You are here

Recommendations for a mini line-level mixer?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Recommendations for a mini line-level mixer?

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:02 pm

Nah! Shan't bother... just won't order from GAK again... maybe that sort of approach explains why they're (reportedly) in some financial difficulties.

I have a proto-order for Thomann which I'll despatch post-festivities. I've just included an adapter in that order. (Not a 'shaver' adapter - a proper 'click to fit' device.)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:48 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Nah! Shan't bother... just won't order from GAK again... maybe that sort of approach explains why they're (reportedly) in some financial difficulties.

I have a proto-order for Thomann which I'll despatch post-festivities. I've just included an adapter in that order. (Not a 'shaver' adapter - a proper 'click to fit' device.)

I've never had that happen to me ... it may have been a genuine mistake on their part or perhaps on the part of their supplier if the original box was sealed - did you contact them about it? ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:02 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:Nah! Shan't bother... just won't order from GAK again... maybe that sort of approach explains why they're (reportedly) in some financial difficulties.

I've never had that happen to me ... it may have been a genuine mistake on their part or perhaps on the part of their supplier if the original box was sealed - did you contact them about it? ;)

Nope! Delivered PM Christmas Eve...

A 'quick-fix' bit of kit from Behringer. Sealed box. Just easier to order a proper adapter from a known source as I have an order going in soon anyway. (Bodging with a shaver adapter at the mo!)

I wish GAK well... I've bought from them once or twice in the past with no issues.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:23 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Interesting. I wonder if this is more of a noticeable effect depending on the nature of the source material? Unlike some folks here my sources are almost exclusively synthesizer based and doing few short test recordings using my Kronos using piano, pad, string and some combis I can't discern a difference between the result of playing back a recording made through the desk vs. the live sound when I route the output of the synth direct to the monitors (no desk in the chain).

Could be my ears of course but I'm reasonably tuned in to what sounds good, and in all honesty I can't tell the difference. Am I 'lucky' in that I'm not doing anything of note acoustically?

It was hearing the difference between a synth plugged into my mixer and directly into an audio interface that convinced me to go direct Eddy :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:02 am

Martin Walker wrote:It was hearing the difference between a synth plugged into my mixer and directly into an audio interface that convinced me to go direct Eddy :headbang:

Martin

Possibly a classic case of YMMV :) ... having done a few tests in my own environment, I was genuinely relieved that the transparency of the A&H Qu exceeds my ability to perceive any difference.

I should add that my humble studio is not acoustically treated in any way whatsoever as my sources are 99% electronic (and I process the heck out of the rare, but not unheard of, vox I do) but for non-acoustic sources I think that should cancel itself out in an A/B test and I'd have been rather bothered if I had noticed a difference (unless the desk actually made it sound better, which it didn't) ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:55 am

When I finally ditched the mixer, not only did my recordings sound cleaner, but it simplified the recording/monitoring process and gained me a whole lot of space for more important gear!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:36 pm

The Elf wrote:When I finally ditched the mixer, not only did my recordings sound cleaner, but it simplified the recording/monitoring process and gained me a whole lot of space for more important gear!

Now that sounds like a win/win situation! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:04 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I picked up a pre-enjoyed Samson SM10 line mixer for not a lot recently, and while it's no Neve, it's not at all bad soundwise and is quite versatile. Cost around £190 new.

Just as a quick follow-up, having acquired an SM10 I'm really impressed with it. For a 1U unit the flexibility provided by the main, mix B, monitor and FX send busses is quite something.

It does everything I was looking for and more besides. Thanks again for the pointer :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:41 pm

:thumbup: Glad you appreciate it as much as I do. :-)

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous