no EQ on individual channels.

I'm beginning to wish I had kept my 02r96 :-(
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 and QU-24

Postby Wonks » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:23 pm

Download the manuals, they explain a lot more!

Page 12 of this quick start guide shows the signal flow schematic. https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mi ... 2-V1.9.pdf

There is EQ is on each input channel.

I'd addition to 16 mono tracks, there are also three stereo return channels, (adding 6 more tracks to record) and I'd assume the FX return can be recorded as L+R effects as well (I've only skimmed through the manual). That makes 24 tracks to me.

If you want to really now what it can do, I'm afraid it is a case of sitting down to download and then RTFM before you buy.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:26 pm

The Qu 16 has three layers one with all 16 full channels and the second with busses, aux's, fx etc. IIRC it has around 22 physical inputs, 16 full featured channels and 3 stereo/6 mono 'aux' line inputs with reduced features. The third layer is a freely assignable custom layer. The thing that put me off the Qu was the lack of LCD scribble strips so it's back to the chinagraph for that custom layer......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby OneWorld » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:43 pm

Wonks wrote:
If you want to really now what it can do, I'm afraid it is a case of sitting down to download and then RTFM before you buy.

I beg to differ, if I was trying to sell something I would make it as transparent and as easy as possible for any potential buyer to quickly and easily come to an informed decision without having to plough through manuals, where it is an established fact that not all of them are good at explaining things in a concise manner. Otherwise why is YouTube full of How To Vids, albeit some even more puzzling than what they are trying to un-puzzle.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:46 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The Qu 16 has three layers one with all 16 full channels and the second with busses, aux's, fx etc. IIRC it has around 22 physical inputs, 16 full featured channels and 3 stereo/6 mono 'aux' line inputs with reduced features. The third layer is a freely assignable custom layer. The thing that put me off the Qu was the lack of LCD scribble strips so it's back to the chinagraph for that custom layer......

Funnily enough, I have seen several other potential buyers make that comment, some saying they bought one of the X32 series instead. Don't think it would stop me, masking tape will do, as long as I remember it can sometimes strips the paint off the mixer!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Humble Bee » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:38 pm

The qu is a great machine. We have used a qu16 for a couple of years live and it has never let us down. For us as a trio we can go IEM in stereo or have wedges. Great for multi tracking shows and rehearsals as well. Don't know how well it holds up for studio quality recording tho but as a live machine it sounds great and is easy to use.
Can be had for cheap 2nd hand these days as well...
No scribble strip but I don't need it nor the custom layer.
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:03 pm

OneWorld wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:The Qu 16 has three layers one with all 16 full channels and the second with busses, aux's, fx etc. IIRC it has around 22 physical inputs, 16 full featured channels and 3 stereo/6 mono 'aux' line inputs with reduced features. The third layer is a freely assignable custom layer. The thing that put me off the Qu was the lack of LCD scribble strips so it's back to the chinagraph for that custom layer......

Funnily enough, I have seen several other potential buyers make that comment, some saying they bought one of the X32 series instead. Don't think it would stop me, masking tape will do, as long as I remember it can sometimes strips the paint off the mixer!

I did buy the X32 Compact rather than the Qu16 but not entirely because of the lack of LCD scribble strips. While the onboard I/O is similar the X32 has around twice the processing power of the Qu16 which, along with the scribble strips, was enough to make the Berry a no-brainer for me.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby OneWorld » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:12 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
OneWorld wrote:

I did buy the X32 Compact rather than the Qu16 but not entirely because of the lack of LCD scribble strips. While the onboard I/O is similar the X32 has around twice the processing power of the Qu16 which, along with the scribble strips, was enough to make the Berry a no-brainer for me.

Hmmmm, pause for thought. I have been looking at the X32 for some time now but still suffer from the Berry prejudice.

How does the X32 perform as a DAW controller. I cannot understand why mixer manufacturers have a controller layer, but never include transport controls, which I would have thought were a core part of the HUI/Mackie

I am currently trying to get by with a controller, but having say a track count of 24 but only 8 faders (I use the Mackie MCU Pro) makes we want to go out the box again. Switching banks back and forth just doesn't suit me. And whilst I am aware I could buyer MCU extenders, by the time I have bought them, I might as well go the extra mile and have extra faders, recording ability, built EFX and works as a controller anyway etc etc etc and buy a mixer.

Do you use the X32 as an interface, what sort of latency do you get? Currently I swap between a LiquidMix 56 and RME FF800 and can happily work down to 64 samples, I suppose I could live with 128 samples latency. I only ever record a max of say 4 tracks at one time
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:22 pm

I use the X32 as my main interface recording into Reaper but I only use Reaper as a 'digital tape recorder' and don't make use of the DAW control facilities so I can't help there. I also monitor through the X32 so latency is not an issue (the input to output latency is 1ms).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:08 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I use the X32 as my main interface recording into Reaper but I only use Reaper as a 'digital tape recorder' and don't make use of the DAW control facilities so I can't help there. I also monitor through the X32 so latency is not an issue (the input to output latency is 1ms).

Ah yes, should have remembered that, monitoring at the mixer all but does away with latency and as for a controller, come to think of it I could use my wireless qwerty keyboard, I have memorized many of the keyboard shortcuts anyway.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:25 pm

The X32 does have a DAW control facility which I believe works well. I will try out when I'm next in the studio (next week). I use the mouse mostly with Reaper but the transport controls are clunky that way so a better method would be welcome as I get more into recording (I'm a live sound guy really).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster