You are here

best sequencer for loops?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

best sequencer for loops?

Postby kcseb » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:44 am

Hi all

I'm a long-time Cubase user. I record traditionally (i.e. full length multi-tracking) but also like working with loops, building tracks based on layering loops on top of each other and pitch-shifting and tweaking as needed.

I currently use Stylus RMX for this, an old VSTi plugin (mainly aimed at drum users) which can import REX, WAV, loops, etc. However it's a clunky solution and a bit like using a 'sequencer within a sequencer', so not a great workflow.

What other software could I look at that allows you to create tracks based on layering up loops quickly and intuitively?

Thanks!
kcseb
Regular

Re: best sequencer for loops?

Postby fatbenelton » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Not sure what platform you are on but PC only Magix Acid should do the trick. Just updated to Pro 8 after languishing under Sony for years.

https://www.magix.com/gb/music/acid-pro/

It's a full fat sequencer though so may not suit your workflow alongside Cubase.
fatbenelton
Regular

Jonny

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:37 pm

I don't have any interest in loops, so it's not something I've made a study of, but I know that Cubase has tools in there to help with tempo-matching, slicing, stretching and stuff like that. It would be worth seeing what can be achieved by Cubase itself before pulling in a plug-in.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Again, I've never used it, but Ableton is more geared towards loops than Cubase, and it is from the same stable.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Ramirez » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:58 pm

I use Bitwig Studio a lot. I like it.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby desmond » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:24 pm

Wonks wrote:Again, I've never used it, but Ableton is more geared towards loops than Cubase, and it is from the same stable.

+1

"Live" has a great set of tools for this kind of material, and is a great complement to a more conventional DAW, imo.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby fxsoundscapes » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:04 pm

hmmm.. I use Cubase but usually i see all the loop people using FL Studio. They say its simpler to use but after working with Cubase for 10 years, i cant figure it out. Use what you know the best! :ugeek:
fxsoundscapes
New here