You are here

Apollo Twin mkll monitor setup?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Apollo Twin mkll monitor setup?

Postby marconicph » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:30 am

Hi,

Im expanding my studio and need an extra pair of monitors for reference. Right now im working with an Apollo Twin mkll quad and focal twins. Any suggestions for the best way to set up, lets say a pair of active mix cubes or ns10's? Without having to buy some expensive solution like crane song, but also not loosing quality with a big knob or something like that. Just need to be able to switch between minimum 2 pair of monitors in an easy way that doesn't ruin my workflow or compromises my sound.

Thanks.

- Marconi
marconicph

Re: Apollo Twin mkll monitor setup?

Postby Wonks » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi and welcome.

All been answered recently here: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63613
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Luke W » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:48 pm

For a separate monitor controller recommendations, Wonks' link is what you need. If it's just switching between two pairs of monitors you need, then the Apollo Twin MK2 has that capability built in, the manual will explain in detail how to achieve it.
Luke W
Regular
Techie/Musician Of Sorts

Postby CS70 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:03 pm

marconicph wrote:Hi,

Im expanding my studio and need an extra pair of monitors for reference. Right now im working with an Apollo Twin mkll quad and focal twins. Any suggestions for the best way to set up, lets say a pair of active mix cubes or ns10's? Without having to buy some expensive solution like crane song, but also not loosing quality with a big knob or something like that. Just need to be able to switch between minimum 2 pair of monitors in an easy way that doesn't ruin my workflow or compromises my sound.

Thanks.

- Marconi

As in the thread that Wonks point to, the Drawmer is the favorite monitor controller. I have a less expensive M-Patch 2 and I've been using an Auratone with it (together with an integrated amp) for the last couple years with no problems (and no noise), so that's an option as well.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:20 pm

There's quite a bit in the Sound on Sound review of the Twin Mk II as a monitor controller, so with that and the manual you should be OK, I think.

Incidentally I wouldn't bother with a pair of Mix Cubes, I'd get (in fact I did get) just one. Stereo balance you can check just as effectively on your main speakers and the single speaker will give you mono compatibility checking thrown in. Plus you save money!

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Humble Bee » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:12 pm

I have the Drawmer and I'm very happy!
I run my brand new Genelec 8010's and one Mixcube (on the mono sub out) and a pair of cheap old Logitech speakers.

Get a special stereo to mono summing cable made up and run one Mixcube from the alternative out on the Apollo.

Or get the Drawmer so you can connect a phone and a second stereo source as well. I run a turntable and whatever phones etc. next to the Apollo.
Humble Bee
Regular