You are here

Bass Monitoring: Close Up vs Distant

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Bass Monitoring: Close Up vs Distant

Postby Elephone » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:44 pm

Hello. I'm just wondering what people think about these comments about bass frequencies in Dub/Reggae, or music in general, in connection with speaker placement.

Starts at 8:31m in: https://youtu.be/AmEwSLuUbsI?t=511

I have my nearfield monitor speakers up quite close, mainly to reduce perceptible reflections and to avoid annoying my neighbours, but I'm not really sure how this affects getting the bass balance right. I just tend to compare it with tracks I consider ideal, (from listening through my HiFi). I do want to get into using spectral analysis to compare tracks.

Is he perhaps referring to the balancing necessary for big sound systems, where I'm presuming the bass frequencies end up being dominant due to the proximity of the listeners or the speaker systems themselves? Could it be to do with how high frequencies die out faster in outdoor concerts?

Can't I just keep moving away from the speakers and turn them up to have a listen from time to time? I'm also not sure about the stereo comment, I mean a lot of the really classic stuff was in mono anyway.

Thanks
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Bass Monitoring: Close Up vs Distant

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Elephone wrote:Hello. I'm just wondering what people think about these comments about bass frequencies in Dub/Reggae, or music in general, in connection with speaker placement.

The comments seem very confused and vague... but that's not unusual in my experience. People can be fantastic mixers with very little understanding of the technical underpinnings, or a limited ability to explain it clearly! They are very different talents.

There is a well known issue connecting perceived bass response and speaker position, which is that moving the speaker away from the walls creates a low-mid dip in the response due to partial cancellations from the reflected bass coming off the back (and side walls). There was a whole feature in the mag about it not that long ago, although I can't find it at the moment!

There is also the other issue about sitting too close to the speakers which is that the sound from the separate drive units doesn't integrate properly until a set distance from the speaker -- most decent speaker manufacturers state the minimum listening distance, with larger speakers generally needing more space.

I'm also not sure about the stereo comment, I mean a lot of the really classic stuff was in mono anyway.

Quite! :D

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound