You are here

Suggestions for a 24 channel AD/DA converter

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Suggestions for a 24 channel AD/DA converter

Postby paulsmusic » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:38 pm

I'm currently setting up a project studio, and am thinking of buying an Audient ASP 4816 console. It has 24 audio outputs via 3 x DB25 connectors, so I am looking for an AD/DA converter that can handle at least 24 ins/outs.

My first choice at the moment is one of the Antelope Orion 32 models - does anybody have any experience using these, or suggestions of alternatives? My PC currently only has firewire or USB2 connectivity, which is another consideration when choosing the AD/DA converter, although I would consider modifying the PC to accommodate thunderbolt or USB 3.

Many thanks!
paulsmusic
Poster

Re: Suggestions for a 24 channel AD/DA converter

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:31 pm

Standard question these days for project studios... do you really need a console/mixer?

Some still prefer to work that way, but many of us haven't used a console for several years now. Mixing with faders can be done with a control surface.

And do you need 24 simultaneous inputs?

Your choice naturally, but you don't have to use a console...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby paulsmusic » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:59 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Standard question these days for project studios... do you really need a console/mixer?

Some still prefer to work that way, but many of us haven't used a console for several years now. Mixing with faders can be done with a control surface.

And do you need 24 simultaneous inputs?

Hi Mike, I do currently use a control surface, but like the idea of an analogue console as the centrepiece of my studio, and yes, I could potentially need 24 inputs for mixing...
paulsmusic
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:17 pm

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby paulsmusic » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:06 pm

Great suggestions Sam - thanks!
paulsmusic
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:25 pm

You're welcome, and I guess if you have the budget for an ASP 48/16 the price of two of those MOTU boxes won't require a sit down in a darkened room for too long either ;)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mixedup » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Lots of options. Depends on your needs/desires and budget...

If I were doing this myself, I'd probably be looking at system based on an RME MADIface USB or MADIface XT and separate MADI converters.

Or you could use a Dante interface (eg Ferrofish A32 Dante) with Dante Virtual Soundcard on the computer. Or a more sophisticated Dante setup such as Focusrite RedNet.

Lynx would also be worth considering.

Or the MOTU units mentioned above...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:34 pm

Mixedup wrote:If I were doing this myself, I'd probably be looking at system based on an RME MADIface USB or MADIface XT and separate MADI converters.
+1 This is the option I chose and I am very happy with it.

But if you really want a mixer then there are still plenty of options out there.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby paulsmusic » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

In terms of the AD/DA converter, I would only need something that can handle the 24 channels of the ASP4816 (I wouldn't be recording/mixing any more than that). So my main concerns are the quality of the audio conversion, and simplicity of use (i.e. the routing software of the AD/DA converter).

As I already have an Apollo Twin USB, and UAD plug-in bundle, I've also been looking at the Apollo 16, which is probably what I'd go for, but it won't enable me to use the full capacity of the ASP4816 at mixdown in my DAW.

Ideally, I'd like to spend £1,000 or less, so am looking at used AD/DA converters on Ebay. I wondered why the MOTUs are much cheaper that the Orions. Is the audio quality not as good?
paulsmusic
Poster