You are here

How to Mixing low Piano range and Bass guitar?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

How to Mixing low Piano range and Bass guitar?

Postby Mosi » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:04 am

Hi

The goal is to low range of piano and bass guitar not to make a muddy sound.
Of course, in the song, there will be other instruments drums, high piano sounds, and some strings.

How to set up eq or whatever it takes to cut off.

Help please.
Mosi

Re: How to Mixing low Piano range and Bass guitar?

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:32 am

Decide which instrument is going to take the deep bass and HPF the rest. There's only so much room in the extreme lows and you really do need only one instrument dominating down there.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:42 am

I'd add that the performance needs to be tight if you have the piano doubling the bass (even at a low level).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MarkOne » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:53 pm

The piano has plenty of overtones in the Bass, so you can roll off at a surprisingly high frequency and still preserve the feel. So I'd let the bass guitar deal with filling in the low frequencies.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:27 pm

I'd agree with all the above advice - roll off the bottom end of the piano to leave room for the real bass end from the bass guitar, but make sure the two parts are tight with each other as well as compatible rhythmically, to prevent them 'fighting' with each other.

Remember though that if you have a kick drum in this mix, that will need to find its own space alongside the other two elements - in this scenario choosing the most appropriate kick sound is probably the best approach; one which sits in whatever mix space is left after both bass and low piano notes are in place.

I suspect that a clicky kick with short decay is possibly the best candidate.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby James Perrett » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:43 pm

I've been mixing a project with a piano/bass/drums lineup recently and, having just had a quick listen, I'd go along with everyone else's advice to roll off the bass of the piano. Treat the bass drum as something that accents the attack of the bass guitar rather than as an instrument in its own right.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Dr R » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:20 pm

As all the above. I prefer the bass to lead and roll off the piano, but of course if the pianist is playing very fancy left hand and the bass is just plonking on the root notes then let the piano lead.
I have this decision all the time with the live worship bands I do FOH for. One minute the piano is being very clever, the next song they are just doing chords. The bass players generally react and give them space, which helps. If I am very lucky then everyone does in the service what they did in rehearsal....
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Dr R wrote: If I am very lucky then everyone does in the service what they did in rehearsal....
:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby fxsoundscapes » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Find the main frequency of your bass track with analyzer plugin. Lets say its 100 hz for example. Just find what the dominating frequency is. Cut that same frequency in your piano track to make space for the bass. I usually cut low end of piano tracks enough to begin with, so bass problems rarely arise.
fxsoundscapes
New here

Postby siderealxxx » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:14 am

My experience with this is that piano notes in the low range have very little in the way of fundamental, it's primarily complex overtones. So you shouldn't actually have much of a problem because a bass by contrast (electric at least, not acoustic) has a strong fundamental and relatively few overtones. They should mix together quite naturally with relatively little compromise.
siderealxxx
Regular
Excess makes the heart grow fonder