You are here

Why does this sound SOOOoooo good? Stayin Alive

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Why does this sound SOOOoooo good? Stayin Alive

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:29 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

Man, to my ear this has always been great! But comparing to stuff lately, even greater! Want to understand some of what this mojo is.

Man what do you hear? Why is this Sooooo goood. Thank you in advance for your ears!

BTW What I hear happens in the first few seconds of the song (and then keeps going). It's that groove. While I appreciate the vocals, it is that groove that happens for me and whose mojo I would like to comprehend in a mix reference sort of way.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Re: Why does this sound SOOOoooo good? Stayin Alive

Postby desmond » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:58 am

No sequencers, no programming, just good musicians, playing well together, with loads of analog gear and tape warmth, with skilled people in control of it all..

But it's the musicians (and the arrangement) that make the groove happen...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:56 am

Actually, it was all done to a two-bar drum loop!...

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ayin-alive

Mainly I think it's a brilliant arrangement -- there are tons of instruments but nothing is too busy and all the parts are great in their own right.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:Actually, it was all done to a two-bar drum loop!...

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ayin-alive

Mainly I think it's a brilliant arrangement -- there are tons of instruments but nothing is too busy and all the parts are great in their own right.

Ok so I can hear the rythm acoustic guitar part now. That was Barry Gibb on the guitar apparently, and that was how the song started with his acoustic guitar groove chugging along.

I always thought that part was some kind of percussion shaker or something. But the way that guitar rythm works against the drum groove is cool.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:22 pm

I had the multitrack for an outtake of this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FCF6x0YGQg

in the studio a while ago and the magic is all in the performance. It only had the basic drums/bass/guitar/keyboards/guide vocals on it but, in this case, it sounded like it was played together as a band.

I thought that the version that I had sounded pretty good, but the producer obviously thought it could be better, so it goes to show that a great deal of care was taken in those days to get things feeling right.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:11 am

I suspect there is also a shared 'nostalgic warmth' towards songs like this.

This song has probably been played at 75% (or more!) of family engagement / wedding parties over the last 40+ years etc - it's part of our culture and history.
Still a cracker!
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:47 am

Jumpeyspyder wrote:I suspect there is also a shared 'nostalgic warmth' towards songs like this.

This song has probably been played at 75% (or more!) of family engagement / wedding parties over the last 40+ years etc - it's part of our culture and history.
Still a cracker!

I accept that.

But I recall hearing Staying Alive the first time and I remember thinking that it just plain sounded really good.

I just played it for my kids (who had never heard it) and they said it was weird that the audio sounded Sooo good but the video was so bad. They noted that it is just the the way around these days.

I also found out that Barry Gibb wrote this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gqiyqu1GVE

and I recall hearing that for the first time and noting that it had something special in the way it sounded.

Perhaps I was not paying close enough attention at the time, but this Barry Gibb stuff just plain sounds great!

I think there is more to this than just nostalgia.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby wdsteele » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:26 am

I agree that Barry Gibb is an amazing artist , I thought he was one of the very best performers at Glastonbury 2017, really worth trying to catch his set if you missed it first time around , different musicians , modern kit but same great groove.
Also a lovely moment where he acknowledges his family in the wings in a very genuine manner ; very uplifting performance all in all , easy to see how he could inspire musicians and engineers working alongside him.
wdsteele
Regular