You are here

focusrite2i2//logic pro x/ mic problem ?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

focusrite2i2//logic pro x/ mic problem ?

Postby DaveQuan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:36 pm

all of my equipment is brand new so i know theres nothing wrong with my equipment, i use a focusrite 2i2 interface, at2020 microphone, and a macbook white, logic pro x,

for some reason, my microphone wont pick up audio, but if i turn the gain signal all the way up, it picks up noise, i know this because the the interface shows it as i turn the signal up, so its deffinetly able to pick up something, but wont pick up any vocals or any sound for some reason, i even got new xlr cables,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un35gPx60gY

link above is a video i made showing and explaining everything, would appreciate any help, love
DaveQuan
Poster
much love

Re: focusrite2i2//logic pro x/ mic problem ?

Postby desmond » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:16 pm

Some things to try:-

- If you put the mic into channel 2 on the interface, does it behave the same?
- If you record a line input signal through that channel 1, does that work ok?
- If you try a different XLR cable, does that make a difference (it might be wired wrongly or damaged) Check how it's wired, if it's labelled on the packaging?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:29 pm

If you've got a multimeter, check (with the mic disconnected but the other end plugged in and +48v on), that you are getting around 48v dc between pin 1 (ground) and pin 2 (signal +) and pin 1 and 3 (signal -) in the XLR connector.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:41 pm

Is phantom power switched on?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Is phantom power switched on?
It is. You didn't watch the video.

Have you tried speaking into the other side of the mic? AT don't actually say which the correct side of the mic is in their datasheet, and whilst is should be the side with the AudioTechnica name on it, it's worth double checking (and it could have been assembled facing the wrong way).

Also if you've just got the mic and its come in really cold from outside, then let it warm up for a couple of hours as there may be condensation on the inside, which will stop the mic from working and make it noisy.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Wonks wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Is phantom power switched on?
It is. You didn't watch the video.

True! :D Reading on an old iPad1 which won't play YouTube vids anymore. :-(

T'was the most likely reason, and the OP didn't explicitly mention phantom power.

A broken XLR cable would be the next most likely cause, as you've already mentioned, and then the configuration software for the interface (making sure the mic input is selected rather than line etc).

Is it possible to try with a different mic (ideally a moving-coil / dynamic one)?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Try a different mic, and a different cable?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:02 pm

The 2i2 only switches to line mode when a jack is inserted into the combi input. No jack = mic input. There's no other hardware or software switch.

Definitely worth trying the other input (and change the input in your DAW) in case there is a fault with the internal soldering on the PCB, or the combi input for input 1.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ben.jammin82 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:56 pm

DaveQuan wrote:all of my equipment is brand new so i know theres nothing wrong with my equipment, i use a focusrite 2i2 interface, at2020 microphone, and a macbook white, logic pro x,

for some reason, my microphone wont pick up audio, but if i turn the gain signal all the way up, it picks up noise, i know this because the the interface shows it as i turn the signal up, so its deffinetly able to pick up something, but wont pick up any vocals or any sound for some reason, i even got new xlr cables,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un35gPx60gY

link above is a video i made showing and explaining everything, would appreciate any help, love

Few things to check.

Make sure you select mic and not line on your interface.

Check your I/O preferences in logic.
https://youtu.be/B62jPvSj93g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ben.jammin82

Postby DaveQuan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:27 pm

thank you to everyone that replied, i truly appreciate the help so much, i had a old interface that i switched to and its picking up my voice, so i guess sadly it is my brand new interface thats not working correctly, siggggh
DaveQuan
Poster
much love

Postby ben.jammin82 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:30 pm

DaveQuan wrote:thank you to everyone that replied, i truly appreciate the help so much, i had a old interface that i switched to and its picking up my voice, so i guess sadly it is my brand new interface thats not working correctly, siggggh

Ahh that sucks bud. It does happen with even some of the most expensive recording gear from time to time. focusrite or even the retailer should sort a replacement. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ben.jammin82

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:46 pm

Before returning it (or anything more drastic), it's worth checking you've got the latest drivers installed and that logic is picking them up correctly and not still trying to use the drivers for your old interface?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...