You are here

BitWig and sample playback...

Page 1 of 1

BitWig and sample playback...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:20 pm
by Jadoube
Hello...
Is anyone using Bitwig? Not much about it on this forum and indeed most forums are sparse.
I've been clicking around on it and I like it.

I have a specific question. Does anyone know if the sampler in Bitwig supports any playback format like the ones used by "Samples From Mars"? Their whole collection is on sale for $39 Yankee bucks and I thought that might be fun... but I don't understand how well or not this would run in Bitwig. It's been so long since I played with samples I really don't know where it is at these days...

Thanks!

Edit... Adding formats supported by Samples from Mars
ABLETON 9
BATTERY 4
KONTAKT 5
LOGIC EXS24 LOOPS
MASCHINE
MPC1000
MPC2500
REASON NN-XT

Re: BitWig and sample playback...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:45 pm
by Jadoube
Heh heh... I guess no one is using Bitwig!!

To answer my own question...

Hi David,

no, sorry, if there are no presets in the Bitwig Sampler format or the open SoundFont format of those packs, they will not work in the Bitwig Sampler.

Best regards,
Bitwig Support Team

Re: BitWig and sample playback...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:48 pm
by Ramirez
I use it and I think its brilliant.

However, I can’t answer your question sorry!

Re: BitWig and sample playback...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:39 pm
by blinddrew
Good to get a response direct from Bitwig though.

Re: BitWig and sample playback...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:22 pm
by Jadoube
blinddrew wrote:Good to get a response direct from Bitwig though.

Indeed. Seem like nice folks... now it appears I need to get some kind of "sampler" vst...

Kontact 6 is really expensive... (and very nice I'm sure)
The last sampler I used was Gigasampler. Appears defunct now.
I'll start a thread in keyboards

Re: BitWig and sample playback...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:58 pm
by Wonks
The Kontakt player is free and will normally play most Kontakt sample libraries. There are some limitations compared to the full Kontakt, but probably nothing that stops you getting the basic sounds from the samples.

Re: BitWig and sample playback...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:43 pm
by Jadoube
Wonks wrote:The Kontakt player is free and will normally play most Kontakt sample libraries. There are some limitations compared to the full Kontakt, but probably nothing that stops you getting the basic sounds from the samples.

If I understand correctly, the Kontakt Player only plays encrypted samples as a form of copy protection. In this application, the full Kontakt sampler is required. I picked up the AIR Structure 2 sampler on sale. Should get the job done nicely.

Re: BitWig and sample playback...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:20 pm
by BobTheDog
I must admit I thought the bitwig sampler supports soundfonts!

You just drag them to the track and it creates the sampler.

Re: BitWig and sample playback...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:24 pm
by BobTheDog
Just looked at the sample from mars site, looks like they are all available as wavs anyway so bitwig would be fine.

Re: BitWig and sample playback...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:24 am
by Jadoube
BobTheDog wrote:Just looked at the sample from mars site, looks like they are all available as wavs anyway so bitwig would be fine.

Heh... I guess I don't know what that means. I just want to consume what I think is a preset keyboard layout. Whatever mappings etc already set up. Plug n PLay if you will. I haven't had time to have a go yet... but to me, using the wav files implies I would have to build all that?

Re: BitWig and sample playback...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:19 pm
by BobTheDog
Yep you would have to build it, it isn't particularly hard to do though.

I have just downloaded the entire bundle and tried some with bitwig.

The wav files are well named, so for a synth type sound you grab all the samples and drop them onto a sampler device and it basically works it all out, you might need to fiddle around a bit but you would learn something. Part of the fun of samples is making something new.

For the drums stuff, just create a Drum machine and drag a kit (folder of wavs) to it and it works it all out.

Then you can start messing about and having fun.

Image


p.s. I got these for use in an MPC live so I will have to go through the same sort of process with nearly all of the samples as well...

Re: BitWig and sample playback...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:27 am
by Jadoube
BobTheDog wrote:Yep you would have to build it, it isn't particularly hard to do though.

I have just downloaded the entire bundle and tried some with bitwig.

The wav files are well named, so for a synth type sound you grab all the samples and drop them onto a sampler device and it basically works it all out, you might need to fiddle around a bit but you would learn something. Part of the fun of samples is making something new.

For the drums stuff, just create a Drum machine and drag a kit (folder of wavs) to it and it works it all out.

Then you can start messing about and having fun.
.

Thanks for that BobTheDog. That does sound easy and I need to learn about what modern samplers are about. I had visions of building all of that by hand ... seems things may have improved a bit since I last seriously mucked about in sampler land.. (Akai S900 days... :o )

Re: BitWig and sample playback...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:32 pm
by BobTheDog
It is a different world to those old samplers nowadays, technology has moved on.

Although some do say the old hardware sounds better but I must admit I'm not one of those!

Re: BitWig and sample playback...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:10 am
by Jadoube
BobTheDog wrote:Although some do say the old hardware sounds better but I must admit I'm not one of those!
Sounds like the 80s... which is unbelivably popular at the moment. I’m in Barcelona right now and sometimes I feel like I’m in an 80s time machine... I don’t mind! But it surprises me.