You are here

Softube Console 1 and Cubase track names not working

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Softube Console 1 and Cubase track names not working

Postby AndyN » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi Everyone,

I bought Console 1 yesterday and have set it up with the latest version of Cubase 9.5. From what I have read it should have really good integration with Cubase but it isn't working. I get a message saying 'The DAW does not support automatic track name and numbers'. I was under the impression it did. I tried it with Logic and that works fine. Anyone got any tips as I must be doing something wrong.

Sorry, forgot to say - it is working i.e. I can mix with it but the integration isn't as it should be.

Thanks in advance

Andy
AndyN
Regular

Re: Softube Console 1 and Cubase track names not working

Postby AndyN » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:29 pm

Sorted - how utterly ridiculous. If anyone else gets the same problem - here is the solution.

When you choose your insert there is a folder called Softube and in it will be your Console 1 plugin. Don't use it! It is VST2

Instead, go to the dynamics folder and you will find another one in there - hidden away! Use that one - it is VST3.

I have wasted so much time on this and not only that but the spell checker keeps changing Softube to softie. AAArgh!

Andy
AndyN
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:32 pm

AndyN wrote:not only that but the spell checker keeps changing Softube to softie. AAArgh!

Andy

Sorry but that did make me giggle. :)
Glad you got it sorted.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby AndyN » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:42 pm

Hmm - you try googling 'I'm having problems with my softie'. Put me off my breakfast!! :blush:
AndyN
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:17 pm

I've begun weeding out VST2 plug-ins in favour of VST3, assuming they have both been installed. I can imagine a time in the future where support for VST2 is dropped and I'd rather trim them out sooner rather than later.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:11 am

Is that last post genuine?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby Wonks » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:54 am

Interesting development - copying from two posts, not just one.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Still Vibrations » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:59 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:Is that last post genuine?

CC

I think it is the internet equivalent of Echo in Greek mythology.
Still Vibrations
Frequent Poster
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby Still Vibrations » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:00 am

Wonks wrote:Interesting development - copying from two posts, not just one.

Not only that but the spell checker keeps changing compresssor to impress her. This means when I did a search for the Softube compressor I got searches for impress her with your softie.
Still Vibrations
Frequent Poster
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby Mixedup » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:09 am

AndyN wrote:Instead, go to the dynamics folder and you will find another one in there - hidden away! Use that one - it is VST3.

Yes, for some unfathomable reason, VST3 plug-ins are pigeon-holed by 'type' and Cubase automatically puts them in those folders. I used to hate when Pro Tools did this, and now the same default appears to have crept into Cubase. You end up with a situation where plug-ins doing more than one thing don't show up where they should... eg a channel strip plug-in might be in dynamics, even if you always use it for its EQ. Or things used specifcially for distortion end up listed as dynamics because they perform some dynamics control as a side-effect (eg tube and tape emulators).

You can change how plug-ins are listed in Cubase, of course, but I find the default is really annoying — particularly since the default folder structure means you often see (and therefore reach for) the VST2 version first.

You can of course choose not to install VST2, or to install VST2s in a folder that Cubase doesn't scan... but that's not a great option if you use other software that uses VST2 and there are some plug-ins you need to use with Cubase for which there are no VST3 versions.

Anyway, rant over :protest: Glad you got to the bottom of it...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:44 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Is that last post genuine?

CC

The post CC refers to is now removed. I had suspicions that it was an attempt to seed an account for future abuse. As others pointed out, it was quoting text from two previous posts in this topic.

The offender has been banned.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Dramatic Hammer » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:37 pm

AndyN wrote:Sorted - how utterly ridiculous. If anyone else gets the same problem - here is the solution.

When you choose your insert there is a folder called Softube and in it will be your Console 1 plugin. Don't use it! It is VST2

Instead, go to the dynamics folder and you will find another one in there - hidden away! Use that one - it is VST3.

I have wasted so much time on this and not only that but the spell checker keeps changing Softube to softie. AAArgh!

Andy
Amazing, this has just saved me upgrading from cubase 9 - thankyou!
Dramatic Hammer
Regular