You are here

big screen tips please

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

big screen tips please

Postby hooty2 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:27 pm

hi,
my 32" telly that i use for track items and automation lanes, in conjunction with a smaller wide screen monitor for mixer view and plugins...has started to fail.
Is there any general advice about the kind of spec i should look for if i get another 2nd had LCD tv or, preferably, a regular PC monitor.
i am looking at 32 to 40 inches and i need HDMI.
i don't need any other whizz bang facilities, sound is not important.
any thoughts or related advice
cheers
hooty2
Regular

Re: big screen tips please

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:32 am

I'm looking at a 27" LG monitor right now and the picture is very fine. So that's a recommendation for a company rather than a specific monitor. The main thing I wanted to say is make sure it has plenty of inputs so as to give yourself a certain amount of future proofing. The one I'm looking at has HDMI, DVI-D, Displayport and Thunderbolt so lots of options for the future. I chose it for the Thunderbolt input but was reassured by it having the other ports (unlike Apple's equivalent monitor) so that if Thunderbolt disappeared off the scene I wouldn't be left with a useless monitor.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby Zukan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:09 pm

I have a 42" Hisense I bought from Tesco for a couple of hundred quid and it's perfect for my needs.
Zukan

Postby CS70 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:23 pm

I use two 27" screens, side by side, with the monitors on the sides. One is a Philips and one is a Samsung and they both do the job just fine. They both take HDMI and VGA, which is pretty standard nowadays.

Definitely satisfied.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:27 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote: I chose it for the Thunderbolt input but was reassured by it having the other ports (unlike Apple's equivalent monitor) so that if Thunderbolt disappeared off the scene I wouldn't be left with a useless monitor.

CC

Same reasoning here. I went for the ultrawide. A buddy went for the curved ultrawide which I am curious about to see if it is a gimmick or not.

note about the ultrawide LG - if your computer is in a machine room or not close to the monitor then extension cables that work properly are very expensive.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:15 pm

I got really lucky and got 2 iiyama 40 inchers for 400 quid for the pair, boxed returns so used but for my purposes as good as new.

I wanted this set up in my intention to go out the box, Cubase Arranger Page on one screen and mixer on the other. Hasn't quite worked out as expected because the 'multi-tasking' we use does not appear to be true multi-tasking but task switching, and not quite the same as parallel processing and going from the arranger page to the mixer page means the 'focus' is lost, I have to click on the mixer before a control will respond - ok, that's no big deal, but I am thinking of going back to a hardware mixer if only for the immediacy of it.

That being said, it's great to have the VSTs displayed without them obscuring the arrange page

Prior to buying the iiyamas I used a Ferguson 30" tv by way of the HDMI connection and it was great, pin sharp display, and when I fancied watching the telly, I could do that too - well I didn't want to miss X-Factor did I !
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Logarhythm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:53 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Same reasoning here. I went for the ultrawide. A buddy went for the curved ultrawide which I am curious about to see if it is a gimmick or not.
Any initial feedback on the curved please?
In need of a new monitor, torn between the various 16:9/21:9 options but particularly interested in actual user experience of curved screens for music work. I like the idea of it but don't know if it's useful in practice, particularly when some of the time is spent at keyboards that aren't all nicely central in front of the screen.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:13 pm

It must be a gimmick, to get any benefit you would need to be sitting dead in line and at or not too far behind the centre of radius. I suppose that might be better than a flat screen for gamers but for anybody else (especially for multiple viewers) a flat screen will be better.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Logarhythm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:09 pm

I'm sceptical but unsure, Sam.
Aside from time playing things in / programming hardware synths, I spend most of my time sat dead centre to the monitor, there is no-one else that needs to see it etc. Can see why curved TVs would be a bit strange, but genuinely wondering if there are benefits on eye strain vs. the possible drawbacks for the occasional "need to see the screen but not from a perpendicular viewpoint" moments. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who's actually tried it, as 5 mins checking out a limited selection in PC World doesn't count for much...

Hooty2 - sorry for derailing your thread, it's hopefully vaguely on topic but you can tell me where to stick my curved monitor musings and I'll take it to a separate thread if needed :tongue:
For what it's worth, the Acer that I'm about to replace is starting to show issues with lighting but it's nigh-on 10 years old, which seems like a good innings to me!
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Did you sort your screen conundrum, Hooty2?
I went with a Philips 328E9FJAB (snappy name ;) ) - so far very impressed; the jump from 23" at 1080p to 31.5 inches at 2560x1440 feels like a massive gain in screen real estate at relatively little cost. Even has built in speakers that do a fine job of sounding decidedly grotboxy :thumbup:
I did gamble on the curved screen and after a short while of not being able to stop looking at the curviness I quickly got used to it and confess I really like it. As expected, it's a little strange from oblique angles but for most of the time I'm sat right in front and am impressed.
Could be a terrible case of confirmation bias of course, but my eyes seem happy. YMMV :tongue:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:50 am

I did gamble on the curved screen and after a short while of not being able to stop looking at the curviness I quickly got used to it and confess I really like it.

If you have to pay a large premium then I would say don’t get one; your eyes are perfectly capable of scanning a flat screen.
Also reflections in anything other than a dark room must be a problem surely?
MOF
Regular

Postby MOF » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:58 am

if your computer is in a machine room or not close to the monitor then extension cables that work properly are very expensive.
Thankfully SSDs are becoming standard and so you don’t get any noise now, so your interface, monitor and other Thunderbolt peripherals can be close to your computer using short cables.
MOF
Regular

Postby Logarhythm » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:09 am

MOF wrote:If you have to pay a large premium then I would say don’t get one; your eyes are perfectly capable of scanning a flat screen.
Also reflections in anything other than a dark room must be a problem surely?
Got a great deal, cost me less than the equivalent model of flat screen and indeed any screen I could find of comparable spec/size, so figured it was worth the gamble as could always return it if I didn't get on with it.
Seem to have fewer issues with reflections too. In my room the curved screen means less area parallel to windows so that possibly helps.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster

Postby Dickey » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Has anybody tried using a 4k TV as a monitor for music production? :)

A 56" TV would effectively give you four 28" monitors-worth of screen estate, at the same dpi, for about £450 without any of those pesky bezels. :shock:

Not sure about the practicalities of looking at a screen that big, and I'd need to update my computer to get good enough graphics to try this.

I have seen it discussed on other forums although not in a music production context.
Dickey
Dickey

Postby Dickey » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Speak of the devil - just got this in my mailbox:

https://www.arturia.com/stories/jorg-huttner

Nice pic!
Dickey
Dickey

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm looking at buying a bigger monitor and have looked at both FSTVs and similar sized monitors Are there any differences in performance between TV and dedicated monitor if they are the same size and both have the same screen resolution? I'm probably looking at 32" but maybe up to 40"
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Logarhythm » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:38 pm

Some TVs still seem to use overscan so you'll want to make sure you can turn that off - otherwise you'll lose a bit of the screen around the edges and possibly get a bit of fuzziness that is particularly noticable on text.
The big screen we have in one of the meeting rooms at work regularly forgets this setting so frequent menu diving is required. It isn't the end of the world but a minor PITA ;)
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:16 am

Anyone gone down the 'curved screen' route?
Zukan

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:19 am

Logarhythm did a few posts upthread :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:26 pm

Zukan wrote:Anyone gone down the 'curved screen' route?

Yes, and the more I use it the more I like it.
Difficult to get a proper demo in shops (and very few shops that sell such things any more) but curious SoSers in / visiting the Devon area are welcome to pm me and have a play with it :thumbup:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster

Next