You are here

Beginner mixing sound

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Beginner mixing sound

Postby devvisual » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi Everyone,
I hope someone can give me some advice. I am a visual artist and guitar player and
I have the opportunity to submit my piece with a configuration of 8 speakers.

I have the software Reaper, but I never recorded the guitar on 8 separate tracks. I dont have 8 physical speakers to test this and either way I do not know how to route the recording tracks to separate speakers.

I am thinking to either get them to play 8 tracks of the same piece outputting to all 8 speakers, however I am thinking this will sound bad.

The other idea I had was to cut up the track into 8 pieces, and then have them play each part in a different speaker. eg: 1st track - speaker one, then 2 track speaker 2 etc.....
1st track being just the first part of the recording, 2nd track second part etc...

I have no way of testing this and I don't have the time to learn how to route in software...it seems so complicated as I am not familiar with this functionality.

Any feedback or ideas would be great. I also do not want to re-record as it was improvised and it came out perfectly.

Thanks so much!
devvisual

Re: Beginner mixing sound

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:56 pm

Rather than flounder I would strongly suggest you get some help in the form of an audio engineer who can sort out the technicalities while you're looking after the guitar parts. What you learn while doing this will set you up for the future.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Beginner mixing sound

Postby devvisual » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:02 pm

The Elf wrote:Rather than flounder I would strongly suggest you get some help in the form of an audio engineer who can sort out the audio while you're looking after the guitar parts. What you learn while doing this will set you up for the future.

Ya, that would be ideal. I have a deadline and I was hoping for a workaround!
Thanks though
devvisual